Traffic camera catches UPS truck hitting pedestrian

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Not saying the driver wasn't at fault but if you noticed it looks like it was a dark rainy night. Under those conditions it is very difficult to see.

oldngray

nowhere special
The traffic cam showed the driver stopped but it was hard to tell what else happened. If that woman was hurt so bad I can't imagine the driver just taking off after stopping. Maybe he asked if she was OK and she said she was so he left. Maybe she got hurt later. It just doesn't add up. He may have panicked because he was afraid UPS would fire him for hitting someone (what a shock).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The traffic cam showed the driver stopped but it was hard to tell what else happened. If that woman was hurt so bad I can't imagine the driver just taking off after stopping. Maybe he asked if she was OK and she said she was so he left. Maybe she got hurt later. It just doesn't add up. He may have panicked because he was afraid UPS would fire him for hitting someone (what a shock).

Did we watch the same video? He didn't just bump her---he pushed her down the road. Regardless of whether she insisted that she was OK, he should have stayed until the police, EMT's and his center manager arrived on scene.

We have an intersection similar to this one in my area. The right hand turn lane traffic signal has a sign above it which states that motorists must yield to pedestrians in walkway even when they have the green turn signal.

I have to think that the pedestrian had the white walk light---who the heck would cross all of those lanes of traffic against the light--- and that our guy did not yield to her as he did not see her.

The worst thing he could have done was what he did-----he left the scene of an accident with injuries to a pedestrian.

oldngray

nowhere special
Pedestrian had right of way and he just didn't see her. I wonder why this happened months ago but wasn't in the news.

Z

ZQXC

Her entire body is fully illuminated by the truck lights 2 seconds before impact. Her arms raise up as she tries to move away, giving additional visual cues to the driver that someone is in his travel path.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The driver was wrong for sure but I sure would like to see some hidden video of her. How does she walk when she thinks no cameras are watching?

How do you go to I'm OK to severe injuries? This reminds me of a 20-20 episode where one guy (alleged injured) won a big settlement but got caught on camera changing his lawyers flat on the way home from the court house! The brace he wore in the court room was off and there he was, bent over changing the tire.

oldngray

nowhere special
The driver was wrong for sure but I sure would like to see some hidden video of her. How does she walk when she thinks no cameras are watching?

How do you go to I'm OK to severe injuries? This reminds me of a 20-20 episode where one guy (alleged injured) won a big settlement but got caught on camera changing his lawyers flat on the way home from the court house! The brace he wore in the court room was off and there he was, bent over changing the tire.

Thats what I was thinking too. That woman later on saw $$$ and her injuries mysteriously got worse.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Wow...how could he just leave her in the road...even if he really believed he didn't hit her? I wouldn't leave a injured dog in the road, much less a human being! Thank god for traffic cameras sometimes.

HubBub

Strange that they never mention exactly what her injuries were. Local news loves detailing carnage. Can't blame her for being pissed, she easily could have been killed. Doesn't excuse her scamming the company (if that's what she's doing).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I have a question...the whole thing is allegedly caught on camera right? Why is this only a civil case..why wasn't the driver arrested and charged with leaving the scene of an accident? Maybe he did report it to his center, and was working as directed when he left the scene...

oldngray

nowhere special
All that matters is that the driver left the scene. He's toast and should be so.

He stopped and checked on her. If she said she was OK he might have thought it was OK to leave. And I am curious what the camera showed after he left. Whether she walked away as if nothing was wrong with her. Remember, we are only seeing the part that supports her case and makes a good news story. It doesn't excuse him but we still need all of the facts of the case.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
He stopped and checked on her. If she said she was OK he might have thought it was OK to leave. And I am curious what the camera showed after he left. Whether she walked away as if nothing was wrong with her. Remember, we are only seeing the part that supports her case and makes a good news story. It doesn't excuse him but we still need all of the facts of the case.
Yes agreed....there's more to this story. If this was as cut and dry as a rogue driver hitting a pedestrian, leaving the scene and not reporting it to UPS until the police show up at Brown with the traffic camera footage.....this driver would've been walked out of the building in handcuffs and UPS would've released a public statement condemning his actions.

10 point

Strange that they never mention exactly what her injuries were. Local news loves detailing carnage. Can't blame her for being pissed, she easily could have been killed. Doesn't excuse her scamming the company (if that's what she's doing).
There's something called HIPPA law that keeps personal injury info private.