Transfer as supervisor

UPSER061

So I plan on taking the supervisor test soon. I heard that my building, and others in the area, are desperate for PT supervisors. If I pass the test and get a promotion can I transfer to one of the other buildings in the area (one in particular is closer to my house) or do I have to stay where I am?

trickpony1

Why don't you ask your FT supe?

EDIT: or ask HR?

ANOTHER EDIT: your management team may not want to spend the time, effort and money to groom you as a PT supe so they can pimp you out to another building. Make sense?

Last edited:

UPSER061

Why don't you ask your FT supe?

EDIT: or ask HR?

ANOTHER EDIT: your management team may not want to spend the time, effort and money to groom you as a PT supe so they can pimp you out to another building. Make sense?
If I run to them for every question I have then what's the point of this site? Your last edit makes sense though

trickpony1

If I run to them for every question I have then what's the point of this site? Your last edit makes sense though

Later this evening there will be people here who are more than willing to explain why you shouldn't rely on this site for critical information

Last edited:

*Jersey*

That wouldn't be a trivial question to ask your management.
Also most aren't too management friendly here so you'll get a run around with topics like that.

UPSER061

Later this evening there will be people here who are more than willing to explain why you shouldn't rely on this site for critical information
That wouldn't be a trivial question to ask your management.
Also most aren't too management friendly here so you'll get a run around with topics like that.

It's a simple question. You'd think I'd get a simple yes or no response but I understand. I won't get my hopes up.

Duckwithapipboy

It's a simple question. You'd think I'd get a simple yes or no response but I understand. I won't get my hopes up.

Jersey is right in that it is a trivial question to ask for get confirmation. You'd have to talk to them anyways about getting a transfer.

"Hey, is it true that [this building] needs PT sups?"
"Yes."
"I would be willing to work there if I pass the test and were approved. How would we go about that?"
"Thanks for taking an interest, let me tell you..."

rod

Retired 22 years
Since when does UPS let someone do what they want to do. Chances are if he asks to be sent to a particular building they will send him to the other side of the state. That's how UPS operates.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
So I plan on taking the supervisor test soon. I heard that my building, and others in the area, are desperate for PT supervisors. If I pass the test and get a promotion can I transfer to one of the other buildings in the area (one in particular is closer to my house) or do I have to stay where I am?
Your best bet is to check out the management career opportunities on UPSers and apply for the PT Sup hub at the building you would like to transfer to before you make the bump. You're going to burn bridges instantly if you do it the way you're describing, and that is if they even let you do it. I know the managers I have worked for would tell me to pound sand if I tried that. Usually they want to see a year commitment, though sometimes less.

PrimeUPS

Here is the simple answer: No. Unless, you do as Frigid suggests and apply directly to another building.
A manager isn't going to put their name on your promotion only to ship you across the division. Manager's aren't fond of jettisoning good people.
However, not all is lost. In most cases, the District Operations/Transportation Manager green lights transfers. If they are fond of you, it might happen in spite of it all.
UPS is push and pull system. You need someone to push you forward and someone else to pull you up. To do as you would like, you would need your current management team to push you and the building you want to go would need to pull you to them. That's difficult even at middle manager levels.

UPSER061

Your best bet is to check out the management career opportunities on UPSers and apply for the PT Sup hub at the building you would like to transfer to before you make the bump. You're going to burn bridges instantly if you do it the way you're describing, and that is if they even let you do it. I know the managers I have worked for would tell me to pound sand if I tried that. Usually they want to see a year commitment, though sometimes less.

Thank you. I'll do that instead. I'm glad I didn't go straight to my management team and inform them of my plans first :thumbup:

UPSGUY72

I don't know how it works at a PT Sup and moving but as a FT Management person you have been a FT for 12 before you can move apply to another open position.

dudebro

That's how the MCO process works too. You have to have been in your current position for 12 months or you're ineligible. That said, if you are a strong performer who asks for more responsibility, it may become part of your career plan to move you to a larger building.

UPSGUY72

The test is challenging and it all done online and timed about 4 hours. You can do it from your home also. It's scenario driven and you have to prioritize what your going to do and what your not going do because there isn't enough time to do everything. Your basically running different companies or departments.... Good luck.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
The test is challenging and it all done online and timed about 4 hours. You can do it from your home also. It's scenario driven and you have to prioritize what your going to do and what your not going do because there isn't enough time to do everything. Your basically running different companies or departments.... Good luck.
The test for PT is not near that difficult or long.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
So you passed that one the first time?
Passed both the first time
IMG_3961.GIF