Transferring as a Driver

BlondeinBrown

I know guys, probably the hardest thing to do at this job...transferring.
Current situation: been with the company for 5 years, I work in a Northern California center, I’ve been a driver for about a year now, I started as a preloader. My husband is also a UPS driver here and he’s been driving only for a few months. Of course California sucks...we want out. I’m sure I’ll get heat for this but willing to post anyways. Since we’re already pretty much at the bottom of our senority list, doesn’t seem like such a big deal going somewhere else since we’re already at the bottom. ANYWAYS, If I wanted to at least try and transfer, anyone know where to start? We would like to go to Idaho, have family there. But honestly willing to move pretty much anywhere east/north. Thanks in advance.

Rack em

Made the Podium
From the sounds of it you will have to quit and get re hired where ever you decide to move to. Only the Western region allows transfers I believe and only Southern Cali is part of the Western region.

Box Ox

Yep. Quit and re-hire.

Lurkers: Please do not join UPS in an area/state you’re not ready to stick with. Right up there with no raw dogging unless you’re ready for a kid.

BlondeinBrown

I’ve been living here my whole life. Nor cal isn’t too bad but obviously if it was somewhat easy to leave we would possibly consider it. Had a manager come up to us the other day and said you guys needs to get out while you can lol don’t get me wrong, I am VERY thankful to be at the building I am at right now. Probably the only center I would wanna be at in California.

Box Ox

I guess my way to go would be to line something up (potato farming?) in Idaho and quit/rehire as a preloader there. If you’re not happy, you’re not happy. And it’s worth it to go if you’d be happier there and with family.

With that in mind, you’d probably go back to full time in Idaho under a future/worse contract and have to deal with any lesser pay/benefits/workday consequences that might bring.

BlondeinBrown

I guess my way to go would be to line something up (potato farming?) in Idaho and quit/rehire as a preloader there. If you’re not happy, you’re not happy. And it’s worth it to go if you’d be happier there and with family.

With that in mind, you’d probably go back to full time in Idaho under a future/worse contract and have to deal with any lesser pay/benefits/workday consequences that might bring.

Yeah honestly potato farmer sounds pretty legit I might just change my career, screw it!

CoolStoryBro

Current situation: been with the company for 5 years, I work in a Northern California center, I’ve been a driver for about a year now, I started as a preloader. My husband is also a UPS driver here and he’s been driving only for a few months. Of course California sucks...we want out. I’m sure I’ll get heat for this but willing to post anyways. Since we’re already pretty much at the bottom of our senority list, doesn’t seem like such a big deal going somewhere else since we’re already at the bottom. ANYWAYS, If I wanted to at least try and transfer, anyone know where to start? We would like to go to Idaho, have family there. But honestly willing to move pretty much anywhere east/north. Thanks in advance.

In October-ish the transfer sheet for the wester region is posted in the centers. You sign your name up and choose 2 centers you are interested in.

Each center takes a transfer hire on a 6-1 ratio. The spot goes by seniority.

Your odds of transferring are low. Both of you transferring to the same place at the same time is about zero percent chance. One would have to quit and follow the other.

IESucks

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Get on the transfer list now. Your husband can’t cause you need at least a year of seniority. You can go north of Paso Robles up to the Oregon border as well as Tahoe and Reno. You can be on three lists at a time. I’ve seen lists that never move and I’ve seen guys go from number 12 on the list to gone in two months because you don’t get much notice and people pass because they aren’t ready.as far as Idaho youd have to quit and reapply and at that point you’d lose all your vacation and everything.

browndevil

Get on the transfer list now. Your husband can’t cause you need at least a year of seniority. You can go north of Paso Robles up to the Oregon border as well as Tahoe and Reno. You can be on three lists at a time. I’ve seen lists that never move and I’ve seen guys go from number 12 on the list to gone in two months because you don’t get much notice and people pass because they aren’t ready.as far as Idaho youd have to quit and reapply and at that point you’d lose all your vacation and everything.
Yup! You can transfer anywhere within the NorCal agreement

CaliforniaPaul

Try Sparks Nv, they always looking for fresh meat!!