Transferring Question/Issue

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Hey all,

I'm a part time package handler at a hub in Washington. I've been here for a couple months & really enjoy the job. They pull me to whatever spot (unloading, loading, smalls, even clerking!) and I perform well and hardly make mistakes. I've been told I'm the best new hire in the past few months by an HR manager!

So, I really want to be a driver. With top rate being in the high 30's, I see myself doing it as a career. A PT Sup at my hub said by the time I turn 21 (in a little less than 3 years (yes I'm 18)) I will have more than enough seniority to start driving. However, my family is seriously considering moving to Arizona and I badly want to go with, however I don't want to give up my job at UPS and lose my seniority & have to put in more time to become a driver at a hub in Arizona where for all I know could take much longer than the 3 years it would take me here in Washington.
My question in a nutshell: If I were to stay here in WA, put in my time to become a driver, gain driver seniority after 30 days, is it possible to transfer to a hub in Arizona as a DRIVER? I just really don't want to restart as a package handler. How hard is it to transfer as a driver? I don't care what shi**y route they give me or how old the package car is, as long as I can stay a driver and not have to work as a PH for several more years.
Thanks UPS fam!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

With less than a year in it would be best for all involved for you to quit and get rehired once you move. Transfers can be quite involved and, to be blunt, you don't have enough time on the books to make it worth the hassle.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Back on track guys lol. I know I'll lose seniority if I move, but I'm asking if I'll still stay a driver. Since I will only have 3 years of seniority at my WA hub as a PH, while at one in AZ it might take their workers 6-7-8 years to be able to drive, will I have to start at square 1 again as a PH because of specific hubs' rules, or can I stay a driver if I transfer but start at the bottom of the driver seniority board?

thaliloldsup

NE Division
With less than a year in it would be best for all involved for you to quit and get rehired once you move. Transfers can be quite involved and, to be blunt, you don't have enough time on the books to make it worth the hassle.

I am attending school here for at least the next 2 years so quitting and restarting isn't an option. I have to stay here and finish my degree at the school I'm at due to tricky credit transfering.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am attending school here for at least the next 2 years so quitting and restarting isn't an option. I have to stay here and finish my degree at the school I'm at due to tricky credit transfering.

It would have helped had you made that part of your post.

Finish school----who knows, you may actually want to find a job in your major career field rather than deliver QVC to hoarders.

thaliloldsup

NE Division
Question is still unanswered... I'm not looking for advice or what to do with my degree..

If I'm a driver in WA with little seniority, is a transfer POSSIBLE to Arizona as a driver & not have to restart as a PH?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Question is still unanswered... I'm not looking for advice or what to do with my degree..

If I'm a driver in WA with little seniority, is a transfer POSSIBLE to Arizona as a driver & not have to restart as a PH?

Probably not.

km3

Yes, once you're FT you're FT. What you should be concerned about is whether they'll even allow a FT transfer in the first place. I've heard of it happening, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. It would be easier to get an education transfer while still PT using the contract, but your seniority will basically reset except for yearly raises, number of vacations, and benefits.

At the end of the day, @UpstateNYUPSer gave you the best advice: Finish your degree, and decide whether you want to drive after that.

Last edited:

thaliloldsup

NE Division
But the degree I'm earning now I absolutely hate but I'm too deep now to not get it. That's why it's not even an option for me. But thanks Upstate and bastiatian for the replies. Helps me a lot thanks guys:teethy:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

It's easier to transfer as a PTer....I did it. But I had years in...you only have a few months. For an $11 an hour job, it would probably cost you too much out of pocket to transfer.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Woah woah woah........you're 18 and worried about losing your seniority?!?!?!? You have less than a year. Quit in good standing and get rehired in Arizona and start over. It's one year, not 21.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Back on track guys lol. I know I'll lose seniority if I move, but I'm asking if I'll still stay a driver. Since I will only have 3 years of seniority at my WA hub as a PH, while at one in AZ it might take their workers 6-7-8 years to be able to drive, will I have to start at square 1 again as a PH because of specific hubs' rules, or can I stay a driver if I transfer but start at the bottom of the driver seniority board?
I transferred from so cal to Washington as a full time driver. Let me help you out. I would do what your saying. Stay in WA, become full time driver then put your name on the transfer list. The only seniority you lose is center seniority. All the time you put in still counts towards retirement. If your low on the center seniority list when they call you to transfer then you aren't really losing anything.