Transferring question

EJJ

UPS Package Car Driver
Ive currently been working for ups as a full time package car driver for about 9 months now. I’ve put in for a transfer to go closer to home. I currently drive 85 miles one way and paying $4-$6 dollars toll chargers and about $20 in gas a day and about a total commute time of 3 1/2 hrs a day) what would be the easiest to get a transfer? Resign and reapply? Thanks.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Ive currently been working for ups as a full time package car driver for about 9 months now. I’ve put in for a transfer to go closer to home. I currently drive 85 miles one way and paying $4-$6 dollars toll chargers and about $20 in gas a day and about a total commute time of 3 1/2 hrs a day) what would be the easiest to get a transfer? Resign and reapply? Thanks.
What state are you in? If you are in the western region you can transfer. If your not. Your stuck. I would move. It's not worth giving up seniority to shorten a commute. Plus there is no guarantee the building closer to where you live is hiring drivers. You might have to start over as part time. And with a contract coming up i wouldn't risk it. If things don't go well you just might screw yourself out of a career.

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
A few guys where I am had a similar situation and just moved closer to the center. Of course they were mortgage free and single.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Sounds like something that happens to San Fran drivers.
It's too expensive to live close to work so commutes become ridiculous.

If you are in a big building, you should have access to the HR office.
That would be your starting point.

sandwich

The resident gearhead

Crappy thing for those guys in San francisco is I don't think they can transfer. There are a few buildings within the western region that do not allow transfers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Would it make more sense to find a cheap apt or a co-worker who has a room to rent closer to the center where you could stay during the week?

BlackCat

I wouldn't give up what seniority I have to transfer to a building 30 minutes away. I would rather move. But that's just me.

My point being, at 9 months, he is probably already on the bottom of the seniority list. Doing it now will be a helluva lot less painful then it would be in 2-3 years.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

What's the job need at the place you want to go to if you quit? I would check that out first. Transferring is almost impossible!!

Dhydratd

If you really want the job, then move closer to it.
Take if from me, the job isn't going to get any better and you will hate it more and more each year.
Add your ridiculous commute and you will soon be ready to quit.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member

Yes it really sucks for us in San Fran. We can only transfer to any “Nor-Cal” building. I actually live 5 minutes from my building but the wife wants to move out of this tech-bro/homeless ridden city, and move to the country. I have 5 years in and at this point I don’t care about seniority anymore. I’ll keep my top rate pay regardless. Best case scenario for me is go feeder, than transfer to Sacramento. What do you think? Ye or ne?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Yes it really sucks for us in San Fran. We can only transfer to any “Nor-Cal” building. I actually live 5 minutes from my building but the wife wants to move out of this tech-bro/homeless ridden city, and move to the country. I have 5 years in and at this point I don’t care about seniority anymore. I’ll keep my top rate pay regardless. Best case scenario for me is go feeder, than transfer to Sacramento. What do you think? Ye or ne?
I'm from the Northeast so I don't know how it works in North Cal.
Everyone's afraid of getting a CDL, so that may be a quicker path for transfer.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
If your in feeder and transfer you will go back to package.