Transferring to another belt

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Birdblue, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Birdblue

Birdblue Member

i was wondering how does transferring to another belt work? I was wanting to transfer to unload and wanted to know the ins and outs to go about doing so and also the ups and downs of doing so. Thanks.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  2. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I would just show up at the new position you want and just start working like you been there for years. That's how I became a driver.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

Not exactly sure what you mean by transferring to another belt. If you mean another shift, see HR and you have to have a year with the company. They will put you on a list by seniority. If you mean just doing another job on the same shift, good luck. You'll never get what you want, they'll put you everywhere they need you except the spot you want to be.

5. OrionIsDaddy

OrionIsDaddy Member

Uhhhh maybe ask your supervisor

6. moomoom

moomoom New Member

Tell your sup you wanna switch to unload and start working a lot slower until they move you. Might take awhile but they will get the hint. Worked for me.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  7. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

They put you where they need you , this isn’t McDonalds , you can’t “have it your way”

8. km3

km3 Well-Known Member

Just ask. And if they hire someone off the street before moving you, grieve it.

9. JL 0513

JL 0513 Well-Known Member

* Burger King®

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. km3

km3 Well-Known Member

Once you have seniority you can.

11. km3

km3 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, unloading is one of the more physical jobs around here. I wouldn't do it unless I had to leave as early as possible each day. Getting out early is the biggest benefit to unloading.

I would rather load trailers, and get out an hour and a half later (or longer) than unload and get out early, but that's just me.

12. The Range

The Range In too deep

You're right, this isn't Mcdonalds. We have something called "rights". OP, use your seniority to pick a preferred job. If they don't have the list up (they should) - easier for you.

13. Nimnim

Nimnim The Nim

Article 22.4

It's easier to make friends with the FT sup and the PT sups for the areas you may end up in and tell them how much you'll tear it up for them.

14. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

I don't believe unload is a preferred job. And while you can bid a preload job, I don't think you can bid a specific belt or set of cars.

15. polyp

polyp Member

Never underestimate the power of office politics between sups of different areas. They're usually at odds anyways. The times I've chosen to flip areas, sups have done most of the work to get me moved.