Transforming Smalls

Integrity

Binge Poster
I work in a hub. I work two shifts - one shift is small sort.
We typically see 15k-18k smalls a night on this shift. Probably 60k smalls a day in this hub.

Smalls are going onto the belts back to the primary all of the time. It's the UPS way.

Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This is not the UPS way.

Just because local management are unable to or refuse to handle smalls properly, that does not make it the UPS way. Please check out upsers.com for the UPS way to handle smalls. All local management who refuse or are unable to do this should reach out to Corporate so the Corporate Operations people can come down and show them how to do what they want done. Corporate UPS says it is never acceptable to place smalls on belts or rollers. Never! If they don't reach out then they should be reported to Corporate for intentionally operating in a way that is known to damage customer's packages. This is detrimental the future of UPS and must be stopped.

Sincerely,
I

L

Loufan

Integrity, you need to go to my hub and tell small sort to stop stuffing the bags with 100's of those little bricks they've been shipping. I swear I had a 100lb bag today, and a few more I couldn't get to the top of a wall.

Hubrat98

For the most part, I know which parcels to containerize as smalls. If there is any question I usually just treat it as a small. I think smalls that are properly containerized have the best chance of going through the UPS system undamaged.

I have one question, however. Are the ARS HP Toner cartridges smalls or not? If they are, does it really matter if we treat them as smalls since they are destined for disposal anyway? I Would love to hear some comments on this...

They're considered small. A small is any package 16"x16"x7" and weighing less than 8lbs. Roughly the size of three stacked pizza boxes.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

This is not the UPS way.

Just because local management are unable to or refuse to handle smalls properly, that does not make it the UPS way. Please check out upsers.com for the UPS way to handle smalls. All local management who refuse or are unable to do this should reach out to Corporate so the Corporate Operations people can come down and show them how to do what they want done. Corporate UPS says it is never acceptable to place smalls on belts or rollers. Never! If they don't reach out then they should be reported to Corporate for intentionally operating in a way that is known to damage customer's packages. This is detrimental the future of UPS and must be stopped.

Sincerely,
I

What is defined as "never placed on a roller". I know what a roller is, obviously, just curious as to the specifics. I ask because our smalls in the clerical area are SPAd on roller systems.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They're considered small. A small is any package 16"x16"x7" and weighing less than 8lbs. Roughly the size of three stacked pizza boxes.

Depends on where you work. In the buildings I worked in ENE, it's similar to what you say. However in NNE, our small sort is anything 8 pounds or less ( you said under 8 pounds) and size wize, if it fits inside the bins. So basically, a 30"x20" LL bean can go if you fold it up into a ball. :D

Hubrat98

Depends on where you work. In the buildings I worked in ENE, it's similar to what you say. However in NNE, our small sort is anything 8 pounds or less ( you said under 8 pounds) and size wize, if it fits inside the bins. So basically, a 30"x20" LL bean can go if you fold it up into a ball. :D

We get those LL Bean loads. It's great volume for the hub, lots of bypass bags. You're right about the weight, it's 8 pounds or less. In my s.s. a 16x16x7 package will fit in the bin openings on the sorter side but they are too large for the openings on the bagger side. Typical UPS planning.

iowa boy

We get those LL Bean loads. It's great volume for the hub, lots of bypass bags. You're right about the weight, it's 8 pounds or less. In my s.s. a 16x16x7 package will fit in the bin openings on the sorter side but they are too large for the openings on the bagger side. Typical UPS planning.

Have been told here lately by the smalls group that anything under 10 pounds and that will fit in a bag is now considered a small. Glad Im not doing smalls anymore.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

we're both in chema, maybe? lol I work smalls on the mid.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity, you need to go to my hub and tell small sort to stop stuffing the bags with 100's of those little bricks they've been shipping. I swear I had a 100lb bag today, and a few more I couldn't get to the top of a wall.

Loufan,
Although occassionally a smalls bag will inadvertently be filled in excess of the 70lb maximum, if this is a persistant, chronic problem then it should be addressed in the manner of your choosing. Is this a persistent, chronic problem in your facility?
Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hubrat98,
Are you telling me that a 16x16x7 package doesn't fit out the small sort bin side because of the door? Could you please explain in detail? Do they not fit or is it just a little more difficult to process a smalls package that is a maximum size smalls package?

Sincerely,
I

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Hubrat98,
Are you telling me that a 16x16x7 package doesn't fit out the small sort bin side because of the door? Could you please explain in detail? Do they not fit or is it just a little more difficult to process a smalls package that is a maximum size smalls package?

Sincerely,
I

It's the same at our hub and likely similar or identical bins. Correct, the door opens so it angles upwards, reducing the clearance versus the wide slot sorters sort into. Therefore the size of a package going in does not equate to it coming out.

Hubrat98

It's the same at our hub and likely similar or identical bins. Correct, the door opens so it angles upwards, reducing the clearance versus the wide slot sorters sort into. Therefore the size of a package going in does not equate to it coming out.

You got it! At least things are standardized from building to building.

MonavieLeaker

Bringin Teh_Lulz
Integrity:

Local smalls sort packages, envelopes come down SEPERATELY, NOT IN A TOTE! In fact, there is a whole BIG slide for people to BREAK DOWN THE TOTES and 'shake' all contents of the totes for the sorters to sort out. The local smalls comes to me via a belt, I put a PAL sticker on it.

You work on the secondary slide?

freecarry88

Re: Transforming Smalls
Originally Posted by freecarry88
I, Are loose smalls placed on the conveyor in your facility? freecarry,
Yes.
Sincerely, I

I,
How have you addressed this in your facility?

Last edited: