Truck driver killed after becoming pinned under double trailer at UPS facility

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
W

What The Hawk?

Truck driver killed after becoming pinned under double trailer at UPS facility - Fox San Antonio

A man died after he became pinned under a double trailer at a UPS facility on the city's Northeast Side on Tuesday morning.

According to police, a truck driver was loading packages into the back when the trailer started moving at about 5:30 a.m.

He ran toward the cab in an attempt to stop the rig, but he became pinned under one of the tires.
Everything in me would be screaming to not run after a big ass vehicle like that. I have a huge fear of semis/trailers and forklifts. Man what a horrible way to go. :(

W

What The Hawk?

Yes, but if it's your rig, your responsibility, you want to stop it before it kills someone else.
I'd rather be alive than risk being crushed while chasing after a big rig. I'll never drive those. Never ever. They scare me.

W

What The Hawk?

One story says he was loading the trailers the other says he was hooking them up. Either way. Awful.

W

What The Hawk?

Hooking them up makes more sense. I couldn't understand why he would be loading.
Oops, I hit disagree on accident. I'm in the trailers when the truck driver hooks the cab up to the trailer..certainly not a gentle process. Def makes more sense. I assume it was rolling at a pretty decent speed.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Hooking them up makes more sense. I couldn't understand why he would be loading.
We had a feeder driver in Minny that would stay and shift during preload. If he had a trailer that was 10% and another that was fairly light he'd unload it in the yard while we finished the one on the door.

W

What The Hawk?

Imagine watching it hit someone and kill someone and living with the idea that you perhaps could have done something to prevent it.
Yes. That would be awful to live with. I just have an extreme fear of semis, always have so I just say i wouldn't run after one. Who knows though when the time actually comes down to it..people act within a split second and do things they never thought they would.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've pulled a set off the door only to have them come running out to tell me they found some more packages for the rear trailer. At that point I gotta get out, unseal the rear trailer, gently place the packages inside and then seal it back up. Not a normal occurrence but it does happen.

rod

Retired 22 years
Imagine watching it hit someone and kill someone and living with the idea that you perhaps could have done something to prevent it.

I watched a big flat bed lumber truck come around a corner and run right over a lady who was crossing the street who apparently was in his mirror blind spot. She threw her baby out of the way at the last second. It lived -- she was squashed.

flatbread

Occasional Lurker
I've pulled a set off the door only to have them come running out to tell me they found some more packages for the rear trailer. At that point I gotta get out, unseal the rear trailer, gently place the packages inside and then seal it back up. Not a normal occurrence but it does happen.
I try my best not to be a pain to drivers like that. If I see a seal, I hand the package to the sup. Some are more irrationally zealous than others.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I watched a big flat bed lumber truck come around a corner and run right over a lady who was crossing the street who apparently was in his mirror blind spot. She threw her baby out of the way at the last second. It lived -- she was squashed.
Bet you could have done without seeing that.

GOD bless that driver and his family who've lost. It was the last of probably many heroic and selfless things he's done in life and even now, death. May his family mourn in peace.