Trump trade policies could cost millions of U.S. jobs and hurt companies like UPS

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Trump trade policies could cost millions of U.S. jobs and hurt companies like UPS - Marketwatch

President-elect Donald Trump’s promises to take U.S. trade policy in a new and radically different direction has created uncertainty for major companies whose businesses rely on moving goods across borders, as well as American workers who depend on trade for their livelihood.

“Attempts to protect U.S. manufacturers through renegotiating free-trade agreements may backfire, by hampering global supply chains and export markets,” Morgan Stanley wrote in a note published Wednesday.

bbsam

Staff member
Trump trade policies could cost millions of U.S. jobs and hurt companies like UPS - Marketwatch

President-elect Donald Trump’s promises to take U.S. trade policy in a new and radically different direction has created uncertainty for major companies whose businesses rely on moving goods across borders, as well as American workers who depend on trade for their livelihood.

“Attempts to protect U.S. manufacturers through renegotiating free-trade agreements may backfire, by hampering global supply chains and export markets,” Morgan Stanley wrote in a note published Wednesday.
Really? Wow. Now they tell us...

bbsam

Staff member
It's almost like most Americans don't understand trade. Like they think everything has a simple solution and then all would be great. I guess tough lessons coming .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It's almost like most Americans don't understand trade. Like they think everything has a simple solution and then all would be great. I guess tough lessons coming .
Import trade barriers begats export trade barriers with affected countries.

Mr.nobody

Trump is lowering corporate tax down to 15%, which will increase profits; increase investors. Trade policy will bring money to the US, which will increase consumer spending spending. IT WILL HELP UPS.

Returntosender

Exporting would increase not decrease. Small package services would grow internationally from US.
Well, the Alaska air gateway operations says you are wrong. 7 wide body planes a day fly from Alaska to Asia and Asia to Alaska, the majority of the revenue volume is from the Asia to US leg, rather than the US to Asia leg.

Global Sources - Corporate Information The one stop shop for America companies wanting to buy made in Asia and sold in America.

badpal

Well rather he hurts or helps trade, I not smart enough to guess. But it sure didn't hurt UPS stock this week.

bbsam

Staff member
Trump is lowering corporate tax down to 15%, which will increase profits; increase investors. Trade policy will bring money to the US, which will increase consumer spending spending. IT WILL HELP UPS.
Of course! Lower corporate tax rates! That will fix it! Why didn't anyone think about that before?!

Last edited: