Trust UPS

Dick Dastardly

I got the call that I will start the first Monday in October for a full time permanent feeder off the street. My gut tells me something is shady by making me wait for three more weeks to start being that I conveniently won’t make the thirty days before the freeze. I’ve been assured that it’s a full time permanent job but why should I have to wait three months to qualify if so? Why not bring me in sooner to make my thirty before November? I’m not sure it’s worth leaving my job for a chance of something shady like not being retained in January.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
They’re some shady mutha:censored2:as
That’s exactly what they’re doing gonna string you along until after peak then. Maybe they’ll hire you and maybe they won’t

Dick Dastardly

They’re some shady mutha:censored2:as
That’s exactly what they’re doing gonna string you along until after peak then. Maybe they’ll hire you and maybe they won’t
That’s what my gut says too. They’re supposedly hiring twelve and I’ve been assured by the contacts I’ve made it’s permanent but I’ve been in trucking 23 years so I’m cynical and have trust issues with companies to say the least. There’s no reason to make me wait if you truly intend on keeping me.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
That’s what my gut says too. They’re supposedly hiring twelve and I’ve been assured by the contacts I’ve made it’s permanent but I’ve been in trucking 23 years so I’m cynical and have trust issues with companies to say the least. There’s no reason to make me wait if you truly intend on keeping me.
Here Oct. 1st is the day the free period starts for feeders. You would be a casual. You would likely be let go prior Jan. 15th. If they kept you on after Jan 15th you would gain seniority. If business needs picked up later in the winter, and all seniority drivers were already working, they would attempt to call back the “best“ people. You are being treated as those that have come before you, even if they need people they don’t like to put them on until after Oct 1st. The company will always hold out until October. This gives them the flexibility to not have to keep you on, if the powers that be change there minds on staffing needs. Local management will not get a say in how many are kept if any. It all comes from above. Those dates I mentioned above are not the same throughout the company. They vary due to union contracts (supplements) differing around the country. I wouldn’t let anything I’ve said above discourage you if your intent is to work here. There are many people that eventually gained seniority exactly the way I explained above.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It's really worth the try.
I started as a peak driver and left a job knowing I'd only be working 2 months. The way I figured it , trucking jobs are out there so why not take the risk for making double the wages and all the benefits.

yes I was laid off right after new years
yes was able to get another non union trucking job.

5 months later UPS called and asked me if I wanted some work.
Yes, I did, and then got my seniority and worked here for almost another 23 years.

Retired at 58 with a good pension.

Weigh the pros and cons and risks, The way I see it you don't have much to lose.
You may get on full time or not. Plenty of good trucking jobs out there but UPS is about the best.

rod

Retired 22 years
Even usps has stickers on their tractors that say they are hiring class a cdl.
Our local USPS had a tent set up on their front lawn last week with a big sign that said "Hiring ALL positions". They are so short handed around here we only get mail maybe 4 days a week. My last meds I got from the VA took 12 days to get delivered from 60 miles away.

PT Car Washer

Our local USPS had a tent set up on their front lawn last week with a big sign that said "Hiring ALL positions". They are so short handed around here we only get mail maybe 4 days a week. My last meds I got from the VA took 12 days to get delivered from 60 miles away.
Unbelievable since VA meds are a priority package.

ManInBrown

So let me get this straight. You haven’t worked one day for UPS and they told you that you’re in? Congrats you’re hired. We look forward to the next 25 years with you working here. Lolol. Doesn’t work like that.

Dick Dastardly

I turned the job down. The human resources person kept insisting I was full time permanent and guaranteed my forty hours etc. even come January if they didn’t have work for me, and I could work inside at driver pay. I insisted to her that wasn’t the case if I wasn’t on the seniority list with my thirty punches under me. They said I was wrong and they weren’t sure where I was getting my information. They even wanted me to take another drug test, as my old one had “expired”. It all just seems like bull:censored2:. Good luck hiring anyone with this horse :censored2: process.

100%

I got the call that I will start the first Monday in October for a full time permanent feeder off the street. My gut tells me something is shady by making me wait for three more weeks to start being that I conveniently won’t make the thirty days before the freeze. I’ve been assured that it’s a full time permanent job but why should I have to wait three months to qualify if so? Why not bring me in sooner to make my thirty before November? I’m not sure it’s worth leaving my job for a chance of something shady like not being retained in January.
They’ll classify you as seasonal so they can get rid of you after peak. Just my guess.

Dick Dastardly

They’ll classify you as seasonal so they can get rid of you after peak. Just my guess.
Well she insisted I was permanent full time but peak starts Oct 15th so no way to make my thirty. It isn’t worth jumping through hoops and leaving a full time job to go make $21 hourly for “ifs and buts”…. I only wanted the job for the benefits being that I’m in my early forties but I’m too old to play games. I’ll leave that to the young ‘ns. I could be dead wrong but I feel like they strung out my start date to intentionally avoid me making my thirty. I told them that too, but of course they denied that as well.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The way HR is so screwed up, it's likely you'll be told to report to work next week.

Exactly one year after I had left the job for surgery which forced my retirement 6 months later, I got 3 calls from HR over the course of three days. The first was to tell me that I had been medically cleared to return to work ( without ever seeing their doctor ). The second call was for the same ( caller must have a bad memory ) and the third was to ask if I returned all my uniforms ( I had stopped driving 5 years before ).

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I turned the job down. The human resources person kept insisting I was full time permanent and guaranteed my forty hours etc. even come January if they didn’t have work for me, and I could work inside at driver pay. I insisted to her that wasn’t the case if I wasn’t on the seniority list with my thirty punches under me. They said I was wrong and they weren’t sure where I was getting my information. They even wanted me to take another drug test, as my old one had “expired”. It all just seems like bull:censored2:. Good luck hiring anyone with this horse :censored2: process.

Hol up cowboy
UPS don’t make you piss pre eMployment So whatcha talking about

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Hol up cowboy
UPS don’t make you piss pre eMployment So whatcha talking about
What CDL Drivers Need to Know
DOT drug and alcohol tests include:

Pre-employment – An employer must receive a negative drug test result before permitting a CDL driver to operate a CMV. (§382.301).

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I turned the job down.
Come on man, quitters never win, and winners never quit! Get back in there!

trans.gif

Last edited:

Gman33909

Isn't it the center managers discretion if they keep a driver even during peak. I've seen this happen, but not sure about seasonal

FeederTheD

I also had to wait. The HR lady told me they had to promote within the company first. Due to union policy. I think it’s 6 guys per off the street hire. They had 6 employees who were in the process of going through either getting their CDL or going through training/orientation. Forgot the EXACT reason but I know it was to promote within. HR should’ve been more direct with you. I don’t blame you for not taking the job lol that definitely sounded iffy.