Trying to get a job as a feeder driver in South Jersey.

ManjotRulz

FXG guy trying to be a feeder at ups.
Hi,

I am trying to get a job as a feeder driver around south jersey area. From what i see there is the Lawnside hub, PHL airport hub and a location in Cinnaminson nd vineland where i could possibly commute. There are currently 2 job postings near me, the one at PHL says no appointment times available when i try to apply and other in cinnaminson wont let me apply coz i dont have haz-mat yet.

What is the best way to get into ups as a feeder. Do i have to join as a package handler and work my way to to feeder. Also if i understand correctly, at ups we have to bid for feeder positions. How long is the bidding wait time for a new hirie, if i join as a part time packege handler while still working my FXG job.

I have 2+ years of driving tractor trailers. Did NJ to CA/TX reefer team runs for less than 2 years. After this corona thing started, i quit the long haul and got job with fedex ground contractor. Home every day, hourly mostly night line haul runs. Have doubles/tripple nd tanker endorsement. Did the background for hazmat but covid shut the dmv. Will get hazmat soon as well.

Edit: I'm 23 years old. All replies are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

WannaBeFeeder

Depends on how big the hub is as far as wait time I’m in the Midwest we have about 85 feeders and 5 sleeper teams. Nobody inside the hub wants to be a feeder so we’ve hired 15+ off the street this year alone (Because of COVID were swamped) a lot of fedex guys are coming over. You don’t need Hazmat to be a feeder driver, although I’ve heard a few hubs require it but that might be a UPS freight job that your looking at requiring Hazmat

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We don't need haz-mat, so I'm guessing that place at Cinnaminson is a UPS Freight bld. Keep in mind that UPS and UPS Freight are separate companies with different pay scales, benefits, etc.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
1599397639851.gif

You must be able to do this

Poop Head

Judge me.
Hi,

I am trying to get a job as a feeder driver around south jersey area. From what i see there is the Lawnside hub, PHL airport hub and a location in Cinnaminson nd vineland where i could possibly commute. There are currently 2 job postings near me, the one at PHL says no appointment times available when i try to apply and other in cinnaminson wont let me apply coz i dont have haz-mat yet.

What is the best way to get into ups as a feeder. Do i have to join as a package handler and work my way to to feeder. Also if i understand correctly, at ups we have to bid for feeder positions. How long is the bidding wait time for a new hirie, if i join as a part time packege handler while still working my FXG job.

I have 2+ years of driving tractor trailers. Did NJ to CA/TX reefer team runs for less than 2 years. After this corona thing started, i quit the long haul and got job with fedex ground contractor. Home every day, hourly mostly night line haul runs. Have doubles/tripple nd tanker endorsement. Did the background for hazmat but covid shut the dmv. Will get hazmat soon as well.

Move away from south Jersey.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hi,

They are gonna need twenty more in LAWNJ. Just waiting to train from the bid sheet since DMV was shut down. It’s not Cinnaminson, that’s Pennsauken that has UPS freight. LAWNJ has put on over 100 off the street feeder in the past couple years. I’m sure there’s a list so apply.

ManInBrown

Hi,

Apply for seasonal off the street. My advice to you would be to try to get in at Lawnside. Very weak local. Coyotes allowed right on property. Not saying you would be hired but you would have a better chance to be kept in a weak local IMO. Management can play games with the ratio.

MyTripisCut

Apply for seasonal off the street. My advice to you would be to try to get in at Lawnside. Very weak local. Coyotes allowed right on property. Not saying you would be hired but you would have a better chance to be kept in a weak local IMO. Management can play games with the ratio.
Why do you keep saying this about being allowed on property? All subcontractors have to drop in the inbound lanes and leave immediately at this building.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Lawnside doesn't have classification seniority, which is a huge plus. You never lose your FT seniority. Strongest local in Jersey imho. If you're coming off the street your best bet is a weak local like 177 which will allow you to select work ahead of guys who have worked for the company for 25 years as long as you get into feeders one day before they do.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lawnside doesn't have classification seniority, which is a huge plus. You never lose your FT seniority. Strongest local in Jersey imho. If you're coming off the street your best bet is a weak local like 177 which will allow you to select work ahead of guys who have worked for the company for 25 years as long as you get into feeders one day before they do.
That's not weakness. Stay in your classification and you will not lose anything.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's not weakness. Stay in your classification and you will not lose anything.
If you think it's perfectly ok for a guy off the street with 3 months seniority to select work ahead of someone who has busted his ass in package for 25 years, then we will just have to disagree.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
If you think it's perfectly ok for a guy off the street with 3 months seniority to select work ahead of someone who has busted his ass in package for 25 years, then we will just have to disagree.
It is what it is. Usually, the dude from package doesn't want to work nights for his or wifey's convenience. Later on, it is easier to change schedules, so they want to waltz in and bump guys that for years had to live with the grueling hours that is feeders.

MyTripisCut

It is what it is. Usually, the dude from package doesn't want to work nights for his or wifey's convenience. Later on, it is easier to change schedules, so they want to waltz in and bump guys that for years had to live with the grueling hours that is feeders.
By that logic, the bumped Feeder driver that dealt with “grueling” hours could’ve went to package and had it made?