Trying to help a co worker retain employment

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This is a pt sup, so please leave now, if you do not wish to give your knowledge to help.

He came in yesterday and said UPS is terminating him if he isnt back by Dec.

I thought sick people had some kind of protection. He was diagnosed with cancer, has had many surgeries and his doctors said, June he could come back.

He only got short term disability, so he is living on a wing and a prayer, already lost his home,ssi, denied his first claim waiting on his appeal.

I thought fmla protected you a year, he said 12 weeks.

what are his options after 17 yrs of employment, is he just sol?

10 point

This is a pt sup, so please leave now, if you do not wish to give your knowledge to help.

I thought sick people had some kind of protection. He was diagnosed with cancer, has had many surgeries and his doctors said, June he could come back.

He only got short term disability, so he is living on a wing and a prayer, already lost his home,ssi, denied his first claim waiting on his appeal.

FMLA

10 point

He needs to talk to a labor atty. There's no way anyone else on here has all the updated information that's available through the various venues.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Is he so sickly that he cannot return to work in December and work until the January then take another 12 weeks FMLA ?
He would if ups would give allow it. He cannot lift, sometimes still needs cane. Very little stairs. So ups said he,needs to be 100%.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
He needs to talk to a labor atty. There's no way anyone else on here has all the updated information that's available through the various venues.
I know, but i found out late friday night, so i just needed something to bounce to him on Monday morning. This is a good place to get that

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
He has applied for ssi disability. Pt only has short term, 6 months. Fmla is,all done.

PT management doesn't have long-term disability ?

Wow.

My daughter is currently on FMLA as childbirth is technically considered to be a disability.

There is an exclusion to that.

If you are within x number of weeks of delivery, you would use short term disability.

Inside of that, you use FMLA.

Is he so sickly that he cannot return to work in December and work until the January then take another 12 weeks FMLA ?

He would be unable to accrue the minimum number of hours required to be approved for the second round of FMLA.

And unless he had documented hours exceeding 1250....

Part-timers only get 6 weeks.

He would if ups would give allow it. He cannot lift, sometimes still needs cane. Very little stairs. So ups said he,needs to be 100%.

His only hope, might be if UPS was willing to make an ADA accommodated job for him.

He needs to check that aspect. He might qualify.

-Bug-

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BUG, she has told me that she is eligible to receive STD for the first 6 weeks of her 12 week FMLA. Post partum is divided in to 2 halves-----the first 6 weeks is medical while the second is bonding. They will pay you to recover from the birth but not to get to know the baby. The medical portion can be taken intermittently while the bonding must be taken continuously.

The rules differ if both husband and wife work for the same company and both wish to take FMLA at the same time.