Tuesday through Saturday 6 day work week

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Quick question for all you much more intelligent upsers than myself. Since starting Saturday ground delivery in April of last year we have always had the Tuesday off following a holiday that falls on a Monday. With this week coming up they are stopping that and having us work the regular Tuesday through Saturday while getting paid for the holiday Monday which to my understanding would be a 6 punch. My question is can they do this but also how can they force that upon us without making the Monday through Friday drivers do the same? Any response is appreciated and I apologize in advance for the poor grammar. English was never my best subject. Also located in the Ohio valley district if that helps anyone.

Misthios

So I could enjoy the same 3 day weekend with my family that others get to enjoy. There is more to life than work and money but maybe that's just me.

GenericUsername

It would seem like you have a really valid argument seeing that the holiday falls on your 'weekend.' If it were to fall on a Sunday, everyone would have Monday off. Why shouldn't you have the Tuesday off if it falls on a Monday? Only seems fair to me. Worth a call to your BA and a grievance if they force it.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Quick question for all you much more intelligent upsers than myself. Since starting Saturday ground delivery in April of last year we have always had the Tuesday off following a holiday that falls on a Monday. With this week coming up they are stopping that and having us work the regular Tuesday through Saturday while getting paid for the holiday Monday which to my understanding would be a 6 punch. My question is can they do this but also how can they force that upon us without making the Monday through Friday drivers do the same? Any response is appreciated and I apologize in advance for the poor grammar. English was never my best subject. Also located in the Ohio valley district if that helps anyone.
Same as when the first Saturday of peak came I had to work and Saturday guys had Monday off it’s really up to management to decide that. And we also have Sunday as holiday and we don’t get an extra day off so you will have an extra days pay on your Check for the holiday did you really think they would give you an extra day off the supplement the holiday you already had off. News flash it’s UPS if it’s a working none holiday you will be working.

BigBrown87

So I could enjoy the same 3 day weekend with my family that others get to enjoy. There is more to life than work and money but maybe that's just me.
I agree with your statement about money isn’t everything but UPS doesn’t share the same ideology that we do. Last year we got Monday off for Christmas but we didn’t get two days for the New Year’s Eve that landed on a Sunday so like I said you will receive extra pay for holiday.

bumped

By us the Tuesday through Saturday guys will get Tuesday off. The guy at the top of the Tuesday/Sat gets screwed all the time. Sometimes he is scheduled Mon-Friday and other weeks Tues -Sat. So, some weeks he only gets 1 day off. That's piss poor to change his classification each week depending on staffing.

bumped

I would never have signed up to be a driver if I had to work Saturdays. In 20 years I've never worked a Sat. Hopefully I won't be forced a 6th day when the new contract is ratified.

bumped

Thinking about it. We've lost 11 drivers in the past 6 months to quitting, going into feeders, or taking 22.3 jobs. Lost another 2 to retirement. We hire maybe 2 out of every 10 that go through the class. We're short 15 drivers right now.

PT Car Washer

Thinking about it. We've lost 11 drivers in the past 6 months to quitting, going into feeders, or taking 22.3 jobs. Lost another 2 to retirement. We hire maybe 2 out of every 10 that go through the class. We're short 15 drivers right now.
Wow. Only good reason to stay is you are moving up the seniority ladder. I hope.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I agree with your statement about money isn’t everything but UPS doesn’t share the same ideology that we do. Last year we got Monday off for Christmas but we didn’t get two days for the New Year’s Eve that landed on a Sunday so like I said you will receive extra pay for holiday.
If that's a picture of you and your real name change both for the love of god.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
understanding would be a 6 punch

No. it would not be a 6th punch. The Holiday does not occur during your scheduled work week.

Article 12 Section 8 of the Central is clear on this issue.

can they do this

Yes.

how can they force that upon us without making the Monday through Friday drivers do the same?

And how do you suggest they make the M-friend employees do the same?

UPS is closed on Monday.

I get it. You're getting screwed out of a day off. But you are also getting an extra days pay.

And, contractually, you are not entitled to the day off unless the Holiday, or the observed Holiday, falls within your work week, T-S.

Another drawback to this alternate work week.

Central Region Supplement

Article 12

Section 8

In a scheduled workweek in which there is a paid holiday, the guaranteed
workweek shall be thirty-two (32) hours; in any scheduled
workweek in which there are two (2) paid holidays, the guaranteed
workweek shall be twenty-four (24) hours, etc. For hours worked in
excess of thirty-two (32) or twenty-four (24) hours in a week, as
applicable, an employee shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half
(1 1/2) time the regular straight-time rate, provided the holiday or
holidays fall within the scheduled workweek.

BigBrown87

If that's a picture of you and your real name change both for the love of god.
Why I have nothing to hide and that is my daughter. I personally hope your not taking a shot at my family that’s really low and a cheap shot. I have nothing to hide by using my name everything I say here I say in my life at work. Don’t need a fake user name to hide from what people think of me.

Misthios

No. it would not be a 6th punch. The Holiday does not occur during your scheduled work week.

Article 12 Section 8 of the Central is clear on this issue.

Yes.

And how do you suggest they make the M-friend employees do the same?

UPS is closed on Monday.

I get it. You're getting screwed out of a day off. But you are also getting an extra days pay.

And, contractually, you are not entitled to the day off unless the Holiday, or the observed Holiday, falls within your work week, T-S.

Another drawback to this alternate work week.

Central Region Supplement

Article 12

Section 8

In a scheduled workweek in which there is a paid holiday, the guaranteed
workweek shall be thirty-two (32) hours; in any scheduled
workweek in which there are two (2) paid holidays, the guaranteed
workweek shall be twenty-four (24) hours, etc. For hours worked in
excess of thirty-two (32) or twenty-four (24) hours in a week, as
applicable, an employee shall be paid at the rate of one and one-half
(1 1/2) time the regular straight-time rate, provided the holiday or
holidays fall within the scheduled workweek.
Thank you very much. That was the exact info I was looking for. I appreciate you taking the time to answer that. I really do. Have a good new years.