Tuition assistance questions

pencils

Hi. Sorry if this might be in the wrong forum. Wasn't sure which would be a good one.
Anyway, I recently got hired as a package handler and wanted to know about the tuition assistance. The thing is, the website only mentions the 4AM-9AM shift and the 10PM-3AM shift, and I got hired for the 4:30PM-9:30PM shift, so now I'm freaking out about whether I'm eligible to receive the tuition assistance or not. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to, but I thought I'd check to be sure anyway. I don't see why they'd only limit the assistance to those shifts only.

Also, does the $300 bonus actually mean I get to spend it on whatever expenses? Because it'd be awesome if I could save that to take more classes if I wanted to.
Thanks!

upschuck

You only get the tuition reimbursement for the sorts they say, most likely they have a hard time keeping employees for those shifts. Check to see if you can change shifts and reasons why with your FT sup, and with HR if you want to change.

You only get $300 tuition assistance? Here it is up to $5000+/year. Yes, you can spend it on anything.

pencils

You only get the tuition reimbursement for the sorts they say, most likely they have a hard time keeping employees for those shifts. Check to see if you can change shifts and reasons why with your FT sup, and with HR if you want to change.

You only get $300 tuition assistance? Here it is up to $5000+/year. Yes, you can spend it on anything.

Really? Bummer. Well then, I'll ask them! They just did a mass hiring here anyway in the past couple weeks, so we'll see!
I meant the allowance. We get $300/month, or $500 a month if you're a veteran.
Anyway, cool! Thank you!

upschuck

Really? Bummer. Well then, I'll ask them! They just did a mass hiring here anyway in the past couple weeks, so we'll see!
I meant the allowance. We get $300/month, or $500 a month if you're a veteran.
Anyway, cool! Thank you!
What is that allowance for?

pencils

What is that allowance for?
Lol that's what I want to know. We get around $2600 a semester, max around $5200 a year, and they also mention you get a $300/month bonus and a transportation allowance of $100 a month. The transportation part is obvious, but the extra $300 a month apparently can be used for whatever you want.

upschuck

Lol that's what I want to know. We get around $2600 a semester, max around $5200 a year, and they also mention you get a $300/month bonus and a transportation allowance of $100 a month. The transportation part is obvious, but the extra $300 a month apparently can be used for whatever you want.
Never heard about an allowance, but the tuition reimbursement can be used for anything. It is paid after the semester, if you get your grades up.

nac.aero

Is this a company-wide thing? I'm looking at UPS as a potential employer when I move to Seattle next year.

T

Turdferguson

Is this a company-wide thing? I'm looking at UPS as a potential employer when I move to Seattle next year.
No depends on where it is. We have two buildings in our city one of them just now started getting tuition reimbursement

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That doesn't sound too good...

Think about it for a minute. Tuition reimbursement is not an investment in the company's future as very few, if any, of those who take advantage of it go on to a career in management w/UPS. They use it to attract and retain PT hourlies in those facilities where it is hard to maintain staffing.

nac.aero

Think about it for a minute. Tuition reimbursement is not an investment in the company's future as very few, if any, of those who take advantage of it go on to a career in management w/UPS. They use it to attract and retain PT hourlies in those facilities where it is hard to maintain staffing.
True. So aside from TA, is there much else to inspire a PT worker to stick around? Do they like to promote from within?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

True. So aside from TA, is there much else to inspire a PT worker to stick around? Do they like to promote from within?

PTers have three choices, each based on their personal situation:

1. Work at UPS PT for the benefits while working at their primary FT job for the money.

2. Go in to management.

3. Become a driver.

nac.aero

That sounds incredibly limited. So, not much of a future on the ramp? I would love to work on company's cargo aircraft as a mechanic or avionics technician. Any company willing to invest in me would more than likely keep me around (to a point).

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That sounds incredibly limited. So, not much of a future on the ramp? I would love to work on company's cargo aircraft as a mechanic or avionics technician. Any company willing to invest in me would more than likely keep me around (to a point).

You want to work on the planes? You would need to go to A&P school.