turkeys

retired2000

just found out that ups will not be handed out any turkeys this year for christmas. instead eveyone will be getting a $15 gift card to a local grocery store. i bet jim casey is turning over in his grave as i write.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
just found out that ups will not be handed out any turkeys this year for christmas. instead eveyone will be getting a $15 gift card to a local grocery store. i bet jim casey is turning over in his grave as i write.

Good deal - that $15 will buy three Cornish Hens. :wink2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I think this is a better decision. Some people are vegetarians and have no use for a turkey. Others, like myself, prefer to order free-range organic turkeys. Or we might be having a lot of people over and the UPS turkey is too small. I always wind up donating my UPS turkey to a local food bank anyway, and I can do the same with the gift card. Another benefit to this choice is that processing, transporting and storing the turkeys to all the different locations is rather wasteful in terms of fuel and overall energy use compared to a gift card.

Either way, I think it is a mistake to develop a sense of entitlement around getting a turkey, and whether I get a turkey or a card I do appreciate the gesture.

outta hours

I too can use the gift card for some beer, and then cook the turkey I still have in the freezer from last year. Sounds like a plan. Looks like the Christmas turkey is going the way of the old Christmas bonus we used to get. Bye bye

TSup

I too can use the gift card for some beer, and then cook the turkey I still have in the freezer from last year. Sounds like a plan. Looks like the Christmas turkey is going the way of the old Christmas bonus we used to get. Bye bye

I understand it can only be used for a Turkey or Turkey product.....
Unless you can find some Turkey beer :happy-very:

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
I had heard that we drivers would be getting turkeys but mgmt and other non driving positions would be getting gift cards.Had something to do with the turkey farm not producing enough turkeys.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had heard that we drivers would be getting turkeys but mgmt and other non driving positions would be getting gift cards.Had something to do with the turkey farm not producing enough turkeys.

Is that good or bad for the drivers?
I'd rather have the $15 myself (if I don't have to pay taxes on it).

looper804

Yeah,I don't care either way. (but I would miss that turkey during the super bowl which is when I always cooked it) As for Jim Casey rolling in his grave I think he started spinning when we lost our bonus.

helenofcalifornia

Hoax, you don't think that that gift card will be on our paycheck and taxed? Just like when they give us "free" movie passes that are on our paychecks the next week.

Kind of defeats the purpose of a gift.

I like how the take charge reward card is taxed.. It doesnt show on the statement they mail, but if you log into upsers.com, you will see another paycheck for the amount of the card after taxes are taken out..

looper804

If it wasn't the bonus, it was when we went public!

What bonus?

True about going public.You never got a bonus? I might be aging myself.When I started in 86 we received $1000 bonus around Christmas time.Once Mr Casey passed on it was stopped.