TuSimple, UPS mapping new self-driving routes in southern U.S. states

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
TuSimple, UPS mapping new self-driving routes in southern U.S. states - NASDAQ

Self-driving truck technology company TuSimple Holdings Inc TSP.O said on Wednesday it is mapping new freight lanes with UPS UPS.N from Arizona to Florida and has hit significant fuel savings for the package delivery company at highway speeds.

TuSimple said since 2019 it has notched up 160,000 miles hauling freight for UPS' North America Air Freight (NAAF) division - part of its supply chain business - and has achieved 13% fuel savings at speeds between 55 miles (88.5 km) and 68 miles per hour. The routes for that UPS unit typically run between an airport and a UPS facility.

TuSimple said it shares the data from its operations with UPS, which also owns a stake in the self-driving truck technology company.

According to the American Transportation Research Institute, fuel makes up 24% of the cost per mile for heavy-duty trucks, the largest item after driver wages and benefits, which make up 42% of costs.

From a Land Brown Under

This article really pisses me off in the sense that, they felt the need to take a small jab by only including wages and benefits into the mix when talking about automation/driverless cars. Of course it is a Chinese company, despite being in America. I'm sure there are other factors they could have included, but chose to single out those two things that truckers deserve and earn for a grueling job.