TV Anchor Fail

I was sending that out to my boys last night and we were a whopping it up. I watched it at least ten times with my wife and I could stop. Ho lee ***

rod

Retired 22 years
Even though it involved a tragic situation I have to admit I found the names rather amusing. I imagine the news lady had been told over and over to recite the 10 commandments of announcing the news as instructed by some station manager --one of which I'm sure would be "follow the rules and read the news word for word and don't argue if you think its wrong". Remind you of anything?

And now word is that Asiana airlines is planning to sue the station and the NTSB for the racial names because they are giving the airlines a bad name. Crashing a plane into a seawall because the pilot still has training wheels is apparently ok though.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
And now word is that Asiana airlines is planning to sue the station and the NTSB for the racial names because they are giving the airlines a bad name. Crashing a plane into a seawall because the pilot still has training wheels is apparently ok though.

Apparently they believe it ruined their reputation. But crashing the plane didn't.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

Whoever fed them the names should get an award for the biggest prank of questionable taste for the decade.

texan

I "heard" about this today, on break, listening to CONSERVATIVE local talk radio.

The person on did not cut them a break at all.

They are level 5 most watched network, big money, 225,000 dolaars per year for a prime
time news anchor.

And they seemed to really have bought that these names are legit.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I "heard" about this today, on break, listening to CONSERVATIVE local talk radio.

The person on did not cut them a break at all.

They are level 5 most watched network, big money, 225,000 dolaars per year for a prime
time news anchor.

And they seemed to really have bought that these names are legit.

I don't fault the anchor. Anchors typically don't receive a "script" of the news broadcast, but rather read off teleprompters and ad lib conversational elements. In watching the broadcast, it's clear by her hesitation & change in her tone that she suspected something was up. Given that an apology was quickly pieced together (within 15 minutes), it's likely she and/or others in the studio recognized what was going on.

The maroon is the person(s) who fell for the joke, and the NTSB intern (who apparently recognized the joke, but didn't take the call seriously). Most television newsrooms have heavily cut staffing in recent years, relying on technology & automation (3-5 people can do the work than 30-50 did just ~10 years ago) to cut costs to compensate for the fact that TV news revenues have been declining for years. It's possible that one gullible person was behind this, and his/her superior just signs off on their work.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
got the bubbleheaded bleach blonde
comes on at 5
she can tell ya bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
it's interesting when people die
give us dirty laundry