Tv in original packaging arrived cracked

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The "original packaging" that most TV's arrive in was not designed to withstand being shipped via UPS. It was designed to protect a TV that is stacked on a pallet with 30 other TV's, banded or shrink wrapped into place, and moved in and out of a semi truck with a forklift.

Any package that goes thru our system will travel over several hundred yards of conveyor belts. It will roll and slide and be bumped into by other packages. It will then be loaded into a package car for final delivery, where it can easily fall off a 4' high shelf if the driver hits a bump wrong or has to brake suddenly.

Any item that cannot withstand such a process needs to be strapped to a pallet or put into a wooden crate full of polystyrene foam and then shipped via freight. The bottom line is that we handle many millions of packages per day and it is a statistical certainty that some of them will be damaged. That is why insurance is available.

iowa boy

I would venture a guess to say this was put on an irreg train and another irreg over 70 was placed on top of it. Our center used to ship a lot of tvs for a local company but due to the idiots in the hubs laying the tvs down on the irreg carts and throwing other heavy crap on top, I would see these type of returns at least once a week if not more.

AKCoverMan

Jmusbach..

You state a number of times you used the original packaging that Sony used. Did Sony ship your TV to your door in that box via a common carrier (UPS or FedEx) or is that simply the packaging that it was in at the bigbox store you bought the TV at? I am guessing the latter. I understand why you would think the same packaging would be good enough but shipping an individual TV via a common carrier loose is very different from the way Sony ships it to the mall.

Your posts also suggest a number of times that you think the driver did something to your package. Why would you think a driver would do that? A smaller heavier package could have ended up on the screen of that TV many ways and that box provides no protection for any amount of weight that might be put on it. I don't get why you immediately think the driver "did something".

Here is the simple truth. We originate over 15 million new packages every business day. They all vary in size, shape, density, weight, etc. etc. and they are all travelling independently thru the system. Sometimes they just don't play well together. While we all try to take reasonable care to insure packages are not damaged it is a simple fact of life that some packages will be damaged. Most of the time if the package is properly packed the packaging will take the damage and the contents will be fine. And if not we pay the claims.

But a package in the system has to be able to withstand normal handling. If we handled every package with the amount of tender loving care that would insure no damaged packages ever.. nothing would ever get delivered!

Sorry you had trouble. Next time have a professional packaging place like UPS Store or The Packaging Store ship something like this. They know what they are doing.

Nimnim

The Nim
I would venture a guess to say this was put on an irreg train and another irreg over 70 was placed on top of it. Our center used to ship a lot of tvs for a local company but due to the idiots in the hubs laying the tvs down on the irreg carts and throwing other heavy crap on top, I would see these type of returns at least once a week if not more.

I have to take some offense to this, I'm an irreg driver, and I can attest that myself, and the other 9 people who I normally work with, would never lay a tv flat on our irreg train and place another package on top of it. The only exception to this is another tv placed on top as we usually get a few at the same time. We don't lay them flat because usually they're too wide to lay flat or we can place more of them standing up or on end.

Now at least in my facility a tv less than 34"(I don't know the size limit that will fit across the belt offhand but I've seen 34" go across the belts) won't be on an irreg train unless someone is shipping an old CRT, but tvs are annoying since they're not equally weighted and as such are very prone to tipping over to their back side. The picture provided doesn't give a good shot of the damaged area so all I can assume is somewhere in transit something was placed upon the "front" of the package that either had enough force when being placed or weighed enough to cause damage. If the tv was small enough to travel across the conveyors then in a given facility you have 4 people who can mishandle it, 3 if it can't. Unloader, sorter, pickoff, loader. Sorter and pickoff are switched with irreg driver if it can't. That's per facility until it gets to the final destination which can come out to quite a few handlings which could lead to damage.

There's no way to know for sure who caused the damage, but I'm comfortable saying it wasn't a package car driver. I'm doubtful you'll get the full $800 insured amount because of the current market value for tvs. Hopefully you won't have trouble with the claim and can get the tv replaced easily. I hate to see any package damaged, but some people are idiots with how they attempt to ship things and we just have so many things run through our system in even just a few hours I'm always amazed there isn't more damages occurring.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Its a numbers game.

Packaging a TV specifically to withstand the rigors of UPS would add so much to the cost of shipping that it is actually cheaper for a mass shipper to replace the few that do get broken.

I used to run into this phenomenon when I delivered light bulbs to a hardware store. The shipper would pack 24 bulbs in one box with no foam or padding or protection of any kind. Virtually every box I delivered there had at least 1 or 2 broken bulbs in it. Rather than refuse them, the store owner accepted them and explained to me that whenever he ordered 20 bulbs the shipper would actually send 24 on the assumption that 4 of them would break en route. Packing each individual bulb in the required 4" of foam would add more to the cost of the shipping than the bulb itself was even worth. The "cost" of breakage was simply factored in to the overall shipping equation.

laffter

I didn't read this entire thread, so I apologize if what I say has already been said in the last 4 pages. I read the first page.
jmusbach, as stated previously, most damage to packages occurs before entering the driver's truck. The driver who delivered your package did not personally pick it up from the shipper and transport it to you. Many, many, hands have handled it in-transit. It can be unloaded and sorted several times before arriving to you.

How did your TV get damaged? Maybe a guy who loads trailers put something heavy on top of it. Maybe the preloader who loads the delivery truck put something heavy on it. Maybe either of them got angry and kicked the *hit out of it. Or maybe it got damaged in UPS's own sorting system. A part time worker or a full time driver is not allotted any more time to handle a large television than a two-ounce envelope. Packages are mistreated daily at UPS, on all sides of the spectrum. I've actually seen a driver step on a television box to reach a package on the top shelf. But, this is least common. Most abuse occurs in the building. Packages are thrown on top of other packages every day, no matter the size or weight. Until UPS puts service over production, this will not change, and that will never happen.

When shipping anything, through UPS, FedEx, or the US Postal Service, you accept the risk of damage to whatever you are shipping. You were smart in insuring the package. Hopefully UPS pays you.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
How did your TV get damaged? Maybe a guy who loads trailers put something heavy on top of it. Maybe the preloader who loads the delivery truck put something heavy on it. Maybe either of them got angry and kicked the *hit out of it. Or maybe it got damaged in UPS's own sorting system. A part time worker or a full time driver is not allotted any more time to handle a large television than a two-ounce envelope. Packages are mistreated daily at UPS, on all sides of the spectrum. I've actually seen a driver step on a television box to reach a package on the top shelf. But, this is least common. Most abuse occurs in the building. Packages are thrown on top of other packages every day, no matter the size or weight. Until UPS puts service over production, this will not change, and that will never happen.

That's Logistics.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Insuring the package is smart---not taking the time to properly pack the package---not so smart. At $.35/$100 after the 1st $100 you basically wasted $1.75 as there is no way in hell UPS will pay that claim.

laffter

Should've used FedEx. Never would've happened here :).

I'm going to assume that is a sarcastic statement, but nevertheless-

yeah, at FedEx, instead of your TV getting damaged during processing in-transit, it gets damaged when the driver throws it over your gate.