Tweedle Dee or tweedle dumb?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
P-man, I have no idea how many managers you know, but I do know how many I have worked under. Out of the whole bunch, all but one was as Danny described. The one outcast was as fair as he was allowed to be, was upfront with everything and didn't last past six months then was transferred to a much smaller, out of the way center. We figured it was pay back for being driver friendly. The funny thing about that is when he was here the driver moral and the center over/under numbers were off the charts with only a couple of bad routes in the over cat.

Leave P-Man alone, he's just doing his job.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Pman

Your conduct and responses on this site have always been positive and above the norm for management. I can say that only of a very few. And as I have posted, UPS would be a totally different place if we had more of the persona's that you portray here.

Its most likely that they have run up miles.
So lets take that statement. The driver has run up the miles. I find that interesting that the first thing that comes to your mind is that the driver that is not running the as good as the other, but yet stays out longer is having padding their miles. After all, it could not be a ton of other things, like boxes picked up, the number of packages delivered, going back after pickup stops that are miles away like you are supposed to, instead of picking them up before lunch?

On my last bid run, I had to break off trace to make 2 pickups, then drive another 4 miles to get another. Then three more pickups within the next 7 miles. Those 10 pickups would take right at an hour to make. That is the way I was told to run the route. The planned way. But it was not unusual to have the cover driver make at least three or four before lunch. So yes, "miles is smiles" does work when you dont drive the route as planned, and cut service.
Miles equals planned time. It is the weakest part of the measurement.
I dont know as it is the weakest part of the measurement. What I do know is that when you plot my deliveries on the board, there will not be a shorter way to run the route. What runs miles up is having managers split a stop. You know, one stop near the center. One that gets 5-10 packages a day. One that is right on the main drag from the center to a bunch of routes. Now, you make 5 drivers take packages for that one stop, and lookie see what happens to the measurement. All of a sudden, drivers that were being over by hours actually beat the standards.

Aint nothin like managers that set up a system, knowing ways to scam the system.

It is also one of the areas that are being targeted.
Targeted? Why? You think you got drivers running around running up miles so they dont have to deliver stops??? Why dont you look a bit closer to home. There have been a lot of delivery drivers that have posted about how the splits have been cut in. They are delivering to the same street, in the same neighborhood, at the same time. Sometimes to the same stop. How dang smart is that, to run a driver out of his way, to a section that didnt fit perfectly into the plan, to deliver a package to a stop where we had another diver already there?
So, while "miles is smiles" today, it won't be the case for a lot longer..
Now, had you stopped before you stated this, I would not have responded the way I did. The very statement smacks of not trusting the delivery workforce, especially this other driver.

Let me refresh the question
Is it possible for me to go out with 211 stops 400 pieces, pull in at the right time
The right time......WHat time is that? 1950?2100?2200? What is the right time? You gave the other drivers punch out, but not yours.
and be 50 clicks under, and have a different person pull in with 190stops 300 pieces at 2130 and still be 10 clicks under?
How is this possible?
That is the story he posted to which you responded with
From what you said, someone else takes your route with less stops than you, runs longer than you, and is only .2 to .4 poorer than you on ov/un??
You wanted to believe the guy so bad, that you swallowed the story. You did the math with part of the equation missing. And you came up with.......
Sure, it can happen. Its most likely that they have run up miles. Miles equals planned time. It is the weakest part of the measurement. It is also one of the areas that are being targeted. So, while "miles is smiles" today, it won't be the case for a lot longer....
You were in such a hurry to put down the "other driver" that you didnt even notice that your driver got in at the "right time". But yet the first things out of your mind is that he is padding miles. OF all the other things it could be, that was the first? And you dont think that way?

Respectfully

d

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i would kill the route,, shoot,, id say 2 hrs quicker than you son,,any day,, everyday,, WOOOOOOO,,its ok to do the job faster than others,, i take great pride in it,, also,, danny,, do you still work at ups?? talkin about the good ole days are ya?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i would kill the route,, shoot,, id say 2 hrs quicker than you son,,any day,, everyday,, WOOOOOOO,,its ok to do the job faster than others,, i take great pride in it,, also,, danny,, do you still work at ups?? talkin about the good ole days are ya?

Don't you have a six pack (plus two) to drink?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Hellfire

Ive seen types like you come and go. Flash in the pans we call them. Others call them minute man, cause thats all you will last.

The center up here had several over the years. None work at UPS anymore. Several couldnt even if they wanted to.

So you figure it out. For some it takes a long time.

UPS is not a sprint, its a long distance marathon.

As far as me and you in a delivery face off, I believe I could still beat you, even with only one hand.

d

pretzel_man

P-man, I have no idea how many managers you know, but I do know how many I have worked under. Out of the whole bunch, all but one was as Danny described. The one outcast was as fair as he was allowed to be, was upfront with everything and didn't last past six months then was transferred to a much smaller, out of the way center. We figured it was pay back for being driver friendly. The funny thing about that is when he was here the driver moral and the center over/under numbers were off the charts with only a couple of bad routes in the over cat.

After 35 years, I know (and have known) countless. This is across multiple districts and regions......

I stick by my opinion. I'm sure you will stick by yours.

I also absolutely know my own beliefs. I don't belive "them drivers".

pretzel_man

Pman

Your conduct and responses on this site have always been positive and above the norm for management. I can say that only of a very few. And as I have posted, UPS would be a totally different place if we had more of the persona's that you portray here.

Let me refresh the question
That is the story he posted to which you responded with
You were in such a hurry to put down the "other driver" that you didnt even notice that your driver got in at the "right time". But yet the first things out of your mind is that he is padding miles. OF all the other things it could be, that was the first? And you dont think that way?

Respectfully

d

If you thought my statement about running up miles meant lying about miles, then I understand you statement. I did not mean "padding miles" or lying about the miles on the odometer.

I meant driving more miles that the original driver. Driving more miles (running up miles in my vocabulary) will give additional planned time. This is the scenario I have seen the most.

If you look at what I said, I think I acknowledged that other things could account for it, but miles is the most likely....

I also don't understand the statement about "swallowing the story". I answered how it could happen.

Danny, one final thing about "swallowing the story". His statement was that if the scenario he stated is true, then what management told him about how things work is BS. Look at how many people jumped on that and blasted management....

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Evenin Pman, hope you had a good day at the office. Here, it rained all day, so a good day to catch up on paperwork I have been putting off.
I also don't understand the statement about "swallowing the story".
Well, lets see if I can explain it to where we are on the same page.
Is it possible for me to go out with 211 stops 400 pieces, pull in at the right time
The right time......WHat time is that? 1950?2100?2200? What is the right time? You gave the other drivers punch out, but not yours.
and be 50 clicks under, and have a different person pull in with 190stops 300 pieces at 2130 and still be 10 clicks under?
How is this possible?

Now, you allowed him to dictate the answer by not giving you the complete information on the question. How do you compare the following?

Our driver 400 packages 211 stops Got back at the right time Beats it by .50
The other 300 packages 190 stops got back in by 21:30 and beats it by .1

You can not compare the two, because he never told you what numerical value the "right time is. It could have been an hour later. You dont know. So therefor how can you really know if the first driver is actually doing the better job as he claims.

When comparing two drivers, I always want hard numbers. Then figure out what the difference is.

Also, there are other factors not mentioned. Not all stops are rated the same either. Sups around here tried that one. Gave a driver a high density area with a decent allowance, and he knocked off 56 stops in two hours. Blasted his numbers and his over/under. But yet 15 different stops on the same loop that are spread out have the same allowance, but those 15 take the two hours to deliver as well. So not all stops are the same either. But you already know that.

Best

d

DS

Fenderbender
We had a DM? once,tell us all, about 60 of us,that "We know every driver steals time"
Up until then,it had never crossed my mind.I took offence to it.
Since that, every detail of what I do is recorded to the minute.
Pretz,to change the topic a bit,
I think that ups is misguided by re-looping using gps and maps.A ride along
with a veteran driver would be far more efficient and productive.
I don't think that cutting routes and over dispatching drivers will do anything
except put more money in the shareholders pockets.The sad part is,the one
that suffers most,is the customer.
P-man Tell your boss DS is not happy with the direction the company is going.
And I have A LOT of friends:wink2:

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Mr danny sir, I have quoted my original post with a little clarification for you as to the exact time.

. . . I always run between 30 and 50 clicks under coming in at the appropriate time for our building which is a half hour prior to our air trailer pulling. which pulls at 1900.

. . . Is it possible for me to go out with 211 stops 400 pieces, pull in at the right time and be 50 clicks under, and have a different person pull in with 190stops 300 pieces at 2130 and still be 10 clicks under?

If this is true than the whole min max being based on everything as it has been explained to me is BS!

Being as I am niether a veteran driver nor a DMS Sup or even in IE, I dont know on what it is based. I didnt attack or accuse anyone of lying (management or otherwise) to me about what it was based on merely that the way it has been explained to me was BS if this could happen.

I hate stupid people. Therefore I hate most on roads and corporate people I have met, but do not hold that opinion of UPS management as a whole. Although, managers are only promoted to their own level of incompotance.

And if you know someone who still wets the bed and abuses smalls animals, they are either a serial killer or a member of UPS corporate.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Mr danny sir, I have quoted my original post with a little clarification for you as to the exact time.

Being as I am niether a veteran driver nor a DMS Sup or even in IE, I dont know on what it is based. I didnt attack or accuse anyone of lying (management or otherwise) to me about what it was based on merely that the way it has been explained to me was BS if this could happen.

I hate stupid people. Therefore I hate most on roads and corporate people I have met, but do not hold that opinion of UPS management as a whole. Although, managers are only promoted to their own level of incompotance.

And if you know someone who still wets the bed and abuses smalls animals, they are either a serial killer or a member of UPS corporate.

I hate stupid people....sigh..

please put down the mountain dew...

your rambling.....

old levi's

blank space
I hate stupid people....sigh..

please put down the mountain dew...

your rambling.....

This is not directed at any one person because the error occurs quite often. Probably because English is no longer taught.

Your is a possessive adjective / of or belonging to / Example: your car
You're is a contraction of two words / you + are / Example: you're rambling

One is not equal to the other in meaning, therefore they are not interchangeable.
I feel better. You may begin flaming now.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Since we are pointing out common errors we should also talk about the proper use of the dollar sign ($). When you use the $ you do not have to add the word "dollars" or "bucks", as in $50 dollars, as the $ means dollars. Also, $.99 is not the same as .99 cents. You do not need to use a decimal point if you use the word cents.