Twenty years- hard to believe.

ups1990

Who can forget those strike fund checks and the many expired canned goods the hall gave us. Don't forgot, some of us in So Cal were visited by no other than the Rev. Jessie Jackson!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Who can forget those strike fund checks and the many expired canned goods the hall gave us. Don't forgot, some of us in So Cal were visited by no other than the Rev. Jessie Jackson!
I will not be delivering packages in Seattle if it occurs again ... unless that is my Hell? :wheelchai :surprise:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
From someone that wasn't there, Thank you to those that were.

I second this.

As much as I detest UPS, having spent the last 17 years selling my time to them has allowed myself and my family to live a comfortable life. And thats all thanks to those that came before me.

I hope someday I can do the same for the next ones in line.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
FedEx went into the ground business and took a lot of our business away. They went after our commercial customers that we make the most money off first. Also, Central States Pension Plan got a break, more wasted money went into that disaster. I have 23 years vested in CS. Part timers continued to be screwed over in wages. Real successful strike, we showed them. Yes, I walked the line and got that $55 check that the IBT had to borrow.

badpal

FedEx went into the ground business and took a lot of our business away. They went after our commercial customers that we make the most money off first. Also, Central States Pension Plan got a break, more wasted money went into that disaster. I have 23 years vested in CS. Part timers continued to be screwed over in wages. Real successful strike, we showed them. Yes, I walked the line and got that $55 check that the IBT had to borrow.
Agree with you, with business to business deliverys, we never recovered to where we were prestrike.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
IMG_2191.JPG
The one on the left is from '97, the other was from the one-day walkout when we went from 70 to 150 pounds. The one on the right was originally a Pony Express Strike sign. Our walkout happened so fast they just stapled the paper with UPS to cover it up.

Last edited:

brownIEman

We should have taken their offer. We would now be paying for healthcare and getting a 4% match on our 401k and no pension.

You'd also be making tens of thousands in bonus based on the record profits. That's assuming no change in the offered bonus formula - which is probably not a good assumption.
Ironically the IBT would likely be stronger in that there would be tens of thousands more UPS teamsters since it is unlikely UPS' market share would have slid from well north of 80% pre strike to the south of 50% it is today.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You'd also be making tens of thousands in bonus based on the record profits. That's assuming no change in the offered bonus formula - which is probably not a good assumption.
Ironically the IBT would likely be stronger in that there would be tens of thousands more UPS teamsters since it is unlikely UPS' market share would have slid from well north of 80% pre strike to the south of 50% it is today.
Just cook the books...no profit.