Two Men And A Truck or...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
...one UPS driver and a hand truck???

With most of the smalls going to the Post Office now, are we becoming a furniture moving company again?
Not only are our stop counts up despite this trend, so is the weight, height, width and length of the packages we handle.
Keep this in mind while you decide whether we deserve a fair contract from a company that is recording record profits.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

With most of the smalls going to the Post Office now, are we becoming a furniture moving company again?
Not only are our stop counts up despite this trend, so is the weight, height, width and length of the packages we handle.
Keep this in mind while you decide whether we deserve a fair contract from a company that is recording record profits.

This is a very legitimate question. With more and more of our "easy" stops going to the post office what will this job look like in 10-15 years.

d-rek357

Does anyone actually believe that we could end up like hostess? I have about 28 years left and would like to think there would be job for us.

satellitedriver

I really have to laugh at the concept that carrying heavy packages is something new.

Think of the late 1980's.
No Driver release.
All pkg's had to be signed for on paper.

The joy of carting Nordic Tracks and cases of Encyclopedia Britannica's door to door for a neighbor to sign for them.
Maximum of 3 pkg's being brought back to the center as send agains.

It is so much tougher now.
Power steering, automatic transmissions, low step pkg cars, driver release, DIADS.

No contract will change the simple fact that we deliver heavy objects door to door, by hand.

Indecisi0n

I really have to laugh at the concept that carrying heavy packages is something new.

No Driver release.

The joy of carting Nordic Tracks and cases of Encyclopedia Britannica's door to door for a neighbor to sign for them.

Power steering, automatic transmissions, low step pkg cars, driver release, DIADS.

No contract will change the simple fact that we deliver heavy objects door to door, by hand.

I have to agree with this. I am a newer driver (couple years in) and every time I get an old 8 cube I an sore the next day. Then I just think some guys have used these and older worse trucks for their entire careers. So now when I get an old POS I just suck it up and don't complain.

oldngray

nowhere special

No Driver release.

you forgot the old 50 pound weight limit.

cino321

Look at the size of some of the amazon, diapers.com, wag.com, and pet food boxes we deliver! What about all the furniture, that is always damaged, and I'm embarrassed to present to a customer, which usually involves me saying "hey do you want this because it's in bad shape?" There are overweight's in my truck at least once a week that I can't even move around the truck without having someone help me.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Look at the size of some of the amazon, diapers.com, wag.com, and pet food boxes we deliver! What about all the furniture, that is always damaged, and I'm embarrassed to present to a customer, which usually involves me saying "hey do you want this because it's in bad shape?" There are overweight's in my truck at least once a week that I can't even move around the truck without having someone help me.

I'm glad you mentioned that !

All those 100lb+ boxes have damages because the train guy just flops them up on the train carts and the high ends just dig into the box. I would think after seeing all these boxes being refused by the customers that UPS could find a better way.

How about making a train cart out of some softer material or at the very least put rubber padding on all the edges of those train carts. Maybe they can use all that Orion money that's burning their pockets on something that will actually make the company money. Picking up overweight damaged boxes and sending them back through the system costs the company millions !!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

No Driver release.

​We know, and it was uphill both to and from the vehicle.

Rico

No Driver release.

There was DR in the very late 1980's. But the Ford P600s really brought the suck. Paper records weren't fun, nor was the supervisor's pissing about your handwriting not being neat enough. Don't know about the DIADS now, but the first couple of versions didn't work well, (especially the signature pads) if at all, when it rained or was below freezing. Plus they didn't broadcast, so you had to find a phone every 90 minutes, dial a number which connected you to a modem, and dump the delivery data that way. Paper seemed faster than all that.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Yesterday.....I had part of a tree. Literally it was a slab of wood cut from the base of a tree. About 8"X12"X36". Tag said 149 lbs. NOT. It took every thing I had to get it off the floor of the truck onto a hand truck. I get it to the house and the lady said it was still green. No wonder it was so heavy. I hate it when a company sneaks packages thru the system that are clearly over the weight limit.
The driver that picked that thing up should have refused. You know.....we should look out for each other that way.

ocnewguy

Yesterday.....I had part of a tree. Literally it was a slab of wood cut from the base of a tree. About 8"X12"X36". Tag said 149 lbs. NOT. It took every thing I had to get it off the floor of the truck onto a hand truck. I get it to the house and the lady said it was still green. No wonder it was so heavy. I hate it when a company sneaks packages thru the system that are clearly over the weight limit.
The driver that picked that thing up should have refused. You know.....we should look out for each other that way.

That crap pisses me off to no end. Massive pieces of furniture...GENERATORS...huge rolls of carpet. large spools of heavy duty cabling. all WELL over 150 lbs. we actually had these 4.5x4.5x4.5 (feet)animal cages come thru for the zoo the other day. its ridiculous, none of this stuff should be in the system. besides the weight, there's the problem that none of it fits the tiny space between the rollers and the bay door. so it has to be manhandled up onto the slide then pushed off and over on to the ground. i can't even imagine that crap in a package car.