Two Tier Driver....AKA Combo job

Do you approve UPS opening up more jobs by offer driver as a combo position?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vanakka512

I personally hope they do this. I would love to have to opportunity to become full time! 22.3 is fine also, its sad that Walmart pays more then UPS. You just chill at a register. Before you say healthcare, my local has 1 year wait period and most "Younger" employees don't care about healthcare they are healthy. What are your thoughts?

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
yes

i think the Teamsters should come up with some word-jitsu to keep it from being heavily abused, but 22.3 combo jobs would be fantastic flexibility for the company

can’t tell you how many PDS would love to stop using air drivers for 3-4 hours of shuttle work and use something contractually compliant instead

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

That question is too general. I would need to see real specific language in the contract protecting what we now define a full-time driver, so full-time driving jobs as we know them don't disappear! So, add that option and I would vote yes!

km3

I personally hope they do this. I would love to have to opportunity to become full time! 22.3 is fine also, its sad that Walmart pays more then UPS. You just chill at a register. Before you say healthcare, my local has 1 year wait period and most "Younger" employees don't care about healthcare they are healthy. What are your thoughts?

No tiers. Driving is driving and ought to be paid at the same rate.

Box Ox

No tiers. Driving is driving and ought to be paid at the same rate.

Yep. Would just be more contract complication for the Company to exploit.

can’t tell you how many PDS would love to stop using air drivers for 3-4 hours of shuttle work and use something contractually compliant instead

Can definitely see this side of it. Also as replacements for the 2-3 hour bid air driver slots. Especially PM air.

AlliSeeisBrown

It would have to be fine tuned, but I could see the positives. With the "on-time network" changes around here. PM Air drivers are only getting 3 hours of work. Technically 3.5 with the guarantee. Used to be getting roughly 4.75-5.

brown_trousers

yes

i think the Teamsters should come up with some word-jitsu to keep it from being heavily abused, but 22.3 combo jobs would be fantastic flexibility for the company

lol. I like that term, "word-jitsu"

But I think UPS is the only one that ever benefits from complicated contract language. The union benefits best from simple and straight-forward clauses in the contract. Contract language that is complex always gets "interpreted" by UPS to UPS's advantage.

Easy solution is to make full time jobs either driving-only or inside-only, no combining of the two, leave the air driving to part timers, and no complex language that can be exploited by UPS. If you give UPS a millimeter of wiggle room in contract language, they will "interpret" it into a mile.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Easy solution is to make full time jobs either driving-only or inside-only, no combining of the two, leave the air driving to part timers, and no complex language that can be exploited by UPS. If you give UPS a millimeter of wiggle room in contract language, they will "interpret" it into a mile.
okay then let PT drivers be able to deliver ground work up to a 4hr paid day and if they crack that they get FT top pay for the whole day

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
If you think this is why they are creating combo drivers, you’re clueless

brown_trousers

okay then let PT drivers be able to deliver ground work up to a 4hr paid day and if they crack that they get FT top pay for the whole day
if a PT driver does ground work, they get top driver rate all day plus an 8 hr guarantee. thats already in the contract. It basically equates to promoting a PT driver to a FT driver for one day of work

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Your trying to break the rules already, and for what? Even if these new jobs were created, you’d only have new rules handed down to you that you would try to break in search of the perfect unattainable corporate numbers that we all choke on.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
if a PT driver does ground work, they get top driver rate all day plus an 8 hr guarantee. thats already in the contract. It basically equates to promoting a PT driver to a FT driver for one day of work
yes i’m aware of the current setup i’m saying it sucks

Your trying to break the rules already, and for what? Even if these new jobs were created, you’d only have new rules handed down to you that you would try to break in search of the perfect unattainable corporate numbers that we all choke on.
the current setup doesn’t make sense

it’s just the teamsters and UPS trying to :censored2: each other

maybe if some of the proposals made business sense, you wouldn’t see as much :censored2:ery

542thruNthru

yes i’m aware of the current setup i’m saying it sucks

the current setup doesn’t make sense

it’s just the teamsters and UPS trying to :censored2: each other

maybe if some of the proposals made business sense, you wouldn’t see as much :censored2:ery

If you believe this, you've been in IE too long.