Two Tier Driver....AKA Combo job

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Vanakka512, May 29, 2018.

?

Do you approve UPS opening up more jobs by offer driver as a combo position?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vanakka512

Vanakka512 New Member

I personally hope they do this. I would love to have to opportunity to become full time! 22.3 is fine also, its sad that Walmart pays more then UPS. You just chill at a register. Before you say healthcare, my local has 1 year wait period and most "Younger" employees don't care about healthcare they are healthy. What are your thoughts?

2. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

yes

i think the Teamsters should come up with some word-jitsu to keep it from being heavily abused, but 22.3 combo jobs would be fantastic flexibility for the company

can’t tell you how many PDS would love to stop using air drivers for 3-4 hours of shuttle work and use something contractually compliant instead

4. That question is too general. I would need to see real specific language in the contract protecting what we now define a full-time driver, so full-time driving jobs as we know them don't disappear! So, add that option and I would vote yes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. km3

km3 Well-Known Member

No tiers. Driving is driving and ought to be paid at the same rate.

• Agree x 11
    • Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • List
  6. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Yep. Would just be more contract complication for the Company to exploit.

Can definitely see this side of it. Also as replacements for the 2-3 hour bid air driver slots. Especially PM air.

7. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

This does not create any jobs. It only changes existing jobs to a lower pay rate.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • List
  8. AlliSeeisBrown

AlliSeeisBrown Active Member

It would have to be fine tuned, but I could see the positives. With the "on-time network" changes around here. PM Air drivers are only getting 3 hours of work. Technically 3.5 with the guarantee. Used to be getting roughly 4.75-5.

9. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

it's not entirely the rate, it's the 8hr guarantee that trips up a lot of things

10. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Where I am the bid air driver guarantee is 3 hours if I remember correctly. PT sorts 3.5.

11. brown_trousers

brown_trousers Well-Known Member

lol. I like that term, "word-jitsu"

But I think UPS is the only one that ever benefits from complicated contract language. The union benefits best from simple and straight-forward clauses in the contract. Contract language that is complex always gets "interpreted" by UPS to UPS's advantage.

Easy solution is to make full time jobs either driving-only or inside-only, no combining of the two, leave the air driving to part timers, and no complex language that can be exploited by UPS. If you give UPS a millimeter of wiggle room in contract language, they will "interpret" it into a mile.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  12. Don't ask me.

13. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

okay then let PT drivers be able to deliver ground work up to a 4hr paid day and if they crack that they get FT top pay for the whole day

14. wide load

wide load Starting wage is a waste of time.

If you think this is why they are creating combo drivers, you’re clueless

15. brown_trousers

brown_trousers Well-Known Member

if a PT driver does ground work, they get top driver rate all day plus an 8 hr guarantee. thats already in the contract. It basically equates to promoting a PT driver to a FT driver for one day of work

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. wide load

Or not

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. wide load

Are you excited about delivering come August?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. MyTripisCut

MyTripisCut Dumpster, INABAG

Your trying to break the rules already, and for what? Even if these new jobs were created, you’d only have new rules handed down to you that you would try to break in search of the perfect unattainable corporate numbers that we all choke on.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. TearsInRain

TearsInRain IE boogeyman

yes i’m aware of the current setup i’m saying it sucks

the current setup doesn’t make sense

it’s just the teamsters and UPS trying to :censored2: each other

maybe if some of the proposals made business sense, you wouldn’t see as much :censored2:ery

20. 542thruNthru

542thruNthru Well-Known Member

If you believe this, you've been in IE too long.