Typical Day for a Casual Driver?

I know this is a very broad question. But what is a typical day like for a casual driver out of Harrisburg, PA or any terminal for that matter? How much driving, how much dock work, etc.?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I'm not going very far out on a limb when I say NO dock work; all yard/city/road.
Expect to be:
  • spotting trailers on the dock doors; either with a purpose built terminal tractor, or conventional tractor
  • shuttling trailers to/from rail yards
  • swapping out (customer) loaded trailers with empties
  • pulling sets out to the centers or to meet points
  • maybe some pickup runs of palletized shipments

P

pickup

I'm not going very far out on a limb when I say NO dock work; all yard/city/road.
Expect to be:
  • spotting trailers on the dock doors; either with a purpose built terminal tractor, or conventional tractor
  • shuttling trailers to/from rail yards
  • swapping out (customer) loaded trailers with empties
  • pulling sets out to the centers or to meet points
  • maybe some pickup runs of palletized shipments

That about sums it up. You can also occasionally expect a run to a nearby or relatively far hub or center when you just happen to be standing at the dispatch window when that guy who normally does that run called in sick and dispatch is trying to figure out how to cover the run.

Thanks for the replies. Hoaxster, my wife who is a diehard Steelers fan asks me that question all the time. At least for the foreseeable future my response is always who is the only undefeated team in NFL history.

rocket man

I know this is a very broad question. But what is a typical day like for a casual driver out of Harrisburg, PA or any terminal for that matter? How much driving, how much dock work, etc.?
you still havent found one person to ask ? a good thing there is a computer or you would be lost with no one to ask? oh no are you lost? what if your electric goes off? oh the agony of of not knowing what a typical day in (Pa) is i think in the summer its hot in the winter its cold and i here it snows a lot . people go on vacation get sick get divorced get married eat 3 meals a day . thats a typical day in (PA

P

pickup

Okay, it's getting confusing. Some of us are answering as if the Original Poster is asking about Feeders and some are answering as if the OP is asking about package. And the original post , while it doesn't definitively clarify which division he is asking about, it does imply feeders by virtue of the question of Dock work.

But I could be totally wrong. I am looking at the question through the eyes of a feeder driver.

rocket man

Okay, it's getting confusing. Some of us are answering as if the Original Poster is asking about Feeders and some are answering as if the OP is asking about package. And the original post , while it doesn't definitively clarify which division he is asking about, it does imply feeders by virtue of the question of Dock work.

But I could be totally wrong. I am looking at the question through the eyes of a feeder driver.
then ask a feeder driver.that wears glasses that way you can ask to try them on and see thru his eyes the answer will be there. but really if you have to ask all theses questions you are not even suppose to be a driver