U.P.S. boat in Venice.

outta hours

I wonder if they are on PAS yet?

I went to Venice and asked them, and here is a picture of their response to what PAS has done to their route.

ups boat.jpg

So you can see PAS is the same everywhere.
ups boat.jpg

outta hours

The language on the cart is German and roughly translates to:

Worldwide Delivery Service

That's right. He does a bulk boat in Italy,then a bicycle route in Germany. All because of PAS. It's all in his loop now. He tried to explain to the dispatcher that he was not close to Germany, but they told him to do it anyway.

Mike Hawk

They don't wear uniforms in Italy.

A shopowner in Venice told me it was against the law in Italy to wear anything resembling a military outfit.

This may be true or it could be that UPS packages are subcontracted by a local delivery company like in Africa and Asia.

Venice looked very labor intensive! There are steps up and down over every canal and the boat rocks when they are trying to unload packages.
But they have nothing indicating they work for UPS... a brown shirt with a logo seems to be at least the minimum they would need. Their rudder has the shield on it so I don't think they are subcontractors. When I driver help all I have is a old shirt a driver gave me when I helped last peak and I get plenty of "who are you?" looks until they see the diad, the label on the box and the logo on the shirt.

I agree about the labor intensive, I see 3 handcarts in that picture, lots of walking!

pkgdriver

When I was in Venice 4 yrs ago the service provider was wearing a blue shirt. He had a DIAD and some kind of hand truck that looked like it was fabricated in Area 51.

Cementups

Box Monkey
PICTURE was taking at 822 pm overtime much.

I'm sure teh camera was programmed for American time which would be 5or more hours earlier in Venice. So that picture could have been taken at 3:22 pm or earlier. If i remember correctly it is a 5 hour difference from EST, maybe 6.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
6 hours difference

interesting thin no one has mentioned is that he has two levels. the deck level, and below deck. in the photos, you can see he has lifted the boards to access the area below decks. Couple of other things, the tote box on top in the middle is a nice touch.

as for the uniforms, many countries that were affected by the nazi's during the war have an issue with brown uniforms. not so in germany, but elsewhere. so it could be as mentioned.

or then again, it could be some great customers helping out while he stops for a coffee and danish?

d

Mike Hawk

Pretty sure the time stamp you see at the bottom says when it was uploaded, all three photo times are right before the time he posted, also it says 5 instead of 8 for me because I am on Pacific time.

UPSmeoff

My parents said they were on their way to lunch when my mom was marveling at how hard these guys were working. My dad had to point out that it was a UPS boat.

They also saw a DHL boat that was blocking a canal big time because the boat operator had a big fish on. Unfortunately they did not get a picture.

pkgdriver

I went and looked at my Italy pictures and it was like I said above. Blue/DIAD/Handtruck.
The Florence and Pisa drivers were in "Browns" though.
Ill scan them in when i have time.

drewed

Shankman
Looking at the rudder, those drivers (captains?) haven't found out about the "brown paint" method of avoiding minor accidents.

Also, make sure to secure the bulkhead door so packages don't go missing!

PS huh safety? Where are the life jackets? Maybe there is no European OSHA for them to abide by.
I dont think the canals are really that deep? i hear what youre saying though, with all UPS's rules you would think that would be one of them

As for the uniforms thing.....someone told me its frowned upon to wear brown in Italy??

Mike Hawk

I dont think the canals are really that deep? i hear what youre saying though, with all UPS's rules you would think that would be one of them

As for the uniforms thing.....someone told me its frowned upon to wear brown in Italy??
Example, box hits his head, knocks him out, he falls in to 1 foot of water(or 10, doesn't matter), he drowns. Will someone have to die to make it a rule?