rod

Retired 22 years
I bet a carton of milk would cost $25 if delivered out of that. Leave it to California to come up with a hair brained skeam like this. I wonder how much taxpayer money was wasted on starting up this company.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I bet a carton of milk would cost $25 if delivered out of that. Leave it to California to come up with a hair brained skeam like this. I wonder how much taxpayer money was wasted on starting up this company.
I think the bigger problem here is job loss. A problem that appears to be coming sooner than later.

Also it's scheme. Lol

sandwich

The resident gearhead
You're right. An electric vehicle with a range "of about 60 miles" would be just the thing UPS would send out on 150+ mile routes.
I think if it meant replacing it's entire union workforce over night, they would wave bye to us while purchasing a million of these trucks. Also this could easily replace most routes. I've been in 4 buildings throughout the west coast. Most miles I've ever done on a route is 90. I've covered easily over 100 routes. Most routes to about 40 to 50 miles.

rod

Retired 22 years
You're right. An electric vehicle with a range "of about 60 miles" would be just the thing UPS would send out on 150+ mile routes.

Is it 60 or 16 miles. It sure sounds like 16 to me then again I'm working with old ears.

Box Ox

That's reassuring. I would imagine those would be the first routes to go automated.

Nah. Rural routes are physically easier/higher mileage but maneuvering and paying attention so you don’t get stuck, end up in a ditch, hit something squeezing through some really tight places or deliver to the wrong spot can be a lot more complicated than dropping Amazon in a straight line through a suburban neighborhood.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I think if it meant replacing it's entire union workforce over night, they would wave bye to us while purchasing a million of these trucks. Also this could easily replace most routes. I've been in 4 buildings throughout the west coast. Most miles I've ever done on a route is 90. I've covered easily over 100 routes. Most routes to about 40 to 50 miles.

Come on. You probably believe every center/hub across the company is the same.

We had routes out of my old building running over 150 miles every day. Hell, I delivered to the main street of a town that was 100 miles away for a year. Ask some guys from states like Montana and Wyoming what their rural routes are like.

Or, lose sleep until it never happens.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Nah. Rural routes are physically easier/higher mileage but maneuvering and paying attention so you don’t get stuck, end up in a ditch, hit something squeezing through some really tight places or deliver to the wrong spot can be a lot more complicated than dropping Amazon in a straight line through a suburban neighborhood.
I have a very technical route now on a very wooded very mountainous island in the Pacific northwest. So I get what your saying. But I'm more worried about the mass majority being eliminated. And what's left for us come next contract.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Come on. You probably believe every center/hub across the company is the same.

We had routes out of my old building running over 150 miles every day. Hell, I delivered to the main street of a town that was 100 miles away for a year. Ask some guys from states like Montana and Wyoming what their rural routes are like.

Or, lose sleep until it never happens.
Your right. I've only been a driver in 4 buildings. 2 in California and 2 in Washington state. I realize there are plenty of rural routes. But you know they can make these vans with gas motors as well right?

I really hope I am worrying about nothing.

rod

Retired 22 years
Your right. I've only been a driver in 4 buildings. 2 in California and 2 in Washington state. I realize there are plenty of rural routes. But you know they can make these vans with gas motors as well right?

I really hope I am worrying about nothing.

Don't worry about it. We were all suppose to be transported by flying cars a long time ago and that hasn't happened yet.

oldngray

nowhere special
Don't worry about it. We were all suppose to be transported by flying cars a long time ago and that hasn't happened yet.
something_01.jpg