uber

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod ,,that probably true !I don't understand why they won't make a list of can do jobs ,,they don't want us to enjoy that pension money!

I have no idea what it is like where you are and for all I know its probably changed around here but when I retired I could drive a school bus or work ANY government job I wanted to (I guess they didn't want to argue with the governments). Also I couldn't take another job that gave me any healthcare. I had a couple of piddly jobs (making fishing tackle was one) and they ok'ed that but every time I took a job I called and cleared it with them. For 4 or 5 years I flew with the DNR in the springtime as a forest fire spotter and I would call and get that ok'ed every year. They told me I didn't need to because it was a government job---but I called anyway just to get it on record. I trust no one when it comes to my pension.

rod

Retired 22 years
Move out of your local's geographic area and you can do whatever you want, at least that's how it is here.

Why would moving matter? I think if they could legally get out of paying someone hundreds of thousands of dollars in pension payments they would jump at the chance.

Inthegame

Why would moving matter? I think if they could legally get out of paying someone hundreds of thousands of dollars in pension payments they would jump at the chance.
Why do you think that?
Plan trustees have increased benefits when plans do well. CSPF conversely is struggling so those trustees have the distasteful task of cutting benefits. The trustees don't get any reward for either position.

rod

Retired 22 years
Why do you think that?
Plan trustees have increased benefits when plans do well. CSPF conversely is struggling so those trustees have the distasteful task of cutting benefits. The trustees don't get any reward for either position.

You don't think someone wouldn't get a gold star/secret bonus by cutting a retiree off because they didn't follow the rules and save the Union BIG bucks? Your kidding -right?

Inthegame

You don't think someone wouldn't get a gold star/secret bonus by cutting a retiree off because they didn't follow the rules and save the Union BIG bucks? Your kidding -right?
But the "Union" doesn't pay pensions. Pension Trust Funds do, and in cases of UPS union employees those funds are jointly trusteed by company and union appointees that gain nothing, no gold stars, no secret bonuses (no salary BTW) by cutting anyone's benefits.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not sure what you're asking. I know that our local doesn't care what you do if you move out the area.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm not sure what you're asking. I know that our local doesn't care what you do if you move out the area.

Maybe I'm wrong about the whole idea. I would assume if there was a way to save the pension plan hundreds of thousands of dollars someone would jump on it. I guess I'm wrong.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Maybe I'm wrong about the whole idea. I would assume if there was a way to save the pension plan hundreds of thousands of dollars someone would jump on it. I guess I'm wrong.

Rod, my pension fund (not Central States) has a list of four criteria I have to meet before they can suspend payments. The only one I meet is occasionally I work more than 56 hours a month. I don't worry about it.

Also, every year they send me a questionnaire asking me about any jobs I have had in the previous year.

If I move out of their represented area, all those rules go away. I could pretty much do what I want.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod, my pension fund (not Central States) has a list of four criteria I have to meet before they can suspend payments. The only one I meet is occasionally I work more than 56 hours a month. I don't worry about it.

Also, every year they send me a questionnaire asking me about any jobs I have had in the previous year.

If I move out of their represented area, all those rules go away. I could pretty much do what I want.

You seriously don't worry about it? (working more hours than allowed?). No way would I risk it. Apparently I'm wrong thinking the pension plans would want to save tons of money if they had an opportunity. I've personally receive over a half a million bucks out of the pension plan. Look at what they could have saved if I took a job I wasn't suppose to. I would NEVER risk that.