Ught ooooo The machines are here.

Days

Read online that Uber drivers are going on strike. Can only cut costs so much before the workers get fed up. Amazon is dumb. I’d love to see the reaction on all the worker’s faces being laid off because they got machines to do their work for them.

Only part I’m happy about is maybe the Amazon boxes won’t be so flimsy.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Read online that Uber drivers are going on strike. Can only cut costs so much before the workers get fed up. Amazon is dumb. I’d love to see the reaction on all the worker’s faces being laid off because they got machines to do their work for them.

Don't be too happy ... you are a target for the same type automation at UPS.

take your time

Amazon isn't dumb, they know exactly what they are doing.

Plus having your stock being valued at x10 that of UPS doesn't hurt either. They have cash to burn. If it fails, who cares? They have cash to spare.....

Amazon stock.png

JL 0513

wait are you for or against a minimum wage?

In this case, Amazon implemented their own minimum wage which of course is fine. But now we see them eliminating these entry jobs with robotics immediately after the significant wage increase. Coincidence?

As for a Federal minimum wage? No, there shouldn't be. It's not their place. Businesses compete for labor and that self regulates wages. A federal minimum sets the bar low and thus becomes the automatic wage in an entry level job. That wage would likely be higher without the federal mandate.

As for a the idea of a $15 federal minimum? That would be devastating. Automation would take over most low skill jobs eliminating the important starting point for young people. We already see order kiosks at fast food restaurants. The next step is machines that actually assemble burgers/sandwiches which does exist and is waiting to be implemented if the wage reaches a breaking point.

GameCockFan

In this case, Amazon implemented their own minimum wage which of course is fine. But now we see them eliminating these entry jobs with robotics immediately after the significant wage increase. Coincidence?

As for a Federal minimum wage? No, there shouldn't be. It's not their place. Businesses compete for labor and that self regulates wages. A federal minimum sets the bar low and thus becomes the automatic wage in an entry level job. That wage would likely be higher without the federal mandate.

As for a the idea of a $15 federal minimum? That would be devastating. Automation would take over most low skill jobs eliminating the important starting point for young people. We already see order kiosks at fast food restaurants. The next step is machines that actually assemble burgers/sandwiches which does exist and is waiting to be implemented if the wage reaches a breaking point.

Automation is coming for millions more jobs in this economy. Retail workers, call center workers, fast food workers, truck drivers, and on and on throughout the economy. The level of the minimum wage is irrelevant. If the minimum wage was indexed to inflation or productivity it would be well over $20/hr. We are at a crossroads, near a large shift in our economy, not unlike the Industrial Revolution of the past. Many are going to be left behind. I wouldn't encourage anyone to see UPS as a future career.

I believe this is the last days of a unionized UPS. With the vote no movement, social media, the forcing of the contract on members, there is going to be a lot of anger and resentment on the employee side at the end of this agreement. Turn by turn directions, Orion, driverless truck in feeders. I think the company will take this opportunity to bust the union.

Some interesting videos discussing automation, the changing economy, and a universal basic income.

rod

Retired 22 years
Apparently they haven't stopped to consider how easy it is to sabotage a machine -----if workers have any balls left.

watdaflock?

I believe this is the last days of a unionized UPS. With the vote no movement, social media, the forcing of the contract on members, there is going to be a lot of anger and resentment on the employee side at the end of this agreement. Turn by turn directions, Orion, driverless truck in feeders. I think the company will take this opportunity to bust the union.

MAGA!