Unbelievable...update on FMLA situation

BUCN85

As many of you guys know my wife is currently going through cancer treatments that include chemo therapy. She is handling it as well as she can. We all are going through a lot right now and our great employer has the nerve to try to tell me how I can use my FMLA and that I can't center it around my weekends (we had appointments Thursday and Friday). Right now I'm using FMLA for 1 day a week when needed. But I'm in the process of getting it changed to 2x a week because sometimes not all appointments can be scheduled for the same day. And lately they have a hissy fit if I try to take a 2nd day(not my fault we aren't properly staffed)And they are upset making me call in to call off for tomorow even though I told them last week and today that I couldn't make it in Saturday because today is a chemo day and my wife will be sick on Saturday. It just shows how heartless and un human some of our bosses can be. It makes me sick and these people should be ashamed of their behavior.

Last edited:

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
It amazes me that with all of the FT cover drivers we have standing around at our center that they would throw a hissy fit that you would miss some days to be with your wife who is battling cancer.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Don't let them guilt trip you into feeling bad. The packages will get delivered. Its their problem not yours, you and your family have enough on your plate. Take care of your wife as long as FMLA dictates.

Indecisi0n

Stop asking for FMLA days. You tell them your taking a day and hang up.

You should be able to take the extras days while you submit the paperwork for added days.

BUCN85

Stop asking for FMLA days. You tell them your taking a day and hang up.

You should be able to take the extras days while you submit the paperwork for added days.
Oh I'm not asking for the days. I told them. I know the days pretty much a week in advance but this came up on Monday for a Thursday appointment when I was told you can't have the day off your scheduled for FMLA on Friday you can't take whatever day you want and center them around your weekends. And I told them too bad I'm taking it off. It's just very unfortunate that some people have to act this way and try to make me more stressed than I already am.

oldngray

nowhere special
Oh I'm not asking for the days. I told them. I know the days pretty much a week in advance but this came up on Monday for a Thursday appointment when I was told you can't have the day off your scheduled for FMLA on Friday you can't take whatever day you want and center them around your weekends. And I told them too bad I'm taking it off. It's just very unfortunate that some people have to act this way and try to make me more stressed than I already am.

The problem is you are trying to be a nice guy and give them advance notice. Sadly you might end up having to say screw them and just call in on days you need off.

I would call HR immediately. They can't harass you over that.

Indecisi0n

Give them as much advance as you can. If you have the months schedule then give it to them on paper signed and dated. Tell them those are the days and walk out his office. His has no right to say no. He shouldn't even be asking you about what it's for. Go to HR and ask them if they want to handle this or your FMLA lawyer.

DieHardUPSER

I've already contacted our local over it and I'm staying in touch with the BA over this. If I get a hard time tomorow when I call in for FMLA. I'm filing for harassment

Get with your Local HR person. Make sure you document that you put them on notice of the behavior of your management team. Call Aetna and let them know you need to adjust your schedule ( they will usually let you take extra days while they wait on additional documentation). You DO NOT have to give them advance notice. YOU CAN call them even the day of and tell them you are taking a day.

BUCN85

Give them as much advance as you can. If you have the months schedule then give it to them on paper signed and dated. Tell them those are the days and walk out his office. His has no right to say no. He shouldn't even be asking you about what it's for. Go to HR and ask them if they want to handle this or your FMLA lawyer.
I actually have her schedule for injections and treatments all the way through December. Now there are 3 other dr's that schedule around these treatments. We try to get them all on the same day. But it's not always possible. But I'm not giving them this information.