Under 9.5 List

What is up with this? At our small center about 80 percent of the drivers have signed up but we've been told we have to ask every day to work under 9.5. I've got family issues (2 special needs foster kids and a seriously ill partner) and I've asked not to work as late as I have been. We don't have a preload here and drivers load the trucks, so I've been very careful not to ask specifically to work under 9.5 because I knew they would just back me off the sort and load and keep me working just as late or even later. Well, I pissed off the center manager yesterday and she changed my start time from 8:30 to 10:00. She's claiming that I've asked to work under 9.5 and that's the only way she can do it. I'm on the under 9.5 list, but, like I said, so are 80 percent of us. What can I do? What are other centers doing?
This is my first time posting here so please bear with me. Mike sounds like you are dealing with DC, I have had lots of problems in our center that she seems to always make worse. But she is about par for most in the puzzle palace in ANC.

AlaskaMike

This is my first time posting here so please bear with me. Mike sounds like you are dealing with DC, I have had lots of problems in our center that she seems to always make worse. But she is about par for most in the puzzle palace in ANC.

Yep, she seems to be able to take a simple problem and make it insanely complicated.

J

JonFrum

. . . Over 9.5 3 days in any 5 workday period,example:you are over 9.5 say THursday and Friday of one week and Wednsday of the next week it is a violation.Doc

Doc,

Is that something in your Supplement? Because Article 37 of the National Master says:
"Drivers who choose to opt-in on the 9.5 list shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continually worked a driver more than nine and one-half (9.5) hours per day for any three (3) days in a workweek."
_ _ _ _ _

FMLA Website:
http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

See Contract Article 16, Section 6 - FMLA:
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/ups-teamsters-national-master-agreement.335360/

JustTired

free at last.......
Yet, again, the over 9.5 issue has reared its' ugly head. And this contract does nothing to fix the problem.
As I've stated in a previous post: If the numbers are attainable, there will be drivers
trying to attain them. If they're not, why would anybody even try?

You might attain them if you skip your lunch and breaks, run from the pkg car to the porch all day long, and take shortcuts that compromise service and safety. But you have to ask yourself just how long you can keep that up and to what end. Will it be the promise of getting home earlier..... or more stops for your trouble?
There was a time when a majority of the drivers in my center ran scratch or early. Then an adjustment to the standards was made (years after the fact) to take into account the use of the diad. Although the diad may have made some difference in efficiency, it is my contention that it mostly made everybodies job after the driver easier than it did the drivers'.

Then came PAS/EDD and a further adjustment to the standards. Nevermind that before that almost no one was running scratch anymore and most were averaging 1hr. overallowed. In my opinion, the numbers have changed solely for the justification of not putting more drivers on the road.

The good news: The company owns those numbers. They are the ones who have to live with the reports.

The bad news: We are being dispatched by those bogus numbers.

yea we needed bigger Pak Car to porter from airport on an other island, have been blowing out of our p800. Guess what we got? A p700, I have been trying to git a bigger car for this for about 2 years as if we cant git all the freight from airport have to send some one back, another ferry ride, another couple hours, and every one doing double trips. But hey its ont about the money.

doctor brown 688

JohnFrum, you are correct thanks for cathing that.I believe 3 in a 5 was defined in a greivance panel decision in our local, will have to check with the B.A. for sure to see how it came about, but it is the practice in our local. Seems there is alot of good info on this board but one really needs to ask the steward and Business Agent in their own area,alot of different local languages out there.Since I'm new to the board,has there ever been a topic about the different local contract language"perks"?

AlaskaMike

Good news:

The Teamsters' business agent in charge of UPS statewide talked to my center manager. She (the center manager) claimed the problem wasn't grieve-able. The B.A.'s response was something like "Let's try it and see..." Needless to say, next week my start time is back to normal.

over9five

Staff member
Excellent! Sounds like your CMs boss probably had a little talk with her after that. Quite the butt chewing I bet! Good to see her suffer a bit after trying something unethical.

currahee

My center hasnt posted 9.5 list yet. Please could one of you explain (opt in/opt out). I think i have general idea if I opt in mgmt is supposed to keep you under9.5 3 days in a week.If I opt out does that mean i working 60 hours a week? Where does triple time come in and do i have to file for it?

UpsYours

first i would do a much better job of loading than any preloader can.ups is the only thing that exists in this world in there minds .they dont give a smile* about you ,your kids or your wife..and they are suprised that morale for this job is always low.there mind set is we should be happy we have to work all this o.t. every day....