Understaffed, now go home.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
Our preload supervisors complain that we are chronically understaffed, as is evident by the revolving door of employees.

However, at least 3 times a week they ask senior employees if they want to stay or go home. I'm assuming it's because we have too many workers, which contradicts our under-staffing woes. Several almost always say "go home", but some stay.

Those that leave cause an even greater shortage of workers during the shift.

Out of curiosity, does this sort of thing happen at your center(s)? What's the concept behind it? Squeeze as much as possible out of the skeleton crew while continuing to save $ by cutting labor costs? I guess that $11/hr. adds up.

km3

There seems to be a lot of this going around right now. I posted this message just yesterday. Another person in the same thread is seeing it in his building too.

An extra $20 per check is pretty nice for a PTer.

The bigger issue is when supervisors send people home or to a different area and then turn around and start performing their work. Out of all the reasons why a supervisor may start working, this is by far the least defensible. And it's exactly what I'm seeing in my building right now.

Funny...when you ask a supervisor why he or she is working, "because we're understaffed."
"But you sent people home 90 minutes ago because we were 'overstaffed.' Well, which is it? Make up your mind, please?" It makes me sick.

Out of curiosity, does this sort of thing happen at your center(s)? What's the concept behind it? Squeeze as much as possible out of the skeleton crew while continuing to save $ by cutting labor costs? I guess that $11/hr. adds up.

Just another one of IE's wet dreams. I doubt it's to save money on hourly workers making $11, because they're trying to hire 7 more PT supervisors for my shift alone. That might make sense if we had lost 7 PT supervisors. But we haven't lost any. As far as I can tell, they're just hiring supervisors for the sake of hiring supervisors.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
they always ask higher senoirity if they want to leave. it is based on what the volume is.

trickpony1

Be aware that when you go home you don't get credit towards your pension which, in some areas, is 750 hours worked for a full year credit.

This might be important later on down the road.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Be aware that when you go home you don't get credit towards your pension which, in some areas, is 750 hours worked for a full year credit.

We had a FT driver who had to work 6 months past her projected retirement date for that very reason. Too many dead days.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

In my local we get pension and health & welfare credit for the week if we work as little as one minute.

The Chosen 1

God, Family, UPSer
Our preload supervisors complain that we are chronically understaffed, as is evident by the revolving door of employees.

However, at least 3 times a week they ask senior employees if they want to stay or go home. I'm assuming it's because we have too many workers, which contradicts our under-staffing woes. Several almost always say "go home", but some stay.

Those that leave cause an even greater shortage of workers during the shift.

This has been going on in my Center on the preload shift as well.. They ask about anywhere from 2-5 people if they would like to go home and they all say yes which then puts more work on everyone else... It's been like this since the end of peak...

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Preload knows how much volume is coming in and they are cutting to the arbitrary number someone above has set for them.

If it weren't a high seniority person volunteering it would be someone on the bottomed being sent home. Either way they are getting to the number that is determined for that volume and routes planned.

Preload knows how much volume is coming in and they are cutting to the arbitrary number someone above has set for them.

If it weren't a high seniority person volunteering it would be someone on the bottomed being sent home. Either way they are getting to the number that is determined for that volume and routes planned.
And the drivers end up with crappy loads and a lot of damaged and misloaded packages. Of course the Center most likely cut routes that day for the same reason.