union dues case at scotus

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I guess I don't understand the fundamental aspects, of the argument.

Union dues or even agency fee's, can't be used for (direct) political purposes.

That's what a PAC fund is for. It comes from voluntary contributions.

Trying to say that Union Official salaries and travel expenses (related to

political activity on behalf of the members) is a bit of a stretch.

My Local doesn't use D.R.I.V.E. money explicitly for Democratic candidates.

If you can help our members.... we will support you.

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess I don't understand the fundamental aspects, of the argument.

Union dues or even agency fee's, can't be used for (direct) political purposes.

That's what a PAC fund is for. It comes from voluntary contributions.

Trying to say that Union Official salaries and travel expenses (related to

political activity on behalf of the members) is a bit of a stretch.

My Local doesn't use D.R.I.V.E. money explicitly for Democratic candidates.

If you can help our members.... we will support you.

-Bug-
If you read the two graphs above from the Center for Responsive Politics, you can see there was over $60 Million that flowed from Public Unions to Political contributions. The numbers used for the graph are below.

I investigated Center for Responsive Politics at Center for Responsive Politics (Open Secrets) - Media Bias/Fact Check
and the Center for Responsive Politics appears be truly non-partisan.

Public Union Numbers.jpg

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Anybody who works for a living should have the right to unionize regardless of who their employer is. If the government doesn't want to negotiate with a union then they should get out of the employment business.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Public employee union fees raise ire at Supreme Court but key justice remains silent on direction

Arguments were heard today (2/26/18) by the SCOTUS.

"You're basically arguing, 'Do away with unions,'" Justice Sonia Sotomayor told Messenger near the end of the hour-long debate.

Democrats fear losing $16 - $56 Million per year.

View attachment 182573
In NJ, state Senator Steve Sweeney dared to work with the GOP governor in order to fix the teacher pension mess. (It was almost broke). The teachers union spent millions to try to defeat him and to send others a message. (Sweeny is also president of the local Iron workers union).

If I am in that union, should I have the right not to contribute to political activities I may disagree with?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Anybody who works for a living should have the right to unionize regardless of who their employer is. If the government doesn't want to negotiate with a union then they should get out of the employment business.
And they should have a right to choose not to be in that union also. And no I don't mean find another job

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If the union had a right to not cover those employees I might agree with you. That's not the way RTW works though.
I agree. The laws are poorly written.

However public and private unions are totally different. Private bankrupts a company and puts themselves out of a job.

Public bankrupts the state and its people and most are likely still considers necessary jobs.