Union Dues start after 3 years... over $1000 owed in back-pay

Broady

So on my last two checks I started receiving union dues and my initiation fee, and this is the first time this has happened in about three years of working for the ups union. I had no idea they we not withdrawing my union dues because this is the first union I have been in. If my calculations are correct I owe near 1000$. They have been withdrawing 17$ a month starting now, and almost 100$ total out for my initiation fee which it should stop now because I believe it is only 100$ for that. Anyways 17$ a month plus what I should be paying, (near 7$ a week) will take me 8-1/2 years to pay off! Is there anything I can do about this or am I just screwed?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So on my last two checks I started receiving union dues and my initiation fee, and this is the first time this has happened in about three years of working for the ups union. I had no idea they we not withdrawing my union dues because this is the first union I have been in. If my calculations are correct I owe near 1000$. They have been withdrawing 17$ a month starting now, and almost 100$ total out for my initiation fee which it should stop now because I believe it is only 100$ for that. Anyways 17$ a month plus what I should be paying, (near 7$ a week) will take me 8-1/2 years to pay off! Is there anything I can do about this or am I just screwed?
Go to the hall and write them a check for back dues.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

As hard as it is to believe, you were "unaware"....

Have you been notified by your Local, of their intent to collect ?

Go to the hall and write them a check for back dues.

We all paid it. You don't want a free ride do you?

Hold on guys....

It sounds like he is on checkoff, and it could be the company's fault.

If the OP responds further.... more advice will ensue.

-Bug-

upschuck

When that happened here, with no fault of the member, the local gave them a break. Call the local, they may be able to give you partial credit for some of that time. They may not be going all the way back to your beginning.

Broady

As hard as it is to believe, you were "unaware"....

Have you been notified by your Local, of their intent to collect ?

Hold on guys....

It sounds like he is on checkoff, and it could be the company's fault.

If the OP responds further.... more advice will ensue.

-Bug-
I was not notified by anyone, they just now started taking money out of my paycheck. I am not sure what checkoff is, but I am pretty young and like I said this is my first union and I had no idea about these dues. It is not my fault they did not charge me since the start.

Broady

When that happened here, with no fault of the member, the local gave them a break. Call the local, they may be able to give you partial credit for some of that time. They may not be going all the way back to your beginning.
I will have to try that on Monday, thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was not notified by anyone, they just now started taking money out of my paycheck. I am not sure what checkoff is, but I am pretty young and like I said this is my first union and I had no idea about these dues. It is not my fault they did not charge me since the start.

"Dues checkoff" is when you authorize the union to have the company take the money right out of your check. There are some old timers that prefer to write a check to the union every month.

You need to call or stop by your union local to get this straightened out. The last thing you want is to bring home a check with $0 for the "net pay" amount.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@Broady, what is your job with UPS?

Broady

"Dues checkoff" is when you authorize the union to have the company take the money right out of your check. There are some old timers that prefer to write a check to the union every month.

You need to call or stop by your union local to get this straightened out. The last thing you want is to bring home a check with $0 for the "net pay" amount.
They are only taking it monthly right now.