Union Dues Taken Out

Karma...

The recent happenings in Wisc bring up an interesting point...Can Union members opt not to have their dues, initiation etc taken out of their pay and instead pay it at the Union Hall each month ?......I dont see how UPS was conned into doing a Union deductions all these years.....

JonFrum

The recent happenings in Wisc bring up an interesting point...Can Union members opt not to have their dues, initiation etc taken out of their pay and instead pay it at the Union Hall each month ?......I dont see how UPS was conned into doing a Union deductions all these years.....
You can pay dues and Initiation Fees at the Union Hall if you choose. The option of having the monies automatically deducted from your paycheck and remitted to the Union (called Dues Checkoff) is a negotiated feature described in Article 3, Section 3.

Karma...

You can pay dues and Initiation Fees at the Union Hall if you choose. The option of having the monies automatically deducted from your paycheck and remitted to the Union (called Dues Checkoff) is a negotiated feature described in Article 3, Section 3.
Thanks, I must have missed that announcement and posting at work..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't see as how UPS was "conned" but rather that they are making it easier for both the Union and the members by deducting our dues monthly and forwarding them to the Union. We had a couple of drivers who opted out of payroll deduction and paid their dues themselves but I know that if I would be sure to forget to do this.

Karma...

I don't see as how UPS was "conned" but rather that they are making it easier for both the Union and the members by deducting our dues monthly and forwarding them to the Union. We had a couple of drivers who opted out of payroll deduction and paid their dues themselves but I know that if I would be sure to forget to do this.
I feel much better having Uncle Parcel watch my money !

1timepu

I think nobody should have anything deducted from their paycheck, maybe we would get more people upset with how much they pay in taxes and dues.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think nobody should have anything deducted from their paycheck, maybe we would get more people upset with how much they pay in taxes and dues.

This is a valid point--if we had to write a check once a year rather than having it taken out of our check weekly I think most of us would be shocked at just how much we pay in taxes and would work toward reducing those taxes.