Union member responsibility

clarnzz

I was wondering if most people felt it was the responsibility of every union member to document every violation of the contract of the management team?

I usually just fight if something affects me. *ducks*

If you feel this way do you feel it's managements responsibility to document every methods or policy violation by employees?

UPSGUY72

I was wondering if most people felt it was the responsibility of every union member to document every violation of the contract of the management team?

I usually just fight if something affects me. *ducks*

If you feel this way do you feel it's managements responsibility to document every methods or policy violation by employees?

It's a two way street. You pick your battles or be ready to toe the line everyday..

clarnzz

Remember the members are the union if we want to be strong we have to stand strong together. Does his answer your question???

I hear ya, I just have three young kids who all have extracuricular activities. I do not have the free time to devote to fighting the machine and trying to help people who don't want help. I really wish some of the older drivers who have the spare time would put up more of a fight, but they just seem to be coasting towards retirement hoping for as little resistance as possible.

We used to have two great shop stewards who fought their butts off. Forced the company not to allow drivers in their load before their start time, etc.... Eventually they became frustrated with our B.A. as well as the other drivers and both stepped down, now both our shop stewards have less than 3 years driving seniority.

The union presence in my building is very weak and it's unfortunate, it's basically every man for himself....

Omega man

I hear ya, I just have three young kids who all have extracuricular activities. I do not have the free time to devote to fighting the machine and trying to help people who don't want help. I really wish some of the older drivers who have the spare time would put up more of a fight, but they just seem to be coasting towards retirement hoping for as little resistance as possible.

We used to have two great shop stewards who fought their butts off. Forced the company not to allow drivers in their load before their start time, etc.... Eventually they became frustrated with our B.A. as well as the other drivers and both stepped down, now both our shop stewards have less than 3 years driving seniority.

The union presence in my building is very weak and it's unfortunate, it's basically every man for himself....

How are you different from everybody else? We all have obligations outside of work. When members stand by and let others fight all the battles it just weakens us all. Our union is only as strong as the weakest link. The best thing you can do to help your steward is by doing what the Union asks of all of us. Don't cut deals with management, follow the contract at all times and don't cut corners for selfish needs.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I was wondering if most people felt it was the responsibility of every union member to document every violation of the contract of the management team? I usually just fight if something affects me. *ducks* If you feel this way do you feel it's managements responsibility to document every methods or policy violation by employees?
Not necessarily every violation (I don't believe in documenting every little thing because management is usually the same way.. people in my hub aren't necessarily written up for being a few minutes late if it isn't a regular thing, etc.), but I do wish more rank-and-file members would hammer management on 1) supervisors stealing bargaining unit work and 2) management harassing them/their co-workers. Just about everything else can be brought to a steward's attention and adjusted without filing a grievance, but they tend to only cut back on #'s 1 & 2 when they start getting nailed with paperwork. I can't stand someone not being able to get a job or get a preferred job because union members stand around watching supervisors work.

Fullhouse

Nothingwrong with bringing the violation to their attention, at least you have given them a chance to correct their actions. Then, if they do it again file! Sort of like progressive disapline, we don't need to show them the door, sort of speak. We just want them to know, that we are observing them and and we don't mind applying discipline. Role reversal, they do not like!

packageguy

We fight the battles, we grieve it, we have guys that do safety but in there trucks fingerf***king the load. start before start time, we grieve them to. building manager still asking to work with them, we say just pay the grievence.