Union Number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY11725

Anyone know the number to call the union... I actually want to leave it...I am only part time and it started at 5.00 a week to be in it..and now after 2 raises its... 5.75, and now i am expecting a dollar raise for being at a skilled position, and they are probably going to boost it up on me again, so in the long run, its not even like having a raise with the union fee going up every time you get one...and the other reason for me wanting to leave is like I said im part time, I only get around 13-14 hours a week now...I could use that extra 6 dollars for gas, or food...so until I get full time or drive...I want out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

over9five

Staff member
Ah, so you'll accept your UNION NEGOTIATED wage increase, but you want to dump the union. Real nice.

NY11725

Ah, so you'll accept your UNION NEGOTIATED wage increase, but you want to dump the union. Real nice.

yup because it makes no sense that the union has to keep raising their fee when I get a increase in pay, and if the union increases their wage, my wage equals out to bascially the same thing...plus the union doesnt really benifit me as a part time employee.

purplesky

Are you talking about the Initiation fee to get in the union? That will go away after you pay it. Just ask the union how much longer it will take to pay it? If you stay at UPS you will get some pretty good raises compared to other companies and that will be because of the union. Oh Wait a sec! YOU WANT TO DRIVE AND THEN JOIN THE UNION WHEN ITS ONLY GOOD FOR YOU! KID!!!!!! GO WORK AT WALMART OR FEDEX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY LOVE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT DONT WANT TO WORK HARD AND PAY THEIR DUES IN LIFE.

NY11725

Are you talking about the Initiation fee to get in the union? That will go away after you pay it. Just ask the union how much longer it will take to pay it? If you stay at UPS you will get some pretty good raises compared to other companies and that will be because of the union. Oh Wait a sec! YOU WANT TO DRIVE AND THEN JOIN THE UNION WHEN ITS ONLY GOOD FOR YOU! KID!!!!!! GO WORK AT WALMART OR FEDEX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY LOVE PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT DONT WANT TO WORK HARD AND PAY THEIR DUES IN LIFE.

Thats odd because I have been paying almost 6 dollars a week for over a year and 3 months to the union...

JonFrum

Every Local has a different phone number. Check the Union Bulletin Board at work for an official letterhead with the phone number and address of your Local.

Normally a member resigns in writing with a letter to the Local's Secretary-Treasurer.

How long will it be until you can go full-time? It may not be worth resigning if you have already decided to rejoin when you go full-time.

Are you in a "Right-to-Work" State?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

His username is NY11725 which I assume is the zip code which puts him down by NYC. NY is not a right to work state so he works in a closed shop and therefore has no choice in the matter. If $6 has that much of an impact on your budget I do feel sorry for you.

NY11725

His username is NY11725 which I assume is the zip code which puts him down by NYC. NY is not a right to work state so he works in a closed shop and therefore has no choice in the matter. If $6 has that much of an impact on your budget I do feel sorry for you.

and I feel sorry for you buddy for assuming where my location is...ever think my user name is just a user name? and that zip code may " not " be my place of location...I am actually working at UPS in 33442.....and yes , my part times checks are only 130 dollars...so that 6 dollars would help with gas...food..and that 6 dollars adds up over a long period of time....some people arent feeder drivers making 1200 a week. So Jon, AKA Mr Big Shot... You tell me what the union does for me as a part time employee? besides sending me little Inside UPS magizines.....and FYI 11725 isnt NYC....its Long Island...and its like the center of long island...so its quite a few miles from NYC... glad to see you can tell someone where they work because you wanted to be a smartass and assume my username had some relation to my work area....next time think before you speak

NY11725

Every Local has a different phone number. Check the Union Bulletin Board at work for an official letterhead with the phone number and address of your Local.

Normally a member resigns in writing with a letter to the Local's Secretary-Treasurer.

How long will it be until you can go full-time? It may not be worth resigning if you have already decided to rejoin when you go full-time.

Well, considering theres part time employees who have been part time for over 4 years....i have a while yet

NY11725

Yup, I do not want to pay for something that hasnt done anything for me in the past year and 6 months, and lol you want to call me a kid, then yell in caps like a maroon...look at you...pathedic

NY11725

and if anyone is wondering why im getting nasty with some people is because I signed up here that looked like a nice little community to ask a simple question which should of got a simple answer...then you got people bashing, and assuming things like Jon over here who is just asking for trouble...and trying to start conflict. I guess theres people like that where ever you go. You just cant help some people...its a shame

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Well, I suspect you're in Teamster Local 769: http://www.teamsters-local769.com

Here's the thing about being in a union: YOU, and your coworkers are the union. The contract, the local & its staff, the stewards, are there for you to help/benefit yourself.
I suggest you get a copy of the NMA (national master agreement) and all supplements, riders, addenda, letters of understanding that apply to YOU. Your shop steward (ask your coworkers if you don't know who that is), or a call to the local union should get you these. Also, they should be able explain the formula for your dues (yes, they are based on your hourly wage rate).
You want more money, start working your guaranteed minimum of hours (Article 22, section 5(d) of the NMA). Besides more money, are you aware there may be thresholds of minimum hours worked to be entitled to benefits such as paid vacation time, health & welfare (insurance), FMLA time off, pension credit? Do you even know if you're being paid at the proper rate? I don't know what's required under your supplements, but it sounds like you're missing out on 3.5-4.5 hours of work/pay each week & would not be entitled to a full year of pension credit for the first year you worked :sad-little::dissapointed:.

Oh, BTW, congratulations on the pickoff job.:thumbup1:

PS, please reread the responses, JonFrum is usually a calm (& very knowledgeable) poster. I'm afraid you may be mis-attributing posts/posters.

raceanoncr

So Jon, AKA Mr Big Shot... You tell me what the union does for me as a part time employee? besides sending me little Inside UPS magizines.....

then you got people bashing, and assuming things like Jon over here who is just asking for trouble.../QUOTE]

Geez, I'd like to know what the hell Jon did to this guy!!!!! Was it a PM? Was it the tone of the, seemingly, informative reply?

Man, I thot that was a very good answer, very logical, very informative BUT NOW I'M STARTING TO GET MAD AT JON TOO!!!!! Thanks, NY11725, now I won't be able to sleep today! Thanks, alot!!!! And you too, Jon!

NY11725

Well, I suspect you're in Teamster Local 769: http://www.teamsters-local769.com/

Here's the thing about being in a union: YOU, and your coworkers are the union. The contract, the local & its staff, the stewards, are there for you to help/benefit yourself.
I suggest you get a copy of the NMA (national master agreement) and all supplements, riders, addenda, letters of understanding that apply to YOU. Your shop steward (ask your coworkers if you don't know who that is), or a call to the local union should get you these. Also, they should be able explain the formula for your dues (yes, they are based on your hourly wage rate).
You want more money, start working your guaranteed minimum of hours (Article 22, section 5(d) of the NMA). Besides more money, are you aware there may be thresholds of minimum hours worked to be entitled to benefits such as paid vacation time, health & welfare (insurance), FMLA time off, pension credit? Do you even know if you're being paid at the proper rate? I don't know what's required under your supplements, but it sounds like you're missing out on 3.5-4.5 hours of work/pay each week & would not be entitled to a full year of pension credit for the first year you worked :sad-little::dissapointed:.

Oh, BTW, congratulations on the pickoff job.:thumbup1:

PS, please reread the responses, JonFrum is usually a calm (& very knowledgeable) poster. I'm afraid you may be mis-attributing posts/posters.

Now this is the kind of answer that is respected 100%, Hondo didnt just come on and tell me I need to go to walmart, or he feels sorry for me..he wrote a proper answer, and I thank hondo for that...yes I am sure I am getting paid the right amount..when I started, I was at 8.50, but since I got in right before the new contract hit, that auguest, I got 85 cents.. which put me at 9.35...then im not sure when more raises hit but im currently at 11.40 which includes the dollar raise from going up on pick off...but I will look into everything hondo..thanks...im not even 100% Im leaving the union..just wanted the number :)

and thanks for the congrats..not too many has said that to me, im actually surprised...and I dont mean on the forum, I mean at work...its a big deal to me...I guess its not to them..I just feel pick off is like..if your a pick off..then you must be like the best on ur belt right? I was told pick off isnt a seniority position but other people say it is.

NY11725

then you got people bashing, and assuming things like Jon over here who is just asking for trouble.../QUOTE]

Geez, I'd like to know what the hell Jon did to this guy!!!!! Was it a PM? Was it the tone of the, seemingly, informative reply?

Man, I thot that was a very good answer, very logical, very informative BUT NOW I'M STARTING TO GET MAD AT JON TOO!!!!! Thanks, NY11725, now I won't be able to sleep today! Thanks, alot!!!! And you too, Jon!
Just the way he came on and said what he said...he assumed all of his information from my username...and it just rubbed me the wrong way

fethrs

Anyone know the number to call the union... I actually want to leave it...I am only part time and it started at 5.00 a week to be in it..and now after 2 raises its... 5.75, and now i am expecting a dollar raise for being at a skilled position, and they are probably going to boost it up on me again, so in the long run, its not even like having a raise with the union fee going up every time you get one...and the other reason for me wanting to leave is like I said im part time, I only get around 13-14 hours a week now...I could use that extra 6 dollars for gas, or food...so until I get full time or drive...I want out :)
I pay $58 a month for the union. But... it is was worth it when my job was eliminated and the Union was able to get me a new job in a different classification without losing any hours. Had I not been in the Union I would be part-time right now with no help when I need it.
Just a small sample of what the Union can do. Good luck with whatever you decide to do, it is your choice, you know best what works for you.:happy2:

raceanoncr

NY11725;616442Just the way he came on and said what he said...he assumed all of his information from my username...and it just rubbed me the wrong way[/quote said:
Hmmm...NY11725. I think you better go back and reread the posts. From your OP to your last one. You may have Jon confused with somebody else here.

rocket man

SO MR SCAB not mr crab. Even though you want to SPONGE UP THE REWARDS OF OVER 100 YEARS OF FIGHTING FOR YOUR RIGHTS.you are pretty sad to worry about 5 to 6 dollars. IN ny of all place,s go ahead quit THEN QUIT THE COMPANY.AH BETTER YET BECOME A PT SUP SO THE UNION WORKERS WE GRIEVE EVERYTHING YOU DO YOU WILL BE UP IN OFICE SO FAST IT WILL MAKE YOU SORRY YOU EVER JOINED THIS COMPANY THEN YOU WILL BE GONE looking for some represantation to get you back in BUT THERE WONT BE ANY:sad-very: BEFOR YOU get out you should really find out what local you are in .IT MUST BE HARD TO QUIT SOMTHING when YOU DONT EVEN KNOW THE NAME OF YOUR TEAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.