Union or Non-Union Career?

illegalcourier

Been working for UPS P/T while attending school. Don't know how to drive a manual transmission. Really want to grow with the company and enjoy my situation here.

What are good jobs at UPS I can reasonably make a career of? Or maybe, what route would you recommend a 23 year old college student pursue?

(Considering learning manual, obtaining a class-A license, or doing something else?).

PT Car Washer

Been working for UPS P/T while attending school. Don't know how to drive a manual transmission. Really want to grow with the company and enjoy my situation here.

What are good jobs at UPS I can reasonably make a career of? Or maybe, what route would you recommend a 23 year old college student pursue?

(Considering learning manual, obtaining a class-A license, or doing something else?).
Have you considered a masters in European Art History. Growing field with a lot of openings.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Man up and learn to drive manual !!!!

I've been driving for 15 years and I actually learned by reading on the internet (knew no one with a manual trans.). Had no idea to drive it before then.
It's not hard and not an excuse.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Don't go into management. Just suck it up be a driver, make good money, be miserable, then move to feeders, make a lot of money and be happy. It's not hard to learn how to drive a manual.

illegalcourier

I want to learn manual.

How much time does it reasonably take a person to become proficient and confident enough to pass a UPS driver test?

If I can comfortably drive a manual sedan, would I feel confident driving a UPS truck?

UPS4Life

Don't go into management. Just suck it up be a driver, make good money, be miserable, then move to feeders, make a lot of money and be happy. It's not hard to learn how to drive a manual.
I wouldn't go Into package car unless you have to. With the way ups has been hiring people he should be able to go directly into feeders depending on where he is located in the country.

Also you can drive a sedan can you drive a truck? No but you understand the shifting concept. I'm not saying it won't come easy or hard because everyone is different. You have to feel comfortable driving a larger vehicle and multitasking doing all UPS's drills while driving.

If your going feeder honestly the best way to practice backing like to under stand the concept. If you have a riding lawn mower with a wagon and practice going backwards. Not necessarily turning but just when the wagon starts to move how do you straighten it back out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

illegalcourier

I wouldn't go Into package car unless you have to. With the way ups has been hiring people he should be able to go directly into feeders depending on where he is located in the country.

Also you can drive a sedan can you drive a truck? No but you understand the shifting concept. I'm not saying it won't come easy or hard because everyone is different. You have to feel comfortable driving a larger vehicle and multitasking doing all UPS's drills while driving.

If your going feeder honestly the best way to practice backing like to under stand the concept. If you have a riding lawn mower with a wagon and practice going backwards. Not necessarily turning but just when the wagon starts to move how do you straighten it back out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Might have to skip a college semester, and obtain my class A license from a legit driving school?

UPSGUY72

I want to learn manual.

How much time does it reasonably take a person to become proficient and confident enough to pass a UPS driver test?

If I can comfortably drive a manual sedan, would I feel confident driving a UPS truck?

The time frame to become proficient enough on a manual to pass a UPS driving varies greatly depending on the person. Some people pick things up vary quickly other people no so quickly.

It will hep you if you can comfortably drive an manual car. However driving a sedan and a package car aren't the same. There is a lot more car to control when driving a UPS package car then driving a sedan. You have to be able to safely control the vehicle being able to shift through the gears is only part of it.

illegalcourier

The time frame to become proficient enough on a manual to pass a UPS driving varies greatly depending on the person. Some people pick things up vary quickly other people no so quickly.

It will hep you if you can comfortably drive an manual car. However driving a sedan and a package car aren't the same. There is a lot more car to control when driving a UPS package car then driving a sedan. You have to be able to safely control the vehicle being able to shift through the gears is only part of it.

Thanks for your response. Quite set on learning manual transmission.

Must also gain comfort behind the wheel of a larger vehicle in order to pass the road test, and remain safe on the road granted I pass.