Union Problems

First, you know how we are supposed to vote on rule changes well not the case they rammed uniforms down our throat. did some of us need uniforms yes but atleast the could have shorts to go with our pants. Rammed hard hats down our throats. little nick nack crap and it all adds up. BA saying lets not file on that because it could take a long time to have it resolved. Oh yeah i forgot our contract expired on april 14 and neither one is in any big hurry to sign a new one. If you call the BA and tell him you feel like we need to strike he says If you strike now and Indy doesnt strike you will just be hurting yourselves. My question to him was why are we paying union dues if you wont do a**thing for us. Needless to say he hung up on me. I don't think i want to strike but i know i don't want to work any longer with out a contract or work under the last contract. thanks for letting me rant
please comment and give me your opinion and ideas on what i can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLACKBALLED

Let me tell you one thing about the Union, they have their faults and whatnot, but if it was not for the Union, the Benefits, the Pay and the oppty. to Go Driving would not be what they are now. you really need to pick and choose your battles, this the problem these days everyone wants something for nothing! The Union can only do so Much. Appreciate what you have because there are a lot of people worse off than you!

Alexx

If not for the union this job would be like any other crappy part time job... no benefits no raises definitely no retirement, crap hours plus you have no rights at all as an employee. I love the union they are the reason I love this job.

Has anyone been thru a strike? 716 is telling us "if we strike we are not promised our jobs back". So what kind of bargaining power do we have than. Should we just bend over and take it? I don't wont to strike if i won't have a job after its done.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Has anyone been thru a strike? 716 is telling us "if we strike we are not promised our jobs back". So what kind of bargaining power do we have than. Should we just bend over and take it? I don't wont to strike if i won't have a job after its done.
I've got no dog in this fight.......but,never do anything you don't want to do!!

bluehdmc

Has anyone been thru a strike? 716 is telling us "if we strike we are not promised our jobs back". So what kind of bargaining power do we have than. Should we just bend over and take it? I don't wont to strike if i won't have a job after its done.[/QUOTE

Your union is correct. I went on strike once and this was explained to us by the union, (the vote to strike was by 2 votes). Someone complained to a labor board that the "replacement law" was not explained correctly, we voted again an by 2 votes accepted the contract.
This was not with UPS,

This in NOT exactly how the law reads, I'm paraphrasing but basically if you vote to strike the company can consider that you all quit and hire "replacement workers". You can still walk a picket line, (do you really want to be a "replacement worker" crossing a picket line) ?
The company you work for can then settle a contract with the union, (or you could walk a picket line for a very long time). When and if they do settle with the union they DO NOT have to rehire the former employees. (although this would likely be negotiated in the contract settlement)
This is basically the replacement law that was explained to us. Some companies have operated a long time with replacement workers and picket lines, usually if possible work get shuffled to another facility.

Realisictly (sp) with unemployment high, an employer could probably hire replacement employees. The police may end up being called so the replacement employees could cross the picket lines to enter the facility. In a case like a UPS facility, if there was a picket line, teamsters from other hub would not be required (and should not) cross any picket line, so how any feeders would get in an out of the facility would create a big hardship on the company.

When I was with this union I walked 2 picket lines one for 6 weeks, the second one (where the replacement law deal explained above ended up applying) for 2 weeks. Both time we ended up settling for essentially the same thing we walked out over, the first time we didn't get anymore money, just 3 sick days. The second time the exact same thing. All that was really achieved was time off work, with no pay, out in the cold, (it was December) walking picket lines.
I understand sometimes there is a need to strike, but you will never make up the money. I worked for one employer once, we negotiated a contract and one employee wanted to strike for about 20-25 cents an hour, (the difference between 2.5% and 3% increase). I had to explain to him it would take about 5yrs or more to make up that difference.

As far as filing a grievance and waiting a long time for it to be settled, so what?
If there is any money involved it just keeps adding up, and if you win the check get bigger.