Union protest next thursday?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Was told today it's because of the ass kicking we've been getting for the last 18 months. My center is cutting routes like never before. Guys are going out with over 250 stops, yes OVER 250 stops. A good friend of mine punched out tonight at 10 pm because they cut TWO business routes and piled it on the route he was covering. Enough is enough.

Did he get all of the stops done?

A couple of years ago they tried pulling a stunt like that on my route. I simply followed the methods, took my full hour lunch at noon, and called them at 1:00 to let them know that they had a problem.

I delivered businesses right up until it was time to begin the pickup route. About halfway through the pickup route I ran out of room to contain any more volume due to the space being taken up by the undelivered businesses. So I called in again to let them know that they had a problem.

I wound up with 4 or 5 missed pickups and 20 or 30 missed business stops that day. It wasnt fun. I'm not proud of it. But the funny thing is, they have yet to try doing that again.

Dealing with this company is a lot like dealing with a dog that pisses on your carpet. You catch them, and you yell at them and smack them with a newspaper and rub their nose in the mess, and they will usually stop doing it for awhile. But every so often, they will revert to old behavior and go back and piss on that same spot again, and you will have to repeat the process.

upserr1

All we really need to do is to call for a nationwide "100% compliance day". 100% compliance with the contract, 100% compliance with every single solitary work method, 100% compliance with safety.

What would happen if every driver nationwide shut the truck down from noon to 1:00 for lunch? What would happen if every driver followed trace or EDD 100%? What would happen if every driver used 100% perfect Driver Release methods and walked off every single residential stop instead of turning around in the driveway?

Its funny to me how so many of the people I hear bitching about the union or the "lousy" contract are the same people I see skipping their lunches or taking them at 7:30 at night in order to get 10 hours worth of business deliveries done. They gripe about the weak 9.5 language, yet they perpetuate the problem rather than growing a pair and standing up for themselves.

If you dont like the contract that Hoffa negotiated for us, blame your coworkers who ratified the offer. We will only get the contract that we are willing to strike for. Hoffa knows this, and the company knows it too.

AMEN

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I walked into to work today and read the center printouts for trace compliance, pickup compliance, 8 hour days, planned days, etc...

The center planned "average" day was 9.2 hours and 9.5 hours was the "actual". This is roughly 50 drivers.

The best part was, I looked under hours worked and also trace compliance - the steward was last in trace compliance at a woeful 58% and first in 8 hr req and hours worked ;D

whiskey

I walked into to work today and read the center printouts for trace compliance, pickup compliance, 8 hour days, planned days, etc...

The center planned "average" day was 9.2 hours and 9.5 hours was the "actual". This is roughly 50 drivers.

The best part was, I looked under hours worked and also trace compliance - the steward was last in trace compliance at a woeful 58% and first in 8 hr req and hours worked ;D

Looks like the steward is on car soup material. After taking the job, he will be fired. Happens every day.

DS

Fenderbender
What is a union protest?It makes no sense.
Why do we have a contract?
Is buttons and stickers the best they can do?
God help us

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What is a union protest?It makes no sense.
Why do we have a contract?
Is buttons and stickers the best they can do?
God help us

Sober gave an excellent suggestion on this topic. Rather than have a National Grievance Day we should have a National Compliance Day. We all should follow the contract to the letter and use the methods to a T. We should take our lunch and break(s) during the contractual negotiated times. We should follow EDD 100% and ensure 100% pickup compliance. We should do all of these things and then put the ball in their court when we can't make service.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sober gave an excellent suggestion on this topic. Rather than have a National Grievance Day we should have a National Compliance Day. We all should follow the contract to the letter and use the methods to a T. We should take our lunch and break(s) during the contractual negotiated times. We should follow EDD 100% and ensure 100% pickup compliance. We should do all of these things and then put the ball in their court when we can't make service.

Sounds great but will never happen.
Here is a great little example why.

we have a steward and several FTs inside the building who take their lunches in the FIRST hour of work! Infact when I started my new job last year, I was told that I HAD to take a lunch between 1st and 2nd hour on the job because that was when it was best for the company. The steward agreed.

This is the same steward who smokes cigarettes in the middle of the building during the shift and the FT supervisor allows that (they have a job behavioral deal)

Imagine that lunch dilemma. Seeing your steward willingly violate the contract and making sure 10 others in the same bid job also violate it to keep the company happy.

Guess what I did? I Told them to take their 1st hour lunch and shove it. Did I get targeted? Of course, still am and always will be.

One of our helpful stewards said he couldn't believe I did that and he wished others would follow in. No one else has...they're all still blind sheep following UPSs and the UPS stewards word...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are right--it would never happen, at least not on a national basis, but this is the only way that I can see for us to send a strong message to the company to back off on the production push.

curiousbrain

Sounds great but will never happen.
Here is a great little example why.

we have a steward and several FTs inside the building who take their lunches in the FIRST hour of work! Infact when I started my new job last year, I was told that I HAD to take a lunch between 1st and 2nd hour on the job because that was when it was best for the company. The steward agreed.

This is the same steward who smokes cigarettes in the middle of the building during the shift and the FT supervisor allows that (they have a job behavioral deal)

Imagine that lunch dilemma. Seeing your steward willingly violate the contract and making sure 10 others in the same bid job also violate it to keep the company happy.

Guess what I did? I Told them to take their 1st hour lunch and shove it. Did I get targeted? Of course, still am and always will be.

One of our helpful stewards said he couldn't believe I did that and he wished others would follow in. No one else has...they're all still blind sheep following UPSs and the UPS stewards word...

I am far from a model union member, let that be said up front; however, I don't shill for the company either.

With that said, I agree that the likelihood of organizing strikes/compliance is minimal. An example is the strike/lock-out (depending on who you believe) happening in Connecticut at Dichello Distributors; they have been locked out for around two months now, standing outside every day (so I hear), and no other members of their local join them (or, at least, very few). It shows a lack of solidarity in the same local that, from a business perspective, can easily be exploited.

Reference: here. It is one article of many from that organization.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am far from a model union member, let that be said up front; however, I don't shill for the company either.

That is the toughest road - when you're on the fence between trying to do good for your mgmt team and also trying to protect yourself.

I say let them know that you are 100% for the contract and live up to it. Any good manager recognizes that if you work hard and also always represent the contract, there should be no problems in that relationship because the boundries are spelled out to T. The problems always seem to come from those poor managers and sups that take it personally and act upon themselves to try to "teach a lesson" when the contract is always upheld.

whiskey

Nothing on for this Thursday. Just the usual book offs if the weather is nice. Good time to fertilize the lawn.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Local handed out stickers and called for a meeting with the management and local 728. Said this was around the country. Intresting to see how many people were so scared of wearing the stickers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Local handed out stickers and called for a meeting with the management and local 728. Said this was around the country. Intresting to see how many people were so scared of wearing the stickers.

We all wore our stickers in the building but were told by the center manager in no uncertain terms that we were not to wear them or affix them to any UPS equipment while on the road or outside of the building.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We all wore our stickers in the building but were told by the center manager in no uncertain terms that we were not to wear them or affix them to any UPS equipment while on the road or outside of the building.

I should clarify, we had people intimidated not to wear them before start time. After start time we took them off and saved them for tomorrow.