Union Steward misconduct

UPSER1987

This I think, is a key phrase that says quite a bit.

If you called most BAs with a legitimate complaint against a steward, I think they'd be very interested in investigating it.

How do you know he has called management and requested that people be terminated?
And how do you know what contacts he has in upper management?

It sounds to me like you have a personal issue with this guy, and so you've decided he is a bad steward. I say that, because you've made it sound like you are the only person who has a problem with him.

I don't know.
Maybe he is a bad steward, but it sounds like you have a personal problem with him.
If you aren’t in this local, you don’t know. The OP was right on with his/her assessment and no one challenges anything. Very weak local.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Local 104 is not weak nor is it corrupt. Those were some very specific accusations. Every Steward has accused of being in managements pocket when a grievance doesn't go the members way or when they "shop" for a Steward more willing to make an emotional argument or one that doesn't ask the hard questions. Sometimes having a rapport with management is seen incorrectly as collusion. With regard to drivers being called into the office- correlation is not causation. Management sometimes likes to claim a Steward por B.A. is on their side in a meeting and we've ripped them a new one every time. I've stopped many a meeting to call my B.A. directly to call out the lying manager on speakerphone. If they claim another Steward said it's OK well too bad you're dealing with me. If you have documented proof that a Steward is harming members it is your duty to bring formal charges before the Executive board. I would strongly encourage you to pursue this if you have proof as any Steward or member that lacks integrity harms us all.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Local 104 is not weak nor is it corrupt. Those were some very specific accusations. Every Steward has accused of being in managements pocket when a grievance doesn't go the members way or when they "shop" for a Steward more willing to make an emotional argument or one that doesn't ask the hard questions. Sometimes having a rapport with management is seen incorrectly as collusion. With regard to drivers being called into the office- correlation is not causation. Management sometimes likes to claim a Steward por B.A. is on their side in a meeting and we've ripped them a new one every time. I've stopped many a meeting to call my B.A. directly to call out the lying manager on speakerphone. If they claim another Steward said it's OK well too bad you're dealing with me. If you have documented proof that a Steward is harming members it is your duty to bring formal charges before the Executive board. I would strongly encourage you to pursue this if you have proof as any Steward or member that lacks integrity harms us all.
Very well said!

UPSER1987

Ok.

AKCoverMan

No not a personal problem! But I finding disgusting when you are paying dues and have a Steward snitching on people to management! How do I know this??
The people who do have bad blood or vice versa with this steward are always being called for by management and they know it's this steward who's doing this! There are complaints about this guy at the hall! ... You don't have a problem with this is I see!

Ok.. but where is the line drawn. Suppose for instance, a steward sees a member constantly refusing to follow methods? Maybe not the stewards job to inform management right?

So how about if steward observes a member stealing items out of a package? Is this steward a “rat” if he/she reports the theft? I’m guessing/hoping most people would say no, that theft should obviously be reported.

So where is the line? It’s somewhere in between, right? The steward should be on the side of the member but at some point a members’ bad behavior may actually be potentially harmful to other members whom also deserve the stewards help and representation.

It’s a tricky balance IMO.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ok.. but where is the line drawn. Suppose for instance, a steward sees a member constantly refusing to follow methods? Maybe not the stewards job to inform management right?

So how about if steward observes a member stealing items out of a package? Is this steward a “rat” if he/she reports the theft? I’m guessing/hoping most people would say no, that theft should obviously be reported.

So where is the line? It’s somewhere in between, right? The steward should be on the side of the member but at some point a members’ bad behavior may actually be potentially harmful to other members whom also deserve the stewards help and representation.

It’s a tricky balance IMO.

THE TEAMSTER OATH​

I, (given name), pledge my honor to faithfully observe the Constitution and the laws of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and the Bylaws and laws of this Local Union.

I pledge that I will comply with all the rules and regulations for the government of the International Union and this Local Union.

I will faithfully perform all the duties assigned to me to the best of my ability and skill.

I will conduct myself at all times in a manner as not to bring reproach upon my Union.

I shall take an affirmative part in the business and activities of the Union and accept and discharge my responsibilities during any authorized strike or lockout.

I pledge not to divulge to non-members the private business of this Union, unless authorized to reveal the same.

I will never knowingly harm a fellow member.

I will never discriminate against a fellow worker on account of race, color, religion, sex, age, physical disability or national origin.

I will refrain from any conduct that would interfere with the Union’s performance of its legal or contractual obligations.

I will at all times bear true and faithful allegiance to the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, and this Local Union.

AKCoverMan

Doesn’t answer my question. Is turning in a thief harming him? Or is turning a blind eye to dishonesty and theft harming other members?

AKCoverMan

I will conduct myself at all times in a manner as not to bring reproach upon my Union.

Wouldn’t willfully allowing certain conduct by another member bring “reproach upon my Union”?

Sorry, I can’t see a protect-the-member-at-all-cost approach. There is right and wrong.

Suppose you know a fellow member is drunk and about to drive? Are you harming the member if you report him?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Doesn’t answer my question. Is turning in a thief harming him? Or is turning a blind eye to dishonesty and theft harming other members?

Nobody said turn a blind eye. He took the same oath.

"I will conduct myself at all times in a manner as not to bring reproach upon my Union."

If you are in a RTW state and he's not a union member, turn his ass over to management. If he's a union member, deal with the matter through the union.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Wouldn’t willfully allowing certain conduct by another member bring “reproach upon my Union”?

Sorry, I can’t see a protect-the-member-at-all-cost approach. There is right and wrong.

Suppose you know a fellow member is drunk and about to drive? Are you harming the member if you report him?

I would say letting him drive drunk is harming him, but there are other ways to take care of the situation. I'm not playing the arbiter of truth here. You have to do what you think is right. Reporting someone to management maybe shouldn't be the first tool you grab out of the tool box for every situation.

AKCoverMan

I would say letting him drive drunk is harming him, but there are other ways to take care of the situation. I'm not playing the arbiter of truth here. You have to do what you think is right. Reporting someone to management maybe shouldn't be the first tool you grab out of the tool box for every situation.
Fair enough my brother. Absolutely not should going to management be the first tool, I’m mearly pointing out situations where perhaps it may be the right thing to do and nevertheless you may put yourself in line to be the target for “steward under CMs desk” comments.