Union steward

Dan234

I called in sick yesterday, and the full time sup said that i have to come in, and that no one will get days off this week. I told him that i will try to come in, and he said if i don't show up I will be sitting with union steward what does that mean? and what can they do?

BrownTexas

It is basically him bullying you to come to work. He is trying to scare you by saying you will be in "the office" and there will be a write up waiting for u tomorrow. I promise you aren't the only one not working that day.

Dan234

It is basically him bullying you to come to work. He is trying to scare you by saying you will be in "the office" and there will be a write up waiting for u tomorrow. I promise you aren't the only one not working that day.
Thanks dude
so if he writes me up should I refuse to sign it or what?!!

BrownBrokeDown

Thanks dude
so if he writes me up should I refuse to sign it or what?!!
Request a union steward at the start of the meeting if one isn't present. More than likely, he will make them take it out of your record if you called in more than 1 hour before your shift and don't have attendance issues.

By The Book

I called in sick yesterday, and the full time sup said that i have to come in, and that no one will get days off this week. I told him that i will try to come in, and he said if i don't show up I will be sitting with union steward what does that mean? and what can they do?
If they write you up for that, maybe the next sick call is on Friday or Monday. I guess if your sick and can work, the flip side is your not sick and can't work. Meaning if they force you in now don't feel guilty about calling in when your not sick.

Dan234

If they write you up for that, maybe the next sick call is on Friday or Monday. I guess if your sick and can work, the flip side is your not sick and can't work. Meaning if they force you in now don't feel guilty about calling in when your not sick.
Well i didn't go there yesterday so i guess they will write me up today for that.
but should I sign it or should I RTS

By The Book

Well i didn't go there yesterday so i guess they will write me up today for that.
Yes,get a steward to go into the office with you. You should find one first or they may just grab a buddy and say that's ok. If you have sick days on the books and called ahead, like the other poster mentioned you should be fine. The sup is a little but hurt it didn't go as he planned. It could blow over too so don't ask to talk to them about it when you show up.

10 point

Sometimes, an employee when asked to sign the documentation will say "OK, I'll sign" and quickly writes "rts" instead of his initials on the page. If management doesn't pay attention they think he signed it. If they dont catch it and fail to get the steward to initial it too they can't use it against the employee later.

They play games, we play games too.

Ron Carey lives on

"Im not going to make it in today, got a personal issue going on " click. Don't get caught at the local pub that day. Take care of what you got to, or stay your
:censored2: at home

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited by a moderator:

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Sometimes, an employee when asked to sign the documentation will say "OK, I'll sign" and quickly writes "rts" instead of his initials on the page. If management doesn't pay attention they think he signed it. If they dont catch it and fail to get the steward to initial it too they can't use it against the employee later.

They play games, we play games too.

I really wish this "RTS" myth would go ahead and die. Refusing to sign a write-up or putting "RTS" instead of your initials isn't some magic silver bullet for getting out of discipline at UPS. If it was, no one would ever be fired through progressive discipline.

10 point

I really wish this "RTS" myth would go ahead and die. Refusing to sign a write-up or putting "RTS" instead of your initials isn't some magic silver bullet for getting out of discipline at UPS. If it was, no one would ever be fired through progressive discipline.
They have ten days to discipline after the matter is disclosed to the employee. Prove you made it aware on paper.

I was looking thru my file a of months ago I found a "write up" from a former sup with my name on it and no one initialed it. I made them mark it out of my file. Management can't just write junk in there and have no witnesses with the plan of using it later. Silver bullet it isn't (RTS) but it helos to rebut their allegations down the road.

Documentation is everything.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Refusing to sign, for me, is more of a statement of my defiance. If it applies to a fair days work, and just about everything does, I won't sign, initial, or touch it with a pen. It will not stop the discipline processes. We've seen phases here where they ask the team to sign every handout at the pcm for several days and then slip something in dealing directly with sporh. You should see the drivers heads turning all around looking for some kind of sign from above, as to should they sign or not. It's easy to get complacent and get swept up as a group, especially in a right to work state.
I had a center manager once take a sheet to each driver, like a roster, listing each name, date signed, signature and sporh. Everyone to a man signed their name. When he came to me I said, I can't commit to this. He replied, there's no commitment, it's all ok, just sign it. So I did. I signed it as "No Commitment" He just stared at that sig as he walked away, his perfect sheet defiled with my defiance.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
They have ten days to discipline after the matter is disclosed to the employee. Prove you made it aware on paper.

I was looking thru my file a of months ago I found a "write up" from a former sup with my name on it and no one initialed it. I made them mark it out of my file. Management can't just write junk in there and have no witnesses with the plan of using it later. Silver bullet it isn't (RTS) but it helos to rebut their allegations down the road.

Documentation is everything.

You're absolutely spot on with "documentation is everything" and the 10 day time frame. Contractually, your signature/initials only signify that you acknowledge the item is going on your record. If there's no initials on the entry (or even an "RTS" in place of it) then it should be thrown out every time.

"RTS" would simply take the place of your initials from a contractual standpoint. It literally makes no difference. Here, we advise people to sign write-ups "under protest."

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Refusing to sign, for me, is more of a statement of my defiance. If it applies to a fair days work, and just about everything does, I won't sign, initial, or touch it with a pen. It will not stop the discipline processes. We've seen phases here where they ask the team to sign every handout at the pcm for several days and then slip something in dealing directly with sporh. You should see the drivers heads turning all around looking for some kind of sign from above, as to should they sign or not. It's easy to get complacent and get swept up as a group, especially in a right to work state.
I had a center manager once take a sheet to each driver, like a roster, listing each name, date signed, signature and sporh. Everyone to a man signed their name. When he came to me I said, I can't commit to this. He replied, there's no commitment, it's all ok, just sign it. So I did. I signed it as "No Commitment" He just stared at that sig as he walked away, his perfect sheet defiled with my defiance.

You can refuse to sign anything relating to a fair day's work for a fair day's pay under the new contract. You can also refuse to sign anything related to a change in working conditions (ie. a sheet banning headphones inside the hub) as it constitutes an extra contract agreement. I'm simply complaining about people perpetuating the myth of being able to refuse to sign an actual write-up that's been added to their employee record, as I've seen guys go to panel over similar stuff and lose in my area.

You can refuse to sign anything relating to a fair day's work for a fair day's pay under the new contract. You can also refuse to sign anything related to a change in working conditions (ie. a sheet banning headphones inside the hub) as it constitutes an extra contract agreement. I'm simply complaining about people perpetuating the myth of being able to refuse to sign an actual write-up that's been added to their employee record, as I've seen guys go to panel over similar stuff and lose in my area.
Last time I had a safety ride,I didn't agree with everything that he wrote down. So I signed It and wrote signed under protest and disagree with the above statements! Sup wasn't happy,oh well...atleast I signed it!

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Last time I had a safety ride,I didn't agree with everything that he wrote down. So I signed It and wrote signed under protest and disagree with the above statements! Sup wasn't happy,oh well...atleast I signed it!
Exactly. I even argued with sup on my safety
exactly. Same thing on my "ride". He would say things like don't grab package by straps and start writing on his papers. I didn't touch the straps. I grabbed opposite corners of package and like trained to do and straps happened to be where I grabbed they were even taped down! He said yes you did I sW you do it. Lol. Whatever. They can wipe there arse with those papers.