union

how do I become unionized once I pass 30 days?

Votes: 3 60.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I don't know your local...I'm sure each local has their own thing they do. Why don't you ask your local? I'm sure you could google your locations local and give them a buzz.

sortaisle

No...by local I mean your union local. In fact...if you ask 2 or 3 people you work with who your shop steward is they could give you your info. Also, it's a rule that your union information is posted somewhere in the building, preferably right by the front main entrance.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Some people told me that they will come ask you to join and bring you a hotdog and hamburger, but didnt know when they come to the center.

sortaisle

If that's how they roll in your local then be happy. You won't be that happy when they start taking money out of your check...but since they so take that much money make sure they earn it by peppering them with all your questions about you locals practices. Brown Cafe doesn't receive any union money and mores the pity...we seem to answer far more union questions than locals do. Feel free to ask advice questions or bring up funny stuff...but things that can only be answered by your local will only bring the trolls. It is funny to see it though. Good luck buddy!

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
I just want to get in there asap just so im protected. I need this job and ive been told by a guy that apparently spoke up for me during my 30 days that they werent going to put me through. I think I just lucked out because my preload manager was out for a week so i was just a shoe-in, haha! A lot of egotistical, two faced, @$$ holes there is. Thanks again for your help.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I just want to get in there asap just so im protected. I need this job and ive been told by a guy that apparently spoke up for me during my 30 days that they werent going to put me through. I think I just lucked out because my preload manager was out for a week so i was just a shoe-in, haha! A lot of egotistical, two faced, @$$ holes there is. Thanks again for your help.

If you're in a non-RTW state, you'll automatically be enrolled in the union. If you're in a RTW state, you'll need to sign a union card for dues deduction. Did a steward come into your class during orientation and give you a union card to sign?

You'll be "in" once you pass your probationary period of 30 working days in 90 calendar days, depending on what local supplemental contract you're covered under.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
If you're in a non-RTW state, you'll automatically be enrolled in the union. If you're in a RTW state, you'll need to sign a union card for dues deduction. Did a steward come into your class during orientation and give you a union card to sign?

You'll be "in" once you pass your probationary period of 30 working days in 90 calendar days, depending on what local supplemental contract you're covered under.

No, no card was issued let alone the union being mentioned. I just want to cover my ass from rapists. Someone told me at work that im still technically covered that they wish they never joined. I dont know how true that is seeing as there is alot of two faced people there. By the way Im in florida.

sortaisle

You are in a right to work state. You have to call the union or talk to a shop steward to get your union card signed. RTW laws state that you have to be represented by the union even if you don't pay dues...but they're plenty here that don't care much for that train of thought. It just seems like stealing. Representation is hardly free and taxes don't go to the union, they exist solely because of dues.

Nimnim

The Nim
No, no card was issued let alone the union being mentioned. I just want to cover my ass from rapists. Someone told me at work that im still technically covered that they wish they never joined. I dont know how true that is seeing as there is alot of two faced people there. By the way Im in florida.

Since you're in Florida, as @sortaisle said it's a right to work state and you have to fill out the paper to join the union. You said you're on preload so even if you're in the Orlando hub I couldn't tell you who to contact since I don't know any Stewards on that shift.

Nimnim

The Nim
Also even if you don't you're still under the negotiated contract and can still file grievances and the like, but the more devout union folk here will not like you. If you feel you might be filing grievances certainly sign up. If for whatever reason you don't think you'll be at UPS for long I'd personally reconsider not signing up.