United Parcel Service : UPS Lifts Ban on Beards in Diversity Push

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
United Parcel Service : UPS Lifts Ban on Beards in Diversity Push - Marketscreener

United Parcel Service Inc. is loosening its famously strict guidelines on employee appearance, including lifting a longstanding ban on facial hair and allowing natural Black hairstyles like Afros and braids.

The delivery giant said the changes, which also include eliminating gender-specific rules, are part of an effort to "celebrate diversity rather than corporate restrictions," according to an announcement on an internal website and documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

UPS, with more than 500,000 workers globally, has a long list of personal appearance guidelines that govern everything from hairstyles (no longer than collar length for men) to the length of shorts (minimally the middle of the thigh and preferably 3 inches above the knee.) Piercings, limited to earrings and small facial ones, must be "businesslike" and tattoos covered up. The rules primarily have applied to employees who do their work out in public, like delivery drivers, and excluded those who sort packages and load trucks.

rod

Retired 22 years
This otta be good. I can picture a contest between UPS drivers and FedEx ground guys to see who can look the most "homeless".

Karma...

and fyi the cover up tattoos is not enforced........dont bother setting either unenforceable rules/standards or those management won't enforce......

Karma...

as time goes on ups is looking more and more like fedex.......if only the ups stock would start performing long term like fedex stock.. maybe thats carols angle.......

Indecisi0n

I drive a dirty truck delivering dirty boxes all day. Nobody cares if I have facial hair.
Some do. A friend of mine loves to see a hard working man with some scruff on his face. So if they happen to embrace both beards rub together locking each other closer together. At least that's what he tells me.