United way 13- I was signed up for $10 a week without my authorization..

trickpony1

Would it really be that big deal if we all gave just $1 to ensure 100% participation?

Several years ago I gave $5 one time so my dispatcher would have 100% participation.

The following year $5 was taken out without me signing anything.

I told my management that if it happened again I would be writing letters to atlanta (like they care....LOL).

What would happen to a pkg car driver if he forgot his lunch money and "borrowed" $5 from his COD money?
Maybe in the "bubble of goodness" nothing would happen. In the real world, the driver would be terminated.

Ms.PacMan

Would it really be that big deal if we all gave just $1 to ensure 100% participation?

Yes
Photo-of-a-North-Korean-family-delighted-to-meet-their-new-leader.jpg
Photo-of-a-North-Korean-family-delighted-to-meet-their-new-leader.jpg

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I never gave to the United way because a a PT employee I am living under the poverty level myself. I can't see making a company that can not keep their own employees above the poverty level look good in the public eye.

Exactly! Someone gets it!

Why ask of people making a wage that can hardly pay rent in a month? It also goes towards union dues as well. I can understand drivers doing so, you make enough to throw "some" money around. But a part timer that spends 5 years here knows they cant manage any loss of funds throughout this time. The money you earn, you keep pters. Its like the union and UW want to take food out of your mouths and pull the roof from up over your heads.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Why ask of people making a wage that can hardly pay rent in a month? It also goes towards union dues as well. I can understand drivers doing so, you make enough to throw "some" money around. But a part timer that spends 5 years here knows they cant manage any loss of funds throughout this time. The money you earn, you keep pters. Its like the union and UW want to take food out of your mouths and pull the roof from up over your heads.

What is with part timers thinking you should be able to live like a king on part time wages? Part time jobs serve 2 purposes. Earn money while going to school, or earn extra money on top of another job.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...yet you can justify spending $1,140 on an AR-15 and 100 rounds of 5.56 and .223...

I am in no way trying to tell anyone how to spend their money but you are full of crap if you tell me that you cannot afford a one-time donation of $1 to help ensure your center has 100% participation.

When I was military and it was time for the CFC drive we damn sure had 100% participation. Those lower enlisted who truly could not donate had funds donated in their name by the NCO's.

I will admit that I cut my own UW donation by 80% this year. The company pushed our start time to 9:30, thus taking away an hour of OT each week. I responded by lowering my weekly contribution from $50 to $10. When my center manager asked I told him---he disagreed with my reasoning and said that I was screwing the charity, which I very well may be doing, but my point was made.

What'dyabringmetoday???

...yet you can justify spending $1,140 on an AR-15 and 100 rounds of 5.56 and .223...

I am in no way trying to tell anyone how to spend their money but you are full of crap if you tell me that you cannot afford a one-time donation of $1 to help ensure your center has 100% participation.

When I was military and it was time for the CFC drive we damn sure had 100% participation. Those lower enlisted who truly could not donate had funds donated in their name by the NCO's.

I will admit that I cut my own UW donation by 80% this year. The company pushed our start time to 9:30, thus taking away an hour of OT each week. I responded by lowering my weekly contribution from $50 to $10. When my center manager asked I told him---he disagreed with my reasoning and said that I was screwing the charity, which I very well may be doing, but my point was made.
Why would a center manager even question your donation?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would a center manager even question your donation?

Put yourself in his rather small shoes----if one of your employees had lowered their donation by 80% wouldn't you at least ask why? I know I would have. To be fair, he did thank me for the donation but also chastised me, perhaps rightfully so, for my selfishness. Hoke also chastised me for this very thing. In hindsight it may have been selfish on my part but I felt that a statement needed to be made.

Have you heard any rumors about possible major changes to our pension? There is a new member (Upsyours) who started two threads on this very topic---he heard that our pension may be bought out by UPS similar to what just happened to the New England Pension fund. Any rumors?

Ms.PacMan

I will admit that I cut my own UW donation by 80% this year. The company pushed our start time to 9:30, thus taking away an hour of OT each week. You've said this in a couple threads and if they change your start time by an hour then you get back to the bldg. an hour later, assuming all things remain the same in your dispatch. There is no OT reduction unless UPS is cutting the slack out of your day.

Donating money should be for the benefit of the charity, not not achieve 100% participation. It's the total donated that counts not how many contribute.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They start us 15 minutes later each day which works out to an hour each week. I used to get back at the same time but have resolved this year to stay out when the need arises.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
Sadly, the process used to solicit donations isn't "above board" in many centers. If a manager asks and the employee declines, why can't that be the end of it?

I decided to donate this year because a charity I never knew the United Way supported was listed. I think it would be good if all supported charities were listed up front, not just someone's favorite.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sadly, the process used to solicit donations isn't "above board" is many centers. If a manager asks and the employee declines, why can't that be the end of it?

I decided to donate this year because a charity I never knew the United Way supported was listed. I think it would be good if all supported charities were listed up front, not just someone's favorite.

Donate online through upsers.com and you don't have to put up with their pressure tactics. You can also see all of the supported charities, not just their favorites, listed by state.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader

The ar-15 is something I wanted, I paid good money for it, yet was very cheap by internet standerds.

I've given links to the past on this so-called non profit charity handles their own CEO with a huge retirement and benefits. I hate when they do that, yet they all do that. Hows one to know where that 1, 10, 50 dollar donation really goes towards. That money given has to be used first on a cooperate level. Its almost like throwing good money in the trash, and never using or seeing it again. The gun is something I can hold, use and might become a huge investment in the future.

You take the pick of the two, which one would you want to get.

A dollar is a dollar, see fit on how you deem to save or spend it.

trickpony1

Why can't people just write a check to their favorite charity and leave out the middle man?

(I know, I know......it would mean 10 less minutes you could be on BrownCafe....)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why can't people just write a check to their favorite charity and leave out the middle man?

(I know, I know......it would mean 10 less minutes you could be on BrownCafe....)

Good question.

Last year my total charitable donations were around $4K. $2,600 of that went to the United Way designated to the Hospice of the North Country. There is no way that I could write a single check for $4K; however, I can easily do $50/week to UW, $20/week to my church and the balance in donations to the Salvation Army and OLVA throughout the year. Also, UPS matches 15% of our donations, which is intended to cover the overhead and which means that the Hospice received every cent of my donation.

I suppose I could write 52 checks for $50---payroll deduction takes care of this for me without the option of forgetting or possibly skipping a week here or there.
I would also be lying if I said that I didn't donate in part for the tax deductions I receive in return---I get back roughly 25% of my total donations from the federal government as part of my refund.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Just an update-

Management assured me by diad that the correction was confirmed by payroll and that deductions would stop.

I had worked the whole year and never missed a pay period.

The manager who entered (or more likely had one of his minions enter as was usually the case with his un-ethics) was fired a few weeks before Christmas for(what we think) sheeting dozens of mis-routes as future or ordering his sup's todel them after hours. He was known as the used car sales man here in central cal.

Steve aka RoBo

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
What is with part timers thinking you should be able to live like a king on part time wages? Part time jobs serve 2 purposes. Earn money while going to school, or earn extra money on top of another job.

If thats what others want to do, go right ahead. I've been a full time student and full time worker, which isnt allowed in this state. But I did it anyways. The job was a lot less stressful then this one is at part time. Before I knew it, I was killing myself week in and out. Couldnt study, sleep patterns were off and I thought I was lossing it to top it all off.

But I do think the union is screwing the newer part timers, with one pay rasies a year. Talk about slowly gaining money for a job that kills you on a regular basis. Yet, in time, as I ve seen the money is getting better, and chances for fulltime seem more realistic every day. A simple kind've life, is good enough for me.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
WOW! That has to be our former manager who transferred to the Central Cal area. I'd heard he was fired. If its the same person, he wasn't always a "used car salesman". I remember him from his part time supervisor days. He was a square dealer back then.

As he started moving up, several senior drivers took him aside and warned him not to let the company eat his soul.

Too Bad.

But when he managed our center, I had the same problem concerning an unauthorized payroll deduction for the United Way.
Just an update-

Management assured me by diad that the correction was confirmed by payroll and that deductions would stop.

I had worked the whole year and never missed a pay period.

The manager who entered (or more likely had one of his minions enter as was usually the case with his un-ethics) was fired a few weeks before Christmas for(what we think) sheeting dozens of mis-routes as future or ordering his sup's todel them after hours. He was known as the used car sales man here in central cal.

Steve aka RoBo