United Way

drewed

Shankman
We're heading into the contribution season again, Im just curious how many people are planning on contributing this year?

I have given a WHOPPING $1 per week for 23 years, prolly...yes prolly.. will do it again this year.
But it comes from the heart.

pretzel_man

I donate a pretty significant amount.

I was very poor growning up, and am grateful for what I have now. I've researched other charities and found United Way a good fit for me.

I used to give to lots of charities, then started researching them all. I found that they only gave a small percentage to the actual program. The majority went to overhead.

With United Way, the vast majority goes to actually doing good work.

Make your personal decision, but for me, I'm very happy with United Way. Its one way I feel like I'm giving back.

P-Man

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
give it to a homeless person or family in your neighborhood,you know your $$ will be put to use then,and you will feel good.,we don't need to feel good by having the Gestapo pressure us WHAT WOULD JESUS DO ????

Babagounj

Strength through joy
ZERO
Between the strong arm tactics of ups and the overpaid salaries of the united way officers I decided several years ago to keep my money local.
Charity begins at home.......my neighbors needs is where my money goes.

I have no problem giving to charity. It's the high pressure campaigns (by both UPS and UW) that made me not want to give. You feel like you're at a time share sales presentation. If they didn't pressure me, then I'd be more likely to give. Plus, in the true spirit of charity, it should be a personal decision and not turned into an annual campaign or used to selfishly boast how generous UPS is.

kenmei

I wont give them a penny, last year they force me to donate. I don't know what is it and what is it for. I think i am the one that need donation, i am broke.:happy-very:

rwsmith67

I quit giving through U.W. years ago when 2 drivers in my center were denied help because they made too much money, I chose two charities in my area and donate the money directly, I don't need U.W. skimming off my donation for "overhead", I learned long ago how to write a check! I also like to see the smile on their faces when I hand them the money.:happy2:

New Englander

Get used to it. 7 years and 3 buildings, no matter where I've gone they always use the same tactics.

Exactly why they should get used to the big fat $0 from me. Funny part is that I was a United Way campaign person at my previous job.

Being brought up to the center manager's office and pressured to donate and THEN donate MORE then I had been for 4 years got to me.

You know what.....I'd donate a days pay and my time to a local charity, UPS should match my days pay to them. That I would do.

hdkappler

the ua was a good thing at one time.10 yrs.ago there was a scandel.plus i have heard the samething about a few drivers who were diened and would of paid them back when they get on there feet.tell the c.m. or hr.it's not any of there bus.what you give.

wornoutupser

I have no problem giving to charity. It's the high pressure campaigns (by both UPS and UW) that made me not want to give. You feel like you're at a time share sales presentation. If they didn't pressure me, then I'd be more likely to give. Plus, in the true spirit of charity, it should be a personal decision and not turned into an annual campaign or used to selfishly boast how generous UPS is.

Freeloader,
A recently departed center manager told me that management was given a quota and that any amount under that was to be made up by them! No wonder they push!

Anyone have a comment- Tie, you out there?