Unnecessary bid sheet bumped me out of work! No spots to fill

km3

Your business agent has more authority than your steward does. With 6 years worth of seniority, you should be able to find someone you can bump...even on another shift if necessary.

6 years

Is this in a small center? or a center within a big hub?

Do you have seniority over other employees who are working in the center? (possibly on another sort also)
small center .. An yes have senority over all but one on local sort .. And I'm currently second to last on my preload sort .. Been only on preload for six years an they recently made a job because of calls in an it's bumping me completely out of work

6 years

Moving to local sort would mean I'd have to change my second 40 hour full time job that I've been working at for five years .. Just figured I'd get on brown cafe an see what other upsers have to say .. Or to see if it's worth fighting for

km3

Moving to local sort would mean I'd have to change my second 40 hour full time job that I've been working at for five years .. Just figured I'd get on brown cafe an see what other upsers have to say .. Or to see if it's worth fighting for
No promises that you'll succeed, but I think it's worth fighting for. I wouldn't take it lying down. At the risk of repeating myself though, call your local union hall and track down your BA.

Dr.Brownz

small center .. An yes have senority over all but one on local sort .. And I'm currently second to last on my preload sort .. Been only on preload for six years an they recently made a job because of calls in an it's bumping me completely out of work

I see.

My feeling is your up the creek but you never know what kind of wrangling the union can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Where to find article
200.gif

Johney

So let me get this straight, Preload was shorthanded due to call ins, they bid a "position" and it's filled by someone, "one position". Now all of a sudden they are fully staffed and you have no work? That makes absolutely no sense.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
My preload posted a bid sheet .. A guy with higher senority signed the bid from local sort .. Which is now present on preload an is currently bumping me out of work .. There was no spot for him to fill .. Management posted the bid because of call ins on preload an thought adding another guy an keeping me on call would help management from calling a driver in .. This is a small preload .. I need to know what article to research so I can file

So let me get this straight, Preload was shorthanded due to call ins, they bid a "position" and it's filled by someone, "one position". Now all of a sudden they are fully staffed and you have no work? That makes absolutely no sense.

Are you are driver with no work? Why would they call a driver in if they have you (preloader)? Please clarify.

Dr.Brownz

So what this really means is that management has the right to mis manage anytime they want .. As long as the job get job get done

It may suck for you but now management can cover call ins more easily than before right?
Are you are driver with no work? Why would they call a driver in if they have you (preloader)? Please clarify.

Read the thread the details are there. But like most management you will still probably need the answer spoon fed to you. Need me to chew your meals too??

By The Book

My preload posted a bid sheet .. A guy with higher senority signed the bid from local sort .. Which is now present on preload an is currently bumping me out of work .. There was no spot for him to fill .. Management posted the bid because of call ins on preload an thought adding another guy an keeping me on call would help management from calling a driver in .. This is a small preload .. I need to know what article to research so I can file
If they need another employee they need to hire one which puts you 1 more up the seniority list. If you get bumped from your spot because of this bid, bump the person who is under you in seniority on your shift. When they need extra help it shouldn't bump a regular out of his/her primary shift, they fill in where they can use them.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It may suck for you but now management can cover call ins more easily than before right?

Read the thread the details are there. But like most management you will still probably need the answer spoon fed to you. Need me to chew your meals too??

Thanks Dr Brownz but I did read ALL the threads and it still made no sense, but hey who am I to question a question.

dudebro

If they need another employee they need to hire one which puts you 1 more up the seniority list. If you get bumped from your spot because of this bid, bump the person who is under you in seniority on your shift. When they need extra help it shouldn't bump a regular out of his/her primary shift, they fill in where they can use them.

I'm inferring a lot, but it sounds like they put the extra preload job up for bid, and when a higher seniority employee from the local sort took it, they hired the replacement (if one was needed) on the local sort. 6 years can't work that sort, therefore, the layoff of him or her, and probably the employee last on the preload seniority list. It sucks that 6 years is caught up in the numbers for now (until a retirement on that preload or promotion to FT), but I doubt the contract will forbid management from increasing the assigned staff on the preload.

km3

Personally I think management should have looked for double shifters. And if call-ins are enough of a problem in an 8 person center where a new position has to be created, I want to know where all the warning letters that should have been getting passed out ended up. You don't create a new position in an 8 person because of call-ins. 15+? Sure, but not 8. (6 years mentioned that his center his about 8-9 people in a previous thread. Curiously, the details of his account of what happened are a little different in that thread, but I'll play along for now.)