Unnecessary bid sheet bumped me out of work! No spots to fill

Dr.Brownz

Thanks Dr Brownz but I did read ALL the threads and it still made no sense, but hey who am I to question a question.

Management in his building decided to add another person to the preload "crew", which is not exactly a formal designation but its a past practice that exists in many buildings. Before my center had preload we had the local sort crew and the 2 person pt crew that worked mornings to help the drivers sort and load. It was always a pain in the ass to cover a pter call in in the morning so my center did a similar thing, added a 3rd pt in the morning crew(they really only needed 2 to unload trailers). Sometimes the third guy is bumped by air drivers who get the air from the airport.

But actually there is one unanswered question: Was OP the one who was calling in? And now is this retaliation for calling in?

Overpaid Union Thug

small center .. An yes have senority over all but one on local sort .. And I'm currently second to last on my preload sort .. Been only on preload for six years an they recently made a job because of calls in an it's bumping me completely out of work

At worst you should have been bumped to last on preload. In that case you'd be the first laid off. You shouldn't be laid off it they added a position to account for call ins.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Personally I think management should have looked for double shifters. And if call-ins are enough of a problem in an 8 person center where a new position has to be created, I want to know where all the warning letters that should have been getting passed out ended up. You don't create a new position in an 8 person because of call-ins. 15+? Sure, but not 8. (6 years mentioned that his center his about 8-9 people in a previous thread. Curiously, the details of his account of what happened are a little different in that thread, but I'll play along for now.)
Double shifters, at least in our district, require permission from the District Manager on a case by case basis.

I know we overstaff on our preload because of circumstances like this, but there is always someone who wants a day off so it is never an issue.

km3

Double shifters, at least in our district, require permission from the District Manager on a case by case basis.

I know we overstaff on our preload because of circumstances like this, but there is always someone who wants a day off so it is never an issue.

I don't know how it works here. You'd think they'd allow them to be used in psuedo-emergencies, though. Like 1/4-1/2 of a center calling in, or something.

dudebro

I don't know how it works here. You'd think they'd allow them to be used in psuedo-emergencies, though. Like 1/4-1/2 of a center calling in, or something.
Yes, but if the number of double shifting employees gets large enough, it lends credence to the idea that UPS needs more FT inside employees. This is how Article 22.3s were created. The Union demanded FT inside jobs. The Company said no. The fact that there were many double shifters swung arbitration cases and ultimately the contract in favor of adding the jobs. This is why, as FrigidFTSup says, double shifting requires District Manager approval. It can become a serious labor issue. So the Company does works double shifts, but when and how many are usually subject to agreement between the local and the company. The Company usually doesn't just work them anywhere.

PT Car Washer

Yes, but if the number of double shifting employees gets large enough, it lends credence to the idea that UPS needs more FT inside employees. This is how Article 22.3s were created. The Union demanded FT inside jobs. The Company said no. The fact that there were many double shifters swung arbitration cases and ultimately the contract in favor of adding the jobs. This is why, as FrigidFTSup says, double shifting requires District Manager approval. It can become a serious labor issue. So the Company does works double shifts, but when and how many are usually subject to agreement between the local and the company. The Company usually doesn't just work them anywhere.
Excellent points. Also double shifting goes by seniority and the company would be paying an old PTer close to $50/hr. to do the job they could be paying $10/hr. Better off working PT sups and pay the grievance if anyone does file.