Unreported crash and alleged dishonesty

ski4077

A few weeks back, (day 1) while making a right turn, my rear tires caught a 2 foot high paver block wall (trying to keep people from running over grass I suspect). The blocks fell over and I ran a bunch over. No damage to the car or blocks, just knocked over. My intended stop was 4 doors past the corner where the blocks were so I stopped there. I got out, saw the blocks and looked at the package car. Saw no damage so went to deliver the stop then go pick the blocks up. Of course couldn't find the package. Finally found it, delivered it (driver side). Walking back to the car I looked at my next stop and realized I was behind (getting a business off by 5). I got back in the driver side and rolled on, never giving thought to the blocks. Got the business off at 4:50, got my air back with 15 mins to spare. Forgot all about knocking some pavers over. Next morning, (day 2) I was called into the office. You guessed it, video camera. Center manager reamed me a new one, told me if the homeowner wanted us to pay I'd be terminated. I explained what happened and he sent me on the road. Same route. I stopped by the homeowners on my lunch, told him it was me and apologized. I told him I intended to pick them up, explained how I forgot and apologized. He explained how he didn't want any money or see anyone get in trouble, he was just upset I didn't stop. Day 3, called in and discharged for dishonesty. Filed my grievance and have been out of work 2 1/2 weeks. Have my local hearing in a few days with my BA and the labor manager. Think I got a chance?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Unless your center is REALLY hard up for drivers, you'll need to find new work.

You should've immediately stopped, attempted to make contact with home owner (if not home, leave short note explaining what happened and how to contact UPS), and then contacted management.

Good luck and if you do get brought back, slow the friend down.

Indecisi0n

Bet your wishing you had just stopped now. I would have rather had a missed business than what happened. Lesson learned, slow the hell down.

BUCN85

A few weeks back, (day 1) while making a right turn, my rear tires caught a 2 foot high paver block wall (trying to keep people from running over grass I suspect). The blocks fell over and I ran a bunch over. No damage to the car or blocks, just knocked over. My intended stop was 4 doors past the corner where the blocks were so I stopped there. I got out, saw the blocks and looked at the package car. Saw no damage so went to deliver the stop then go pick the blocks up. Of course couldn't find the package. Finally found it, delivered it (driver side). Walking back to the car I looked at my next stop and realized I was behind (getting a business off by 5). I got back in the driver side and rolled on, never giving thought to the blocks. Got the business off at 4:50, got my air back with 15 mins to spare. Forgot all about knocking some pavers over. Next morning, (day 2) I was called into the office. You guessed it, video camera. Center manager reamed me a new one, told me if the homeowner wanted us to pay I'd be terminated. I explained what happened and he sent me on the road. Same route. I stopped by the homeowners on my lunch, told him it was me and apologized. I told him I intended to pick them up, explained how I forgot and apologized. He explained how he didn't want any money or see anyone get in trouble, he was just upset I didn't stop. Day 3, called in and discharged for dishonesty. Filed my grievance and have been out of work 2 1/2 weeks. Have my local hearing in a few days with my BA and the labor manager. Think I got a chance?
Report EVERYTHING no matter how big or small. I've even reported being in somebody's grass a matter of only a couple inches no damage. But I wanted my on road to know just in case customer called saying I was in those grass

35years

Gravy route
Totally up to UPS now.
People stop covering up accidents.
Unless they are serious, you will not be terminated permanently for them, no mater how many you have. We had a driver with 6 in a 8 month period. He is still at UPS.

Make it easy on your boss...
As soon as you have the accident, take a deep breath and remind yourself it is not worth your job to not report it.
Then talk to the property owner and make sure they are on board with no compensation.
Then call your center manager, not the OMS or anyone else.
Explain the situation to your center manager including the property owner's reaction.
He can then decide if he wants another accident on the books, and you are covered.
He has the power to decide and he has motivation not to count it as an accident.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yeap, I have had some CMs that would look the other way if its something minor that doesn't have a paper trail. Report everything immediately, it's not worth getting fired over a small mistake over integrity. The company knows exactly where you are and for how long with their technology. There are video cameras everywhere these days.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
I TAPPED a trash can turning around on a dead end street...didn't even knock it over...called my sup and told him and he said why are you telling me this who cares? I said it's my career I care. He said ok whatever and hung up hahahaha...but if I didn't report it and it was on camera they'd probably fire me

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Always, always report. If the homeowner (or whoever) doesn't complain then management will let it slide because they don't want an accident on their record any more than you do.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not necessarily,don't they generally keep you working"pending the investigation"?
I've never seen anyone fired for good that was "working pending investigation". Obviously depends on your local but my BA says if they continue to let you work they are basically admitting they don't think you're THAT big of a :censored2: up.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Talking to the home owner again might be your only hope. Explain to the home owner you got fired and the only way you get your job back is if he calls ups and lies for you. The home owner could simply say it was Fedex who hit the blocks and he was mistaken. If he retracts his complaint then there is no proof of anything? Worth a shot.