Unreported Injuries

Integrity

Binge Poster
To All:

Have you ever been injured while working at UPS and have decided not to report the injury?

If you are willing please share the details of your story and the reason you decided not to report it.

Sincerely,
I

anonymous4

Yup. Why? Because you don't lift things all day every day at the pace this company "requires" without tweaking something. I have hurt my back doing everything right. I won't be told "the employee failed to" which is the cookie cutter response for every injury I've heard of in my building. You wan't me to load/unload/sort @ 350/2000/1400 (faster and faster) but don't get injured, if you followed your "methods" nothing will ever happen, right? We aren't robots but are treated as such. I have dealt with injuries playing sports. I did what I could and waited the injury out. Was it the right thing? I don't know/care.

Here is a fun question, Integrity. What does a supervisor do when he/she is injured doing bargaining unit work? All of the supervisors on my shift work in some capacity. Some work all of the twilight shift. I have seen them get injured and you can almost be positive they will remain tight lipped about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yup. Why? Because you don't lift things all day every day at the pace this company "requires" without tweaking something. I have hurt my back doing everything right. I won't be told "the employee failed to" which is the cookie cutter response for every injury I've heard of in my building. You wan't me to load/unload/sort @ 350/2000/1400 (faster and faster) but don't get injured, if you followed your "methods" nothing will ever happen, right? We aren't robots but are treated as such. I have dealt with injuries playing sports. I did what I could and waited the injury out. Was it the right thing? I don't know/care.

Here is a fun question, Integrity. What does a supervisor do when he/she is injured doing bargaining unit work? All of the supervisors on my shift work in some capacity. Some work all of the twilight shift. I have seen them get injured and you can almost be positive they will remain tight lipped about it.
Liquid Swords,

Thank You for your prompt response.

To answer your fun question:

On more than one occassion Manager level employees have committed insurance fraud by getting medical treatment and saying they were injured away from work.

I suspect this is a wide spread practice.

Sincerely,
I

klolx

I didn't report mine because it was the day before our BBQ day for reaching 30k safe work days. Them tri tips were good.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I rolled my ankle about halfway through my day a few years ago. Went to the ER--it was not a sprain but I was still advised to take a day off and rest it. My on-car had gone to the ER with me and agreed with the doctor. I took the day off, elevated the ankle and rested, came back the following day. The injury was never reported to Liberty Mutual. I submitted a claim to Combined and received a check for $250.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I rolled my ankle about halfway through my day a few years ago. Went to the ER--it was not a sprain but I was still advised to take a day off and rest it. My on-car had gone to the ER with me and agreed with the doctor. I took the day off, elevated the ankle and rested, came back the following day. The injury was never reported to Liberty Mutual. I submitted a claim to Combined and received a check for $250.
Boy, that's shocking. A center manager that would prefer not to report an injury. Especially, in this district. Amazing.

Integrity

Binge Poster
UpstateNYUPSer,

It has been a while since I have posted. I hope this finds you well.

I am not familiar with Combined. What is it?

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UpstateNYUPSer,

It has been a while since I have posted. I hope this finds you well.

I am not familiar with Combined. What is it?

Sincerely,
I

I noticed that there has been a lack of Integrity on Brown Cafe lately. I took a little break myself but am now back full-time.

Combined Insurance sells many products, including supplemental health insurance.

DS

Fenderbender
I noticed that there has been a lack of Integrity on Brown Cafe lately.
Dave!!! that was very resourceful.(insert smiley)
I took a little break myself but am now back full-time.
But this time it seems as a somewhat kinder, gentler,UpstateNYUPSer
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok,back on topic....yea i admit that in my 21 years I have not reported
injuries several times.I just work through it till it goes away.
I am a bit crazy though,when I broke a rib a few years ago,chasing our cat,
I missed one day.It hurt like hell,but it finally healed.
I don't advocate failing to report injuries,I just believe that most are rarely
serious,and only you know how much it hurts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DS, thank you for the kind words.

I would like to add that I also do not advocate not reporting injuries as what may not hurt today may hurt like hell tomorrow. In the case of my rolled ankle, a day off spent elevating and resting was all that I needed.

Re-Raise

It is kind of like an old football coach asked me one time, "Are you hurt or are you injured?"

I hurt myself all the time. Scrapes, small cuts, sore muscles and strains. Those type of things I just work through.

If I believe I am injured, screw their numbers I am reporting it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
DS, thank you for the kind words.

I would like to add that I also do not advocate not reporting injuries as what may not hurt today may hurt like hell tomorrow. In the case of my rolled ankle, a day off spent elevating and resting was all that I needed.

Who paid the medical bill? If paid by Liberty Mutual then the injury must have been reported. No way our health fund should pay for ANY work related injuries!

Integrity

Binge Poster

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Combined pays wherever or whenever the injury occurs regardless of whether the injury was reported to our insurance company or not.

The claim form, which would have been submitted had the injury been work related or not, was completed with Integrity.