Unum - Long Term Disability Insurance

beentheredonethat

Did any of you folks out there in mgmt get a packet from UNUM regarding Long term disability insurance? The idea itself has some merits. However, what I found disturbing is that UPS turned over to a third party, my social security number and my salary, my home phone number and my address along with my name. To me, that's too much Personal Identifiable Information. I try to not give out that information to anyone that I do not have a working relationship with. (ie My bank, my employer etc). Was there some paperwork that allows UPS to do this? To me this seems to be a breach of trust. What happens if UNUM has a data breach and some hackers get all the information about me that UPS provided to UNUM without my permission? Wanted thoughts of other mgmt folks.... Thanks

beentheredonethat

Wow.. I was upset that UPS gave away all my PII information. I'm really upset now, that they are trying to get us to buy this from a company with such a bad reputation. I wonder how much UPS is making by offering up all our PII information to UNUM?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Why do all the emails at my UPS email begin with... protect your MIP... in regards to this "insurance"?

beentheredonethat

Photog, I don't disagree that the product may be a good idea. I don't even mind that UPS did this. What I do mind, is that without my permission UPS gave to UNUM my personal Identifiable Information. This is a huge breach of trust. Why didn't they do virtually everything they did, but give generics for price. For example if your avg salary is 80K, then the cost\month is 80/month and if your avg salary is 90K then the cost\month is 90/month. (Notating that avg salary includes the MIP). Then have you sign the form and only when you sign it and return to UPS does UPS provide to UNUM your information to them. I do wonder how much money UPS got from UNUM, or if this was a quid pro quo. (ie you provide us your mgmt info to sell them insurance and we give you our business). I'm not saying that happened, but why else would UPS give away our data?

mariaflores

Has anyone had experience with Unum's long-term disability insurance? I'm considering getting a policy, but I'd like to hear about others' experiences with their coverage, claims process, and customer service before making a decision. Any insights or feedback would be greatly appreciated!