Unusual/crazy stuff while on the clock

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What are some of the unusual/out of the ordinary/downright crazy things you've had to do while delivering? I thought of this yesterday while loading 3 dogs into the back of the truck that had gotten loose and were running on a highway. The dogs recognized me and came running up to the truck to get a biscuit, so I stopped and turned on the 4-ways and got em loaded up and off the road for a 3 mile drive back to their owner's house. In my 27 years this is probably the 7th or 8th time I have "delivered" dogs back home.

I remember having NDA medications to deliver to a customer a few years back during a snowstorm. The customer lived up on a hill and even with chains on I simply could not get up there. They were adult sig required, so they couldnt be indirected. This was a rural area, and some of his neighbors were riding ATV's around in the snow, so when I explained the situation they offered to help. So... I hopped on the back of the ATV with the DIAD and the package under my coat and went for a 2 mile ride up the hill to the customers house.

There was another time out in the boonies during a windstorm when, as I was making a delivery, a couple of trees came down in the driveway behind me. They took out the power line and the phone line and blocked the driveway leaving me trapped. The lady of the house was there, so she grabbed a flashlight and let me into the garage so that I could get her husbands chain saw. I wound up spending about half an hour cutting up those trees with the chain saw and hooking a chain around the trunks so that she could drag em out of the way with their tractor.

I also spent about 20 minutes one time using the package car to help "herd" a loose cow back into its pasture. It had gotten thru the fence and was running towards me, and we were less that 300 yards from a busy highway. There were 2 people trying to chase it on foot while a 3rd was running back to the farm to get a truck and trailer to load it into. There were fences on either side of this narrow one lane road, so every time the cow tried to get by me on one side I would back up and swing my tail into the fence to block it. This went on until its owners arrived with a truck and a trailer and a rope to lasso it. Had that 1200 lb cow gotten by me and onto the highway, someone could have run into it at 60 MPH and been killed so I think all the back first exceptions were probably worth it.....

Last edited:

over9five

Staff member
Gawd I must have had boring routes, I can't think of a thing.

Great job going the extra mile Sober, but I know I wouldn't have done any of that.
Dogs loose? Stupid owners.
Tree falls down? Call center, I'm not a arborist.
Big cow running at me? Get out of the way.
Can't get up driveway? Try again tomorrow.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I remember having NDA medications to deliver to a customer a few years back during a snowstorm. The customer lived up on a hill and even with chains on I simply could not get up there. They were adult sig required, so they couldnt be indirected. This was a rural area, and some of his neighbors were riding ATV's around in the snow, so when I explained the situation they offered to help. So... I hopped on the back of the ATV with the DIAD and the package under my coat and went for a 2 mile ride up the hill to the customers house.

Granny's QVC can wait, but medication probably cannot. Way to go the extra mile (and then some) on that one.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Tried on a pair of Larry Birds sneakers that was being sent out to be bronzed !!
Got hitting instructions from Bill Buckner at his batting cages!
Almost knocked
over the lady that played the Nanny (Fran ??) at a wedding dress shop!
Delivered a cook book to Julia Child, nice woman !!

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
In our center you would get a talking to for over servicing the customer. It's a shame they don't acknowledge going above and beyond anymore.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There are so many things wrong with picking up dogs I dont have time to list them.

The company would have every right to fire you for stealing time is just the beginning.

Brownslave688

Wow just read the whole post. Don't know how long ago some of this happened but other than the medication one. All the rest you're just begging for something to happen and you get fired.

Re-Raise

I just finished typing in some pretty good stories and then I came to my senses and remembered that I talk too much sometimes and thought I might be better off deleting them. I am not sure what the statute of limitations is on some of my behavior.

over9five

Staff member
I just finished typing in some pretty good stories and then I came to my senses and remembered that I talk too much sometimes and thought I might be better off deleting them. I am not sure what the statute of limitations is on some of my behavior.
Don't worry, it's just us. We won't tell anyone else!

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Center asked me to go to an elderly woman's house and move some packages indoors for her. Her driver had left them on the deck and it was starting to rain. Got there and there were no packages on the deck, but she asked me to move some things around in her garage for her. I was there about 30 minutes rearranging her garage for her. Never saw any packages that we delivered. Nice lady though.

And then there is always this one...
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/resi-delivery-observations.212783/page-4#post-461377

soberups

Gawd I must have had boring routes, I can't think of a thing.

Great job going the extra mile Sober, but I know I wouldn't have done any of that.
Dogs loose? Stupid owners.
Tree falls down? Call center, I'm not a arborist.
Big cow running at me? Get out of the way.
Can't get up driveway? Try again tomorrow.

Dogs loose? They were running down the highway, 2 of them almost got hit and there was almost an accident at 55MPH. The dogs saw my truck, ran up to me, and jumped in to get a cookie. Are you saying I should have just pushed them back out on the road and left?

Tree falling down--it took out the phone line and the power to the house. This was before cell phones. There was no other way out, I wasnt going anywhere until the tree got cut through, so it was either do it myself or wait for hours until her husband got home.

Big cow running at me? There was a major highway less than 1/4 of a mile behind me. A 1200 lb cow getting hit by a car at 55MPH is a potential fatality. I had the means to prevent that, so I did. 2 years later, the people who owned that cow wound up towing me out of a snowdrift, saving UPS hundreds of dollars in lost time and tow bills. Good karma saves $$ in the long run.

Cant get up the driveway, try again tomorrow? Most of the time I would agree, but this was NDA meds for a veteran. Plus I got to ride an ATV on the clock.

soberups

There are so many things wrong with picking up dogs I dont have time to list them.

The company would have every right to fire you for stealing time is just the beginning.

Are you familiar with any actual terminations for theft of time? I am. What the termination is actually for is dishonesty because the employee cannot provide a suitable explanation for why he was observed sitting at his lunch or break for a greater amount of time than reported on his time card. Were I asked about the time spent driving the dogs back home, I would simply tell the truth about it. Warning letter? Maybe. Termination? No.

soberups

Wow just read the whole post. Don't know how long ago some of this happened but other than the medication one. All the rest you're just begging for something to happen and you get fired.

Please point out the relevant contract articles that would justify termination without first being issued a warning letter.

Brownslave688

Please point out the relevant contract articles that would justify termination without first being issued a warning letter.
I'm in the central. I can be fired for anything.

I'm
Sorry you're not a ranch herding cattle and dogs is not a suitable excuse for time spent on the clock not working.